Staying the Course -- 02/26/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Oopsie! Tardy again because of Manic Monday. And a rainy one to boot. What to say -- well, we're still waiting for results of an x-ray of ribs taken because of DW's pain -- and done last Tuesday! I have called several times and not gotten call-backs. Fortunately, she says the pain seems to be easing, which indicates maybe it was just a minor strain, hopefully...but she is ticked, feeling kind of disrespected. Not sure if the imaging center didn't transmit promptly or if the cardio's office let it slide since it is apparently not heart-related. Looks like I will have to make some in-person office visits tomorrow to find out what's what.

Temps have broken records for February highs (close to 80F) the past several days but it is cooing off now. Back down to 40s tonight, 60s tomorrow. I like it that way -- not acclimated to warmer weather yet. And it should be good for the Myrtle Beach Marathon this Saturday.

The weight -- oh, the weight....Seriously I had a scales malfunction, and had to tinker with and change the battery....not sure it's back to form yet but I will weigh in tomorrow. Doubt I've reached the goal yet -- and for that I will blame our Designated Scapegoat -- Honeybunny!

Cheers all.

Superbob

And if there are typos in this, I'm not going to try to correct them and risk all this disappearing into cyberspace.....

Bring on the blame, SB! I'm not doing any better. In fact, I'm having problems with my blood sugar. Fasting results first thing in the morning have been over 100 for the past week or so. Granted, I'm nibbiling snacks at night but last night I had a sugar free ice pop (which my nutritionist suggested I have instead of yogurt when I crave something refreshing) and a palm ful of pretzels. And my glucose was still 111. I've had non sweet snacks before and been under 100. Yet, last night, before dinner, my level was 65. Might need to contact the nutritionist for suggestions if I'm getting the same readings this week. So, no weight loss for me, which is disappointing after last Thursday's line dancing.

Still....stay the course!

I'm still here watching my scale bounce up and down. The only comforting thing is that so far, the bouncing has been within a narrow (1-2 lb.) range. I guess as long as I don't see an upward trend, I can deal with it. The weather, although a bit warmer than usual, hasn't been "nice" enough for any outdoor activity. It has been near 50F, but quite windy, so they say it feels like the temp is still in the 30's. Later this week they are again calling for some accumulating snow, so as usual, winter is not ready to let go so fast.

I'm just trying to keep things moving here. Still working, but will be entering semi-retirement at the end of March. I'll probably work the first week of April, then plan to be off until the first week of May. I'll be ready for a break.

I'm also transitioning all of my electronics. I've replaced my smart phone and my home PC, as both were nearing 6 years old and in need of some work. I also added a tablet/keyboard for travel use (this combo is lighter than a full notebook and does almost everything I need). Getting all of the application software loaded and authorized has taken much of my free time this past week. I find some of this work a bit frustrating - like my bank's smartphone app. I set up the new phone by restoring a backup of the old phone, but the banking app would not even open. Finally, I called the bank's tech support line. Their comment? "Oh. You must have the XYZ phone. We think, on those, the app will not restore properly. You have to uninstall and re-install it." Who'd a thunk? Or my car dealer's appointment scheduling app. When you try to open that one, the phone just shows "This application is not compatible with XYZ operating system. Contact the developer for a newer version." There is no new version. Back to the stone age. . .

Well - at least it is amusing when it all works. I'll be able to connect to all these sites and the family wherever I travel, and that makes it worth it.

Okay I appear to be a pound-ish up from a week ago. Okay, maybe two pounds. That means I am 4 pounds away from my initial target weight. I do try to practice restraint at those bountiful seafood buffets, but, well....yes and I am blaming it all on Honeybunny who has lulled me into complacency about this 6.4-pound challenge. And HB, my blood glucose numbers are virtually always above 100 --- If I keep them at 130 or below on first reading in the morning, I figure I am doing pretty well. Raely have I had any approaching 200. Also, my A1C is 6.5, which used to be great til the medical powers that-be lowered the desired number from 7.0 to 6.0. I cling to a steady 6.5 as good news whenever I see it.

Not be be hurtful, but I'm so glad you all are having issues with weight. Since my failure last week, I fee much better today. I'm down two pounds to 188, but according to Steve, that is considered 'bounce' noise.

peaking of Steve, I also happy I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with the ill behaved technology. New phones, new apps, new PC's? Wow! what were you thinking? I have considered switching from Android to Apple, then gave it up as a painful idea.

I'm back on course this week, but have learned to keep my expectations low. My wife frequently tells me to get up away from that desk and move! So, I'm stand now and taking my dog for a walk.

Later, best to you all.

Thanks for the encouragement about the glucose, SB. My afternoon numbers are OK, as long as I don't have a brownie like I did yesterday.

I'm also bouncing around that 1-2 mark. But I'm working on a plan to get just a bit more exercise. I'll let you know if it works out.

It's Friday night and I'm a bachelor. My wife is in Hawaii with our daughter and the grandkids. Lucky me, I need to work. Staying home with the dog. One of our running club friends stopped by during the day and took her for a 3 mile run so she's content. Tomorrow will be a 5 miler but it's raining in Southern California so I hope we get a break in the morning. Plans are for Dana Point harbor/Doheny State beach.

Finished Feb with 121 miles for the year. My goal of 1000 miles this year and that is 83 miles per month. I'm about 45 miles short so need to pick it up. Currently on track for 20+ this week. I count my weeks from Monday thru Sunday. That goes back to the days when I did long distance on either Saturday or Sunday and counting this way levels the weekly mileage out.

Working on taxes this weekend. Not my favorite. Maybe the peace and quiet will help but I usually get some anxiety after going through numbers for hours. And I'm only compiling the data. My engineer brain doesn't like finance I guess.

Hope everyone had a great week and will have a great weekend. Spring is around the corner!

Busy week. Seem to be mostly recovered from a cold that migrated from head to sinuses to chest. Still churning lung butter, but that should pass.

Managed to unintentionally drop a couple lbs this week. Down to just over 196. BMI down to 23.9. Only 4 lbs left, and I’ll be the same weight I got married at over 18 years ago.

Between teaching, kids extra-curricular activities, etc - we haven’t had many evenings home with the whole family.

Going to Disney for Spring Break. Had a goal or idea of hitting 190 before leaving. I don’t see that happening but I’m not too worried about it.

Just did 22.5 miles in spin this morning. Dealing with some upper back pain when I’ve tried other classes (one called combat with lots of punching and body pump with lots of lifting) and always seem to end up in pain. Right between the shoulder blades up to the base of my neck. Of course I can’t take anti-inflammatories due to warfarin. Yay. I think I was meant to spin. The only thing I can do pain free.

That cold has migrated to England, or migrated from here to America ! Dh has had one that lasted a really long time (or he had a man-cold), I've had one for half a week now, but it's throat, lungs and sinuses. Sympathies to anyone with this cold.

I'm still suffering from shoulder pain, now over two months despite physio :-( Maybe physio makes it worse ? Maybe I