Staying the Course -- 04/23/18

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
It's Monday night and we're starting a new week! Looking forward to hearing from one and all. Hope all's going well.

So I went ahead and joined the Core Fitness Club (as I think I mentioned last week) and when I showed up Friday for an orientation by instructor Sarah so did a whole busload of pro baseball players from the Texas Rangers' Class A farm team. Our local Carolina League team (the Pelicans, affiliated with the Cubs) play in a stadium just a block away. And it turns out that visiting teams have workout privileges at our club. And it turned out that I was trying out the machines, at Sarah's direction, side by side with these pro baseball players. It was quite an ego trip for this old codger baseball fan, who played some baseball himself back in the glory days. These guys were of impressive stature and fitness level -- several were 6-foot-6, one was 6-7 and 250 pounds (I found out later when we got a scorecard at their Sunday game versus the Pelicans). So I guess we'll have teams rolling in all through the summer; maybe I should ask for autographs given that some are likely to become Major League stars.

So that added a little more interest to workouts, though I anticipate more eagerly a busload of Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders for workouts this fall. I'll know the routines so well by then I'll be glad to be their kindly grandfatherly instructor. (Ha -- dreamer!)

Aside from that, we've got a big rain and wind storm moving slowly through. Expected to dump 3 to 5 inches of rain and generate wind gusts of 40 mph-plus. Good days to go to indoor exercise class, which I will do tomorrow.

Haven't weighed this week -- will shoot for doing that by mid-week and reporting back in. Meanwhile, looking forward to your STC news.

Cheers,

Superbob

That sounds pretty cool, working out along side pro's. Really shows you the difference between us average Supermen and pro-athlete's. Even in the minor leagues, these guys are so much better than the rest of the population, and it isn't even close. I suppose when being healthy and fit is your job and you can work at it full time, that helps (Prince Fielder aside). I find it very motivating to work along side people that I know put in far more effort than I ever would on my own. Makes me really challenge myself.

I added a sentence to last weeks staying the course, but probably more appropriate for this one. I was finally able to get a stretch of workouts in that chased away five our so lbs of my spring break and post spring break weight. Weather is taking a turn for the better, so the outdoor activity level is picking up too. We were able to take a 4.2 mile hike in the woods on Sunday and it's still too early in the season for mosquito's - so it was really pleasant.

I got to see some old co-workers at a happy hour. They were all quite shocked at my weight loss. It was one of those moments of, man - how heavy was I?

My weekend highlight, though, was going out to dinner with my beautiful bride. It's been a while with five kids and busy-ness that just the two of us could get out and have a nice dinner. We played up being on a date and pretended to get to know each other again.

I'm getting to the point of seriously considering a triathlon for a personal challenge. Just for fun - not to set any records. Unless it's for Clydesdale sized men in their mid 40's who have had two heart surgeries. A sprint tri would be a 600 meter swim, 20 k bike, and 5 k run. Or an olympic would be a 1,500 meter swim, 40 k bike, and 10 k run. I'd like something in between. Give me the short run and swim, and a long ride. I swam 850 meters on Saturday, but that was with pauses between laps.

My only complaint this week is a nagging cough that I can't seem to shake. Oh well. This, too, shall pass.

Awweee......you guys are very inspiring. Your goals help keep others going. I never got to rehab after either of my heart surgeries so have been hoping for something like that to get me started after I am healed from my surgery.

It is so good to feel good finally and looking to days ahead. My blood numbers were good last Friday (first time in over 5 months) but my INR is being stubborn about getting off the 1.9 number. Oh well now it all seems a little small as I adjust to the new hole in my liver and meds to work with it.

My daily exercise consist of cleaning house, scrubbing floors, quite a few short walks, bending and stretching, and trying to stay off the chair as much as possible. Some of the "exercise" not my favorite. I find housecleaning rather boring but try to tell my self "job well done" lol

Have a great week and keep up the course!

jwinter;n883001 said:
My daily exercise consist of cleaning house, scrubbing floors, quite a few short walks, bending and stretching, and trying to stay off the chair as much as possible. Some of the "exercise" not my favorite. I find housecleaning rather boring but try to tell my self "job well done" lol

Have a great week and keep up the course!

If you ever feel like you’re not getting enough exercise, let me know. Did I mention five kids?

though I anticipate more eagerly a busload of Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders for workouts this fall.
SB, does your DW look over your shoulder when you post? LOL! Seriously, getting to exercise alongside professional athletes sounds like fun! You can have the cheerleaders....I'll take those nice, physically fit, ball players <evil grin>.

Superman, good going on that weight loss. Sadly, I am further away from my 6.4 lbs. challenge. Up a couple. Went to a different Aldi's on Sunday. I looked and looked but they had no apple pie. Probably to my benefit.

Tonight our line dance class will be meeting with a group of Downs Syndrome adults to teach them some line dances. I'm looking forward to this event. My ladies civic group works with a group called "Special Friends", which is as the name says, some special adults with developmental needs. Also, I have a special needs grandson, so working with these groups is close to my heart.

Back to work. Gotta make money to buy those apple pies!

Housekeeping can be great exercise, jwinter. Just doesn't get the plaudits it deserves.

