Staying the Course -- 03/19/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Celebrated grandson's 4th birthday this morning with a grand breakfast overlooking a storm-churning Atlantic -- blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, link sausage, all kinds of fruit, grits -- about anything you can think of, all cooked to perfection. We opened presents at our house. Grand way to start a big day. Superkid is starting t-ball, coached by his Dad (whom I coached in Little League eons ago and who went on to become a championship-winning collegiate Division I pitcher.) So Superkid will have an excellent Coach. May it all be a lot of fun!

Some thunder-boomers expected late tonight and then some all-out thunderstorms tomorrow, some maybe severe. Sign of spring coming I reckon. Nice day for arrival of the bill for renewal of our flood insurance. That is a biggie to have here in hurricane country.

Didn't weigh this morning. Will do so later this week. I'm feeling pretty fit for an old guy. At the Dollar Tree I bought for $1 (natch, everything's a buck there) a fascinating book by a New Orleans cardiologist, "The Obesity Paradox." Just started perusing it, but it points to evidence that you can be overweight or somewhat obese on the BMI scale, and yet be fit and healthy. Of course do your exercise, but no need to be extreme about it. And eat sensibly. But maybe not obsess about a few extra pounds especially in senior years. Some extra fat may actually be protective; some research re heart-surgery survivors indicates that....okay as I read it, perhaps I will pass along some of the other contentions. Not saying it is the ultimate word, but seems to be worthy of pondering....as I eat a doughnut (no, I'm not ; )

Lots of great posts last week. Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Cheers,

Superbob

Step . . . Away . . . From . . . the . . . Doughnut! Do Not Fall Into its Clutches! This is what turns a good policeman into a large policeman!

Just kidding, SB! The only reason I stay away from doughnuts is because the shortening they are deep fried in gives me digestive issues and I taste them for days after I eat one.

As I've grown older (not "old" yet, though), I have come to hope that these few extra pounds will eventually serve some purpose. I sure see little hope of ever getting back to the weight I sported when in my 50's, so hopefully there is a silver lining to that cloud.

Weather here has been pretty, but not nice. I mean that it has been sunnier than most of the winter, but only a bit warmer and very windy, so it is not nice enough to want to go outside to walk or exercise. I'm hoping that the weather turns the corner around the time I drift into my semi-retirement the second week in April. That is early for nice weather around here, but one can hope.

I've been busy at work, and it shows no signs of letting up. I guess my final weeks here will be more stressful than I had hoped, but at least my dates are set and immovable, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm Stayin' the Course!

Happy Tuesday everyone! Yesterday I was driving back to Houston from Austin where I attended my granddaughter's wedding to her girlfriend of 5 years. This is the first Mrs. and Mrs. wedding I've been to. The young ladies are now frocklicking in Hawaii for a week! It was a gorgeous day in the Hill country of western Texas, and travel to and from the venue was relaxing. Rain was predicted but never came through the Austin area.

I'm up to 151.4, so still struggling to reach my goal of 144 lbs. Amusing that all of us who accepting the "lose 6.4 lbs. challenge" weeks ago are still struggling to hit the mark. I say amusing because we keep on trying, as slow-going as it is.

Had my regular 6-month med checkup on Friday. While at the doc's office, they took my A1C. It was down to 5.7 from 6.1 in September! Only .1 from normal blood sugar level. Normally I have to go to Lab Corp for a blood draw for several panels, but doc said I was OK with my labs, so they could do the A1C in her office. I didn't know they had the capability. I need to email my nutritionist with the result.

So I'm in a good mood this first day back to work. Nice mini vacation weekend, good test results, nice weather....and the opportunity to share all my blessings here on Staying the Course. Thanks, as always, SB. it is so great to have this venue to share my good health reports with people who get it.

Kinda quiet here so far this week. Lot of discussion last week, it fluctuates, that's natural. Honeybunny, it I ever had an A1C below 6, I would not worry at all about a few unwanted pounds. I'd take the excellent A1C anytime...indeed, you seem to be below the diabetes markers (It used to be below 7 was good). So take heart, you are doing well.

I have a wacky new tee to wear to fitness tomorrow --- "Planks a Lot" --- to be pronounced like "Thanks a Lot" -- and I will suggest it as proper sarcastic response when our great teacher puts us through another challenging "plankapalooza" like she did last week, Afterwards: "Planks a Lot, Sarah!." She has a great sense of humor -- I think she will like it. If not, I guess she will just kick my butt.

Oh yeah, we compared birthdays and figured that at 76 I am the oldest person in the class. I am suggesting that qualifies me for certain perks, like sleeping on the exercise ball instead of doing crunches and push-ups off it. We'll see how that flies.

Man it is a hectic time of year, with taxes mixed in, insurance due etc etc. Seems like we have to get all that out of the way to enjoy the second half of the year.

Stay the course!

And yeah Steve, doughnuts are pretty much poison. I babble about them a lot but eat them only very occasionally -- and only one, not a half dozen as I sometimes did years ago. Interesting to read about your winding down in prep for semi-retirement. I will let you find out for yourself that life gets even busier in semi-retirement. Not necessarily a bad thing though....

Busy week(s) lately. Hard to make time to pop in and post. Sitting in a waiting room getting the tires checked and rotated and oil changed in advance of a big Spring Break road trip. Resigned myself to the fact that I won’t be 190 when we travel. So it goes. I guess I should be content in the 190’s.

Weird that this week when I can get back to working out regularly, I start to put on weight. Maybe a little muscle recovery, or delayed onset cake and ice cream weight from our run of parties.

Trying to extend my life insurance and finding out it’s not easy to get folks to underwrite you when you’re defective. Trying for 20 years or at least extend my 8 remaining years to add 10 more. Even my existing carrier is hesitant to look at me. Should introduce them to SB and Steve. Take it as a compliment when I say you’ve got 30 years on me and are showing no indications of slowing down. I hope I’m planking at 76.

Maybe I will if I continue staying the course.

Slow week out here in So Cal. It's raining and we need it. Spring is here! Saw a beautiful red sunrise on Tuesday driving into work. Dodged the rain Tuesday evening to run/walk with the running club. My dog pulled me for over a mile before I handed her over to my wife.
This week I feel like I'm catching up on life so Spring is looking good. Hope to do some hiking in the mountains this summer. Our daughter is moving to Kauai so I will need to go visit in the fall. I'm signed up for a 5K in the Vineyards that a friend puts on for the Rotary Club. Tough race but we have a large group and have lots of fun. Wine tasting after!
Steve, hope they let you semi-retire. I'm sure you will be as busy around the house. I was out of work a couple times recently and kept busy. Those times were my practice retirements. Only a few more years until the real one and I'm ready.
Hope everyone has a great week.

Latest posts

Back