On-X Aortic Heart Valves: Safer with Less Warfarin On-X Aortic Heart Valves: Safer with Less Warfarin

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tissue Valvers. How Old is Yours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epstns View Post
    . . . and just to cloud the waters, IIRC when I first joined here long ago (in 2002. . . yeesh!), the ranks were almost even - mitral valve patients and aortic valve patients. I'll bet that if we had the ability to do any research, we might find that the proportions move over time, depending on some massively random set of variables.

Just like so many other characteristics. . . we're ALL heart valve patients.

Interesting to hear that.. Black Swans they're called random variables like that. And yes true..we are ALL connected by a common thread

Comment

Can people mentioned their age at implantation along with the age of the valve ? would help a lot

Comment

My pulmonary pig valve turned 19 years old this month.

Comment

I'm 64y/o and scheduled for tests at BWH Boston soon - have beed diagnosed with Aortic stenosis and looks like I will need a vlv replacement. Any recommendations?
          Would def like to go w a tissue one.
          Thanks John

Comment

I'm 64y/o and scheduled for tests at BWH Boston soon - have been diagnosed with Aortic stenosis and looks like I will need a vlv replacement. Any recommendations?
            Thanks John

Comment

50 years young. AVR surgery completed 1 May 2017, hence 2 weeks. St. Jude Medical Trifecta valve - 28mm (bovine). So far so good. Still receiving antibiotic treatment for Bacteremia (blood poisoning) which led to Endocarditis (perforated aortic value - regurgitation), otherwise I would have been released today. Expected hospital release date 24 May 2017. JCG
              BAV (congenital) / AVR May 1, 2017. St. Jude Trifecta value (28mm). National Hospital Org. - Tokyo Medical Ctr. Dr. Osako, #2 Dr. Yamada.

Comment

Hi this is my first post. Got my Edwards 3000tfx 3 months ago. Great forum. I am 64.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Oboil View Post
                  I'm 64y/o and scheduled for tests at BWH Boston soon - have been diagnosed with Aortic stenosis and looks like I will need a vlv replacement. Any recommendations?
                  Thanks John
                  Hi John, I just had aortic replacement 3months ago. Not as bad as I expected. Almost did not want to leave the hospital. The nurses were incredible in the ICU. I am assuming you checked out the hospital and the surgeon. That is the most important thing you can do IMO. U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORTS rates hospitals even the smaller ones like mine. Just google your hospital and put in U.S. NEWS HOSPITAL RATINGS. As far as valve type talk to the surgeon. Mine was neutral. He said with the advancements in TAVR the tissue valve at my age was looking like a good choice, but he was certainly open to the mechanical valve. I chose the tissue valve because I tend to be a bleeder. Low dose aspirin effects me a lot. I have to not take it if I get a dental cleaning I bleed so much, so I thought I might not do well on warfarin.

Comment

Here is Japan there was very little air time given to the mechanical option. With TAVR procedures soon to be covered in Japan and already covered in my native Canada it seemed a rolling 10 year catheter fix was much better than Warafin (daily). In terms of which tissue option the most common here are Crown (a smaller value and the "avg" value size used in Japan is a 22mm) and Trifecta which I went with as fitment was better (assumed 25mm but the biggest 28mm used in the end). Day 15 and all good so far. Quite relieved to be on this side of it. Best of luck with your decision and eventual procedure. JCG
                    BAV (congenital) / AVR May 1, 2017. St. Jude Trifecta value (28mm). National Hospital Org. - Tokyo Medical Ctr. Dr. Osako, #2 Dr. Yamada.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcgtok17 View Post
                      Here is Japan there was very little air time given to the mechanical option. With TAVR procedures soon to be covered in Japan and already covered in my native Canada it seemed a rolling 10 year catheter fix was much better than Warafin (daily). In terms of which tissue option the most common here are Crown (a smaller value and the "avg" value size used in Japan is a 22mm) and Trifecta which I went with as fitment was better (assumed 25mm but the biggest 28mm used in the end). Day 15 and all good so far. Quite relieved to be on this side of it. Best of luck with your decision and eventual procedure. JCG
                      Thanks for providing this update. It would be great to hear back over the coming months how things are and how the valve is working for you. I think you are one of the "youngest" patients that received TAVR on this forum - definitely a trend to watch which could change future treatments especially when there is no issue with an aneurysm.

Comment

• Juli,
                        My AVR operation earlier this month was OHS, I was noting that for future operations it may well be possible to avoid open heart surgery with the TAVI/TAVR procedures. JCG

Comment

• Originally posted by ashadds View Post
                          Can people mentioned their age at implantation along with the age of the valve ? would help a lot
                          totally agree,i was about to choose magna ease bovine valve when i took aortic valve replacement 3months ago in china,beijing An zhen hospital。 my surgeon strongly recommended i to choose mechanical valve since i was 36 then,too young for the tissue valve。Finally i accepted his advice to choose st jude mechanical valve

Comment

totally agree,i was about to choose magna ease bovine valve when i took aortic valve replacement 3months ago in china,beijing An zhen hospital。 my surgeon strongly recommended i to choose mechanical valve since i was 36 then,too young for the tissue valve。Finally i accepted his advice to choose st jude mechanical valve

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X