Staying the Course -- 04/09/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
So this week's Staying the Course starts a day late -- hmmm, somebody must be off course, wonder who? : ) Okay better late than never.

Scary to read of your bout with Internet skullduggery, Paleowoman. Hope that is all cleared up for you now. It reminds us of something we all have to be on guard against in the world we live in now.

Lot of rain and cold here right now. No doubt many of you can report same, except some of you have...snow! My son and his girlfriend had tickets to a celebrity-studded Monday After the Masters golf/partying event here yesterday and the outdoorsy part wound up being cut short because of steady cold rain, but some music and partying continued under tents and indoors. Country star Darius Rucker and many golf and other sports celebs attended.

I have to take DW to dentist today because of some pain she's experiencing with a temporary dental appliance. Her dentist had to delay putting in permanent because she (the dentist) suffered a broken wrist during some sort of sports event, not sure. Anyway hopefully all that will get squared away. Means I will have to miss today's exercise class BUT my instructor Sarah has invited me to come to a makeup class tomorrow at CrossFit (which she swears is similar to the senior core fitness) -- and when I go back to regular Thursday class that means this old man will be doing back-to-back days. Sarah says I am capable of meeting this challenge, and she plans to brag on me. So my ego gratefully accepts, but I will have to pace myself.

Well, that's about it for now, for starters (or just a starter, singular)... Looking forward to hearing how your courses look this week. Sorry for my tardiness.

Cheers,

Superbob

OMG!!! No responses yet??? I know I'm tardy also, SB. but it's Wednesday already. Does no one want to play with us? LOLOL!!

I started yesterday recording my glucose levels again. And keeping track of my food consumption with My Fit Foods (yes, they alerted me about the security breach of their data). Glucose has been a bit high and not sure why. Might be that Aldi's apple pie! Funny story about that. I didn't see it on the shelf when I first strolled past the baked goods. Wandered the rest of the store. Walked back to baked good to take another GOOD look while telling myself "Keep looking; it's just going to appear in front of you" not believing that it would when dang nab it if I didn't spot two pies at the bottom of a carton! So excited! The crust on this pie is what has me hooked with that brand. I'm also scarfing down blueberries and strawberries, so not completely unhealthy.

Weight hovering at 151 this week. Now that I'm re-committed to dance class perhaps I'll see that 1/2 lb./week weight loss I had before. Tell you what though...I am whipped by the time the 90-minute class is over.

You are definitely exercise teacher's pet, SB. Bask in the glow of the attention! And I hope your DW's dental issues are quickly resolved. Seems a shame that work must be delayed because of the dentist's injury.

I'm going back to read Anne's post from last week because I do not know the skullduggery of which you speak, SB. I read an online article yesterday about a local college grad being taken for $14,000 from FBI scammers claiming there was a warrant out for her arrest because she'd incorrectly completed her financial aid paperwork. She was told not to tell her parents because they would get in trouble. She claims she bought $14,000 in Apple gift cards and gave them to a woman in a parking lot. I have my doubts about the story. Can't believe a 23-year-old would be that ignorant about scams in this day and age.

We had a couple of days of cold fronts here but today it will go from sweater weather of 50 deg. to 80 by the time I leave work. But at least it's not raining (though more of that this weekend)

SB, you and I will keep this course rocking and rolling!

Yep, let's keep rockin' and 'rollin' this course, HB, and invite others to join us!

I love your story about waiting for that Aldi apple pie to just appear! Hope the ice cream was nearby too! As for blood sugars, I am way too complacent about them. My A1C has been a steady 6.5 for the past year, so I haven't been bothering to take daily readings. I should be though, andI am going to use you as a good example and start doing that again.

Poor DW has a not-fun course of dental work ahead. An extraction, a crown, and redoing an appliance to adjust to the new dental landscape. Until they get all that going, hopefully within the week, she has some pain medicine. She is a tough lady -- tougher than me for sure.

Yes, the fitness teacher and I enjoy laughs, and she's said she would be "brokenhearted" if I ever left her class. Today I went to a core fitness club where she also teaches and took course of hers similar to the one that I take at the Rec Center. (45-second planks today) It is an amazing facility and I am thinking about joining it at the reasonable senior rate of $29 a month. She teaches there Monday and Wednesday so I could add one or both of those classes to the Tuesday and Thursday currently, and could be sure of getting in at least 2 classes a week as a regular thing, and sometimes 3, and occasionally maybe even 4. She's looking into whether I could get an even better price break. Plus all sorts of other classes go with the membership-- yoga, pilates, you name it -- and exercise equipment galore. So yeah maybe I am "teacher's pet," but she is totally devoted to her beautiful family, and our friendship is exercise-class only. Hey, I am working on 77 years and have to work at just walking down the block, so perspective is maintained.

But hey I love that old-time rock 'n' roll, so let's keep rocking the courses that we're staying!