Superman, I think you would find a triathlon both challenging and fun. I did a low-key community one waaaaaaay back when I lived in Richmond. Best I recall, it was something like a 10K run, a 1-mile swim, and about a 40-mile bike journey through some beautiful countryside (I actually found that the most enjoyable. I think my thick legs are more suited for biking than running; should have kept up the biking.) The run was okay, but the swim was not enjoyable because i'd never done competitive swimming, only swimming for relaxation, and I felt like I might drown trying to swim fast. Anyway, I did complete the whole thing. Of course you some really good well-rounded workouts in preparation.

Honeybunny, DW knows I admire (from a distance of course) physically fit and attractive women.She knows I babble about Sarah and her great fitness class all time, yet rather than getting jealous, she insists I go to class even when I try to make an excuse and not go. Maybe she has a boyfriend to see, who knows? jk Anyway, we understand and put up with each other. Your "Special Friends" work with folks who have developmental disabilities sounds wonderful! And keep up that line dancing. (Just saw a notice at our rec center that they are about to offer line dancing. Think for now I will stick with what I am doing, however.)

Housework is great exercise, and so is gardening ! DH is doing our gardening right now as my shoulders are still not right. I used to do all the gardening - I will get back to it when shoulders fully recovered. I'm very disappointed that Im not back to weight lifting - I've been doing that for eleven years and now not lifting more than a cup of tea since January. I will get there though, I am determined.

Superbob;n883007 said:
.....DW knows I admire (from a distance of course) physically fit and attractive women.She knows I babble about Sarah and her great fitness class all time, yet rather than getting jealous, she insists I go to class even when I try to make an excuse and not go. Maybe she has a boyfriend to see, who knows?

As the old saying goes, “It doesn’t matter where you get your appetite, as long as you come home for dinner.”

Superman;n883025 said:
As the old saying goes, “It doesn’t matter where you get your appetite, as long as you come home for dinner.”

Another old saying seniors like, "There may be snow on the rooftop, but there's still fire in the furnace." (Ah, yes, but save those embers for after you've come home to dinner. : )

I'll keep my "sayings" to myself. . . they aren't fit for family viewing.

I do look in from time to time, but I've been too busy being retired of late. I don't know where the time goes. Of course, I'm still in the early stages of things, and I'm amazed at the number of administrative things I've had to do. With retirement came a change in medical insurance plans. No problems with docs and such, but many changes in how I need to get prescriptions filled. Strange - most of my meds are generics, and those (4 of them) cost me about $14 USD per month in co-payments. Two of them, however, would cost over $200 EACH in monthly co-pays if I went to the corner pharmacy. If I use their mail-order pharmacy, though, each of the two costs $125 for 3 months. That is much more palatable. Not cheap, but not up in car payment territory, either.

I am actually eating more properly (fewer lunches out at the sandwich shoppe) and getting to spend a bit more time at the fitness center. I have gently added to my routine. Now, in addition to my elliptical machine time, I also do a handful of weight machines and an extra mile walking on the treadmill. Then, time and weather permitting (like today!), I also walk outdoors. Today, I logged an extra 3 miles of walking while DW was at her Zumba class. If I can keep this up, I know it will make a difference.

Other than that, I'm getting used to the fact that next week it is "back to work" for me. That will be my "one week of the month" for the month of May (publishing financial statements for April). After that week, I'll be retired for the next 3 weeks until it is again time to visit the office.

Just got the call -- "Dinner!" So, I'll try to watch more closely and keep better track of what day it is, to stay in the game out here.

Carry on!

SB, you still got it. But maybe your DW does too!

Hit 200 miles for the year for walking and running. I should be at 320 so I need to pick it up. Trying to get back to 15+ miles per week but not doing much during the week. Work has been too much with no walks at lunch or in the afternoon. And I'm too exhausted in the evenings. I just need to get out there.

Lots of doctor visits lately getting the maintenance stuff out of the way. Tomorrow is the heart echo. Both my physician and cardiologist said the valve sounded good so I don't expect any surprises.

Saturday is a 5K race that a good friend of mine is director for. It's the Race Through The Vineyards in Temecula CA. A tough run up and down the rows of grapes in one of the local vineyards. This is one of the fund raisers for the local Rotary Club. A worthy cause. After the race is breakfast and some wine tasting.

Weather has been good, nothing too hot yet. It still gets cold at night but warm during the daytime. This is actually the perfect time of year here in So Cal.

It's almost the weekend, hope everyone can get out and enjoy it wherever you are.

Sounds good, and like great fun, Martin! Can I come along? We did some touring and wine tasting in Temecula some years back, and we are still enjoying some of the wines we sent home.

Now that winter has retired and spring has arrived I have started working outside. Had to cut up a tree that fell across our driveway and pick up winter blown tree limbs. Also, We are rebuilding our raised garden beds, replacing cinder blocks for walls with wood frames. Moving about 100 cinder blocks and operating a chain saw are good execerise, but it is not kind to my back. So, now I’m moving around bent and listing to one side looking like a old man.

Wait! I am an old man.

The good news, I’m down two pounds. The bad news, I think I’m now at the weight I was at when I started the 6.4 lb challenge.

Tomorrow, I have to unload 1100 lbs of clay my wife ordered.

Hope all a good week.

Hey, Fred - Why are you discarding the cinder blocks in favor of wood? A couple of years ago we did the opposite, removing the deteriorating wood (even though it was pressure-treated) and installing concrete decorative blocks. The blocks will last much longer.

Of course, I installed that wood myself, about 15-18 years before and had a landscaping crew remove it and install the blocks. I'm too old for that heavy work. . .

Back