How long does the Tissue Mitral Value usually last. female 26yr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhanley

I am new to this forum. I had my surgery 3 years ago. I never had any health problems before, then one day was got very sick and it end up having Endocarditis and I had to get my mitral value replace. I chose the tissue value mainly because I want to have children and I live an active life. I was told the valve should last about 8 to 12 years. It this correct. I am hoping more like 12 to 15 years. Any info would be great.

You're very young. Young, chemically active people tend to calcify their tissue valves more rapidly. Tissue valves in the mitral position also tends to last less long than those in the aortic position. And pregnancy tends to be hard on tissue valves.

At your age, it really is something of a crapshoot how long it will last. It could go longer than expected.

However, the likelihood is that your first guess will be closer to the outcome.

Best wishes,

It varies from person to person. In younger people they tend to not last quite as long as in those 50 or more. Some types seem to last longer than others. Since you can't predict, I would prefer thinking it would probably be more like the 12 to 15 years and leave it up to the future to prove you right or wrong. You might even get more than 15!

I am new to this forum. I had my surgery 3 years ago. I never had any health problems before, then one day was got very sick and it end up having Endocarditis and I had to get my mitral value replace. I chose the tissue value mainly because I want to have children and I live an active life. I was told the valve should last about 8 to 12 years. It this correct. I am hoping more like 12 to 15 years. Any info would be great.

I was 53 when I received a bovine valve, and the surgeon told me at the time that he expected it to last 12 years.

I was 45 when I received my porcine valve. My surgeon told me to expect 10-12 years, but I could get lucky and get 15 or I may get unlucky and be back in 5...In other words, they don't really know!!!!

Two of our 'Valve Moms' reported getting 10 years (and a baby or two) from their Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves in the AORTIC position. These valves often last 20 years when implanted in patients over age 60. I have no idea how long they would last in the Mitral Position.

Typically, Porcine Tissue Valves deteriorate more rapidly than the Bovine Tissue Valves.

Bottom Line: Ask your Surgeon if he has any more relevant histories he could share with you.

'AL Capshaw'

I'm coming on 11 years in February with a tissue Aortic valve.
Was 29 , now 40.
It is on it's last legs though.
They initially told me 20+ years, then 15+ a few years ago.
Last year I was told 7-10 years.

Wish I had found this site years ago.

BTW, you need to know there are SEVERAL different types of Tissue Valves in 3 main categories depending on the Source of the Tissue, i.e. Bovine (Cow), Porcine (Pig), Human (Cadaver) with various refinements / offerings in each category from several different manufacturers.

'AL Capshaw'

thanks everyone! I have an Edwards Pericardial Plus w/thermafix.
I believe it is fairly new and no data on the life clycle. I am hoping it will last 15 years. So far no problems and feel fine. I stay heathy and in good shape.

Latest posts

Back