Valve Prices

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andyrdj

This makes interesting reading -some typical prices from Edwards for their valves

Edwards Prima Plus Stentless Bioprosthesis Aortic Valve -
21MM, 23MM, 25MM, 27MM $4,789 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-Edwards Porcine Bioprosthesis Aortic Valve -
19MM, 21MM, 23MM, 25MM, 27MM, 29MM, 31MM $4,299 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Pericardial Aortic
Bioprosthesis Aortic Valve - 19MM, 21MM, 23MM, 25MM,
27MM, 29MM $4,745 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Aortic Valves with Reduced Sewing Ring (RSR) - 19MM,
21MM, 23MM, 25MM, 27MM, 29MM $5,135 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-Edwards Bioprosthetic Valved Conduit Pulmonic
Valved Conduit - 12MM, 14MM, 16MM, 18MM, 20MM,
22MM, 25MM, 30MM $6,299 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Cosgrove-Edwards Annuloplasty System Mitral/Tricuspid
Band with Template - 26MM, 28MM, 30MM, 32MM, 34MM,
36MM, 38MM $1,770 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
4800 Janke-Barron Heart Support $79 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-Edwards Porcine Bioprosthesis Mitral Valve -
25MM, 27MM, 29MM, 31MM, 33MM, 35MM $4,299 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
6625LP
Carpentier-Edwards Low Pressure Porcine Bioprosthesis
Mitral Valve - 27MM, 29MM, 31MM, 33MM, 35MM $4,299 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
6900P
Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Plus Pericardial Mitral
Bioprosthesis Mitral Valve - 25MM, 27MM, 29MM, 31MM,
33MM $5,199 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
6900PTFX
Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Plus Pericardial Mitral
Bioprosthesis Mitral Valve with ThermaFix - 25MM, 27MM,
29MM, 31MM, 33MM $5,699 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carentier-Edwards Perimount Magna Pericardial Aortic
Bioprosthesis - 19MM, 21MM, 23MM, 25MM, 27MM, 29MM $5,999 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
3000TFX
Carentier-Edwards Perimount Magna Pericardial Aortic
Bioprosthesis with ThermaFix - 19MM, 21MM, 23MM, 25MM,
27MM, 29MM $6,499 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-Edwards Classic Annuloplasty Tricuspid Rings -
26MM, 28MM, 30MM, 32MM, 34MM, 36MM $1,999 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-Edwards Classic Annuloplasty Ring Mitral Rings -
26MM, 28MM, 30MM, 32MM, 34MM, 36MM, 38MM, 40MM $1,899 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Edwards MC3 Tricuspid Annuloplasty System - 26MM,
28MM, 30MM, 32MM, 34MM, 36MM $2,499 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O
Carpentier-McCarthy-Adams Mitral IMR Etlogix Mitral
Annuloplasty Ring with Holder -24MM, 26MM, 28MM,
30MM, 32MM, 34MM $2,799 Heart Valve 3- 4 days A/R/O

I do in fact have a full PDF of comparable prices from lots of manufacturers who supply this example - I think it's for the whole of the State of New York.

Full pdf is 5.9 MB, wondered if there's an attachment size limit on this board?

Prices seem around the same anyway - about $4500

Interesting with the one I'd like - Magna Aortic with ThermaFix $6,499 , compared to the old Perimount at $4,745

As an NHS patient I wonder if it's possible to persuade them to go for the Magna on the grounds that the extra years between ops it might offer saves money in the long run.

Or I'd even offer to buy it myself, or pay the difference. Thing is, do they need to have several ready of different sizes?

You'd have to upload the .pdf to an outside web host and link back to it. Once upon a time, .pdf's were welcome, but at there size, bandwidth goes out thee window.

Andyrdj said:
Or I'd even offer to buy it myself, or pay the difference. Thing is, do they need to have several ready of different sizes?

My surgeon told me that there are some valves which can be modified, there on the spot, to fit the individual while in surgery. He said it was something he could do in about 15 minutes (I guess you're on the heart-lung at this point, so it sure didn't sound like the way I wanted to go). There is a special little metal ruler which they use during surgery to assure a proper fit of the prosthesis to the human organ. I'm not sure yet which or what was actually done to me with my CE bovine.....I'll find out next monday when I have my post op with the surgeon. I told him not to take the time to modify one....just give me one that fit! That was his recommendation unless I was just adamant about a particular valve.

