Tissue vs. Mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think number of surgeries has some bearing on our choices later in life.......
With that........
Bdryer
At age 55, diagnosis and surgery in same year......severe AS, valve opening .6 cm. .4 cm at surgery .
Mechanical

1. John
2. 62
3. Edwards Life Science bovine

My 1 year anniversary is in 2 weeks. I've been thinking about the surgery a lot recently. My surgery and recovery were so uneventful that the thought of a re-do does not really bother me(at this point). Can't say enough about the stress and worry leading up to the big day. The other side is lots better!

@sylviayasgur - thanks for the kind words...hope Joey continues to be doing well...

@jklump - I couldn't agree with you more! I am just past my one month (Bovine) and appear to be having the same post-op experience that you experienced. IMHO, until you have actually been through the surgery, the stress and anxiety leading up to it seems pointless, but we are human :) Early Happy 1 yr Anniversary on 03/04/12!

1. Rocky
2. I am now 60, my surgery was 13 months ago
3. St Jude Mechanical valve

I chose the Mechanical valve as I did not want to face surgery again in my mid 70's.

1. drivetopless/Tracy
2. 47 at surgery
3. Mech Aortic Valve (On-X) in 2011.

I chose Mechanical for several reasons, but one factor that I haven't seen mentioned--family history-- My Grandfather and Uncle both have AVR--St. Jude mechical. My Grandfather had his 26 years with no futher issues before he passed at age 85. My Uncle is still going strong with no further issues for 12 years. So I figure my biology tolerates the mechanical valve and coumadin well.

Hi Debby...if I ma ask...where in NOVA are you...I am in Reston/Herndon...have met 3 or 4 others close by...

Latest posts

Back