Just come online - I will do a separate reply to honeybunny in the previous 'staying the course' thread but just wanted to say that I received a security alert from myfitnesspal too but it was not related to the Amazon security hack I had as they were both under different email servers (I have several) so no possibility of a connection - though I thought of that first out !

Aldi - we get our wine from them. Not liked anything else from them, but their red wine is really good. One of the wines we bought from Aldi came from a village just 3 kilometers from our house in France ! And was amazing value from Aldi ! I recommend their wines - even their Chilean wine is extremely good. One or two units a day of red wine is definitley medicinal ;)

Superbob - hope DW feels better soon - dental work is upleasant and very stressful - please give her my best.

Back from vacation. During our trip we did three all you can eat dinners, and I took them up on their challenge. At Disney prices, one has to manufacture the value in it. Plus, if it's your only visit to that restaurant, it stands to reason that every dessert should be sampled. And, between BBQ ribs, pulled pork, sausage, and ham - how does a person eat just one serving of meat?

Fortunately during the rest of the days, I was a tad more sensible, with the exception of a much higher than normal consumption of surgery carbonated beverages. With swimming and walking, I managed to strike a caloric inflow / outflow balance and came back still hovering around 200 (just over instead of just under, but I'll take it).

Driving tested our endurance. About 21 hours straight through on the way down became 22.5 on the way back because of all the rest of the northerners departing at the same time. We didn't want to leave any earlier than we had to. Should have left the night before. But we made it. Had some bottlenecks around the Florida Turnpike and I-75, Atlanta, and Louisville. My wife and I split driving time pretty evenly, so it works out. I rely on heavy metal in my headphones and caffeine on the overnights. I'm not sure how my wife does it, because she avoids both. The kids probably conditioned her to being up on night.

Need to get back to my real workouts now that we're back in town, but life is always very busy. I'll get there though.

Always good to read up on everyone else's courses.

BBQ ribs, pulled pork, sausage and ham -- now add every variety of seafood, fried, that you can think of, and you have the challenge of buffet eating around here. My son takes us fairly often, but last night I loaded up on salad, and settled for just a few slices of roast beef for protein, Maybe I'm learning Congrats to you, Superman, for adding calorie burns -- swimming, walking -- to balance out your vacationing splurging (which we all deserve on a vacation after all). Good lesson for us all.

Superman and Superbob (two super guys!), have you ever dined as a Brazilian steak house? We have several around here. The gauchos stroll through the restaurant slicing off hunks of meat on request. Cost is about $60/person, all you can eat. I've been only a few times because I don't eat enough to justify the cost, but the venue is impressive.

Oh my, Brazilian steakhouses -- YES! We have a spectacular one here -- RIOZ! And my son on occasion gets guest passes for all of us....I honestly try to load up on their salad bar and be very selective on the cuts of meat, just go for the prime sirloin lately. You can easily overdo, but some kinda great dining!

Hey, everyone! I just looked at my calendar and realized it is Friday! This is my first week of being retired (well, semi-retired - still working one week of each month) and I lost track of the days. I have been super-busy with all the "re-arrange your life" items like changing medical insurance, prescription plans, blood draws, and the like. We also cleaned out the garage yesterday, as it was the one nice day of the week. Today I had to go down to the Social Security office to negotiate my Medicare Part B premium. They looked at my 2016 tax return to assess the premium, but DW and I were both working full-time then. Now we are retired, with a resulting drop in expected income. Fortunately, SSA lets you estimate this year's income and come back in a year to adjust the reduced premium if necessary.

I also changed fitness centers. I have been using a suburban park district club a couple of blocks from my office, but if I go from home it is a 20-mile round trip - maybe 40-60 minutes drive time. Loved the club but the drive won't be worth it. I ended up joining the club my wife uses, around 10 minutes from home. We could bike or walk, if we want. No indoor track, but lots of machines, weights and a free trainer. All this for $10/month, and they are open 24 hours. Pretty convenient, but will miss all my old friends at the other club. This one is a busy mall location, so I'd bet there are less chances to make friends. Oh, well, at least I can get some exercise. The equipment is different, and even from one elliptical machine to another, the motion is different enough to leave me with muscle pain after the first few days. It is good to have more time, though, so I can switch machines, add weights, etc. Maybe some day I will consult the trainer, too.

At the moment, my weight is holding at the lower end of my winter range. I hope that means that I can get back to summer range easily this year. I've sort of noticed that the older I get, the rougher it gets to lose that winter weight.

I hear you on the Brazilian steakhouses. We have a couple around here, but we don't eat enough meat to make the prices worth it. We have been to company affairs there, and the food is great. Just too much of it, and if one partakes of it all, just too much to eat.

I promise to try to watch the calendar more closely and not miss the entire week. Other than that. . .

Just stayin' the course.

Back