Staying the Course -- 04/16/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
All right, already. So drawing on his superpowers, Superbob has made Tuesday the new Monday. Amazing feat, huh? Mondays are just so action-packed evidently, I forget about posting a STC starter. Either that, or I am just getting old.

Okay so a lot did go on yesterday. First I took a core fitness class at my teacher's fitness club 'cause I knew I would miss today's at the rec center because I am taking my wife to an outing at a farm the county museum runs demonstrating farming from 100 years ago. Got all that? Anyway I will get a lot of exercise cause I will need to either push her in wheelchair (if that's possible on the terrain) or help her with her walker or both of us just get around the farm best we can with canes or walking sticks. (Don't suppose they will let us ride horses.) Should be fun though.

I went ahead and joined the core fitness club also -- bargain rate of $29 a month for oldsters, Means I should never have to settle for only one core-fit class a week. Can be assured of at least two and could take it 3 or 4 times. Plus my teacher has volunteered to give me lessons on how to use the exercise equipment appropriate for my ancient body. Will get that instruction this Friday. So a busy week.

Oh yes and my 4-year-old grandson played his first baseball game yesterday (teeball). He hit the ball solidly and ran the bases with joy. Teeball is a hoot and it was a fun occasion for all. My son coaches the team. He has a business meeting this morning in Maryland, but he so didn't want to muss his son's first game that he cancelled his flight and made the 8 1/2 hour drive up there overnight. I was not thrilled with that, but thank God he has reported in that he made it. He will fly back after the meeting.

Well, that is it for starters on this Monday, er Tuesday, er new Monday According to Superbob morning. Cheers to all, and hope to hear how your courses are going.

Cheers,

Superbob

And here it is Wednesday! Busy day yesterday at work so didn't check in.

SB, when my mom was in her 80s she'd say "I'm getting old". I'd reply, "You ARE old!" So now, in my 60s, I refer to myself as old. And my children don't correct me! LOL!

Even if I had the opportunity to join a fitness club here at that price I probably wouldn't do it. Too lazy, I guess. I've been back to dance class for two weeks and want to make that work because it's good for my heart - and soul because the group makes me laugh.

I met a woman through the web site Nextdoor. She needed help with a Word template and I volunteered beause I work with Word and templates daily. We really hit it off and she invited me to join her Meet Up group: professionals who get together once/month for fine dining. I went on Saturday and had a nice time. A bit pricey but nice company. They also have a guest speaker each month, usually someone from a non-profit who shares how the group members can get involved. Saturday we had a conductor and a dramatic tenor from Opera in the Heights (the Heights is a section of Houston). The conductor explained the organization's purpose and goals and the performer sang an aria. It was a different experience for me. I plan to attend additional functions. I need to do more than go to work, read my IPad, and sleep.

I'm sad to report that all those Aldi apple pies caught up with me. I gained three lbs. Shame on me. Now I'm back to Staying the Course and dropped one of those lbs. My blood sugar was running high and I'm getting that under control again.

Have a wonderful rest of the week, SB, I'm looking forward to your report on the farm outing.

We've been non-stop busy since we got back from vacation. I only got to the Y one day since. I do plan to go tonight, so hopefully I can get back on track. Still staying in an acceptable BMI - so that's good, but up about 5 since before vacation. Blah. Oh well.

Speaking of T-Ball - my sons team starts up next week. We had to put it off a week because we still have snow on the ground up here. Long winter. I coach that. Superbob, you are correct - it is loads of fun. At that age, everyone bats and the last kid every inning hits a homerun. What we don't officially keep track of, but I let my kids know, is how many outs we really got. In T-Ball, if you put more kids out than the other team, I consider that a win. Sometimes in a three inning game, there might be only one successful force out. But the kid stays on base anyway.

That's all I have for now.

Nothing much to report here except that our long wet, windy and cold past few months have completley changed and today it was 24C (75F) - sunny and everyone out in summer clothes ! What a complete change !

We still have our nasty winter here. It is still in the 30s (F), with full cloud cover and misty rain all day. Yuk! I’ve been busy shifting to retirement, and find that there is a long list of admin tasks I must do in transitioning to retirement. Once the dust settles, I will be back more often.

Time to get back on course and check in. Rough winter here, both weather and health wise, but think I have found the road to recovery.

Good to see everyone here and know you are mindful of the course we need to stay on. Love this thread as it is it is about life. The day to day that we heart valve replacement people go through.

Now to make this as short as I can. My heart and health has not been great but was good to get to the sunshine for awhile anyway. I doctored down there with blood testing weekly, two or three transfusions, an unexpected helicopter ride (and not over the Grand Canyon), and a swift trip home to be admitted in Billings hospital less than a week after.

I will tell you that my On-X is my friend. It held up well to multiple testings, being taken off warfarin and quickly shot with vitamin K to drive my INR low enough for some pretty quick medical decisions.

As some will know I have been carrying a diagnosis of PBC (google is our friend if you never heard of it) but it was diagnosed after my first heart surgery and laid there pretty silent until awhile ago. Lots of transfusions, tests, and procedures. I am on the road to recovery and am sure better days are ahead.

I have dropped my excess weight for now but know it will be back so I hope to get back on board and stay the course with you all. Important for me and for all others posting here.

Have a good week. Hmm........guess that is weekend :)

Haven't checked in for weeks, just busy. Not much walking lately but that's a good thing because my plantar fasciitis in my right foot is getting better. I added double heal lifts to my shoe and that helped a lot.

HB, my wife and I just took a weekend in Julian CA. Their fame is Apple Pies. It's an old small mining town. We camped in the tent trailer and went into town during the day. Took an old gold mine tour and even took the dog in. Lot of walking and the scale says I'm down a couple pounds. Yes, we did get some apple pie but only 1 slice each.

Good report from my doctor after yearly physical. LDL=91, Glucose good, A1C good, PSA good, and all others within the limits. Noticed Sodium at the high end so need to watch that. And visit to the Cardiologist went good, said the valve sounded good and he's ordering my yearly echo. I'm ready for spring.

Weather here is warm with some cold days and evenings. Not like the Midwest.

It's almost the weekend, hope everyone had a great week.

There. I spun my 5 lbs off this weekend. Spun, hiked, and swam I should say. Just in time too. I have both a needed rest and a schedule forced break over the next couple days.

Back