Tissue vs. Mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil
44 human tissue.
54 (have been told to expect AVR sometime this year).
Planning to choose a mechanical valve because don't want future surgeries after this one, the lead up to surgery is really debilitating and this will be my third OHS - I worry about a build up of scar tissue. Don't want to go on warfarin either, but feel at this stage in my life it's the better option. Closer to the surgery I may change my mind, but suspect I'm pretty much decided.

Best wishes, Phil! I am sure you will make the right decision for "you" and achieve another successful procedure! Best of luck in '12 and keep us posted on your status!

Blessings,

Scott

Hey my friend, JeffF...thanks for contributing and thanks for the accolades....let's get together soon...i am back to driving myself....see you soon...again, congrats on getting into Floris Preschool - your daughter is going to truly enjoy it and so will you and your wife!

Fascinating thread. I'm in the waiting room at age 46, and have been told I'll need AVR before I'm 50. I would love to have a tissue valve because I think the noise of a mechanical would drive me straight into Edgar Allen Poe-type madness (I can't even listen to ticking clocks when I'm trying to sleep!) and I don't want to be on coumadin. But the thought of multiple heart surgeries is daunting, too. It's interesting and helpful to know what others in my age range have chosen. Thanks!

Great idea SB42. I thought of doing something similar once with a poll for tracking purposes, but think I gave up because I didn't think the poll function was equipped to handle the necessary variables.

1. ElectLive
2. 35 at surgery
3. AVR - bovine pericardial tissue

Interesting to see how low the average age of members is too. Hardly surprising I suppose that younger people would turn to an Internet forum for support and social networking.

AFAIK, the average age for a valve replacement patient is much higher. I think I have read that 70 is about the average age for valve replacement in developed countries, maybe someone has the actual figure.

Thanks for the accolades everyone and playing along. What's nice is that we can all carve out our own stats how on we personally want to look at things, like age avg, type of valve, number of surgeries etc., etc. I think this will be very helpful to newbies of all ages too. If you haven't participated, please consider doing so, and again, add as much information as you please...no restrictions....

I hear the same, that the avg age tends to be 60, 70 or greater, but it appears there are many younger than 50 that need this surgery...and even to the extent in youth, teens and twenty-somethings (usually related to congential bicuspid aortic valve, which is supposedly only 2% of the entire population). Keep on posting.

JeffM
Tissue

SB, looks like we're neighbors, relatively speaking. Who performed your surgery and when? I'm 3.5 years out.

Jeff,

I am in Reston/Herndon? You? I met JeffF on this board who lives 1.5 miles from me and meeting up with TheGymGuy, also on this site, (Rockville, MD) in Reston next week...I love it, let's get connected. Small world! Look forward to your response.

Scott

Latest posts

Back