Marguerite

The magna had just come out when Dick got his and Dick kept checking right up to the day of surgery to make sure they had it and were going to use it. !:eek:

Not sure that you could pay part of your costs and not the full amount. My surgery, including the angiogram a few weeks earlier, was more than £27,000 which included a couple of ATS valves. They were not expensive as I recall, I have posted somewhere what they actually cost - nothing like as expensive as was charged to someone here who had ATS.

I see you are from Sheffield, presumably you will be using the Northern General. Last year I spent a week in the Royal Hallamshire's CCU, lovely people and excellent food.

I have AVR surgery coming up in July. I've been wondering what the valves might cost. This is good information.

Anyone have information on what some of the popular mechanical valves cost?

Thanks.

Lee

reply to Sue

reply to Sue

Yes, I will be in the Northern General when the time comes (still don't know how many years) unless I have to go private to get the valve I want.

14 years ago (last op) their food was utterly dire! So my beloved girlfriend will supply me with edible things.

I don't know what precedent there is for meeting your own costs within the NHS. Some cancer patients have contravertially been paying for their own Herceptin treatment.

When I was in the Royal Hallamshire CCU last summer, both myself and another patient had BUPA but were told we couldn't 'go private'. I have to say that everything about the unit gets 200% in my book, especially if you like a good cup of tea, they drown you in the stuff and it is not served in plastic cups. If you get a cardiac episode, just hope to get admitted there instead of the Northern General, yes, I have heard about the food there! My son-in-law trained at the Northern General. :) A pity they don't do cardiac surgery in the Hallamshire. :)

Ah, misunderstanding. I had all my surgery private in Surrey. What I meant is that the Royal Hallamshire wouldn't let us be treated there as private patients, I was admitted to the Hallamshire as an emergency with complete heart block a fortnight after my valve replacements. If you want private treatment in Sheffield you will have to find out where they do it from your consultant. I was an NHS patient in St George's in Tooting but had my surgery in St Anthony's Hospital in Cheam, same surgeon and cardiologist as I had in St George's but better food. :)

If you haven't got private health insurance it could prove very costly to go private. Not only do you have the quoted cost but if you should have complications such as Ausgirl, you could end up with a massive bill that you hadn't planned.

Interesting...I just got an itemized bill from the hospital and they are charging me (my insurance) $13,800 for the Magna valve I had implanted. The hospital must be adding 'handling' fees to the CE price!

Of interest to NHS patients.....

Of interest to NHS patients.....

I'm currently under the care of the cardiology department, having been referred last year by the Consultant CardioThoracic surgeon who originally performed my operation.

I have written to him in a spirit of enquiry to ask if he or any surgeon he knows would be willing to implant the Magna valve, or failing that the Medtronic Mosaic. He's mentioned previously that the valves he used were the St Jude and the Carpentier - Edwards (no model name given but I assumed the C/E was the old perimount.)

I've done my best to appear informed, pointing out that the Magna is not what you'd call "experimental technology", more a natural progression from its predecessor. The ThermaFix process, for example involves an extra treatment stage added to the old Xenologic process used to good effect in the perimount.

I'll let you all know how I get on! It's important to know that we can get what we need and not be saddled with 20 year old technology on grounds of being over cautious.

I read an article in the Daily Mail a year or so ago, which stated that valve replacement cost about £12,000 - £15,000. It was about a guy who'd had minimally invasive surgery, can't remember which price was for that and which for the standard sternotomy, or if it said the prices quoted were for private or NHS treatment, but I was amazed at how much cheaper it is here than in the USA.

Gemma, add those two figures together for the cost of my private surgery, but that was the two valves, not one - it did include the cost of the room etc. Those figures you mention might just cover the cost of the actual surgery, but not take into consideration the 'hotel' part of the charges.

Hi Sue,

Yes, I think you're probably right. There's probably a NHS price list somewhere on the net - maybe I'll try to track it down one day!!

The cost of a valve is a very interesting question. I did not even think about it until two days ago when a P.A. friend of mine asked me the cost of mine. I told him I did not know. I called the valve company yesterday and they told me the list price. All I heard was $6K and something. I was kind of in shock to learn it was that expensive. No telling what the hospital charged my insurance company. It is nice to know that I am now worth more than some used cars :D :D :D Speaking of cars, what is the depreciation rate on these valves? :D

Karl

KAJ said:
It is nice to know that I am now worth more than some used cars :D :D :D Speaking of cars, what is the depreciation rate on these valves? :D Karl

Uh, guess the trade in value went to $0.00 (100 per cent depreciation:eek: :eek: :eek: ) once you "drove it off the lot"!!!!!!:p :D However, for you, it is "priceless".:p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

May God Bless,

Danny

Latest posts

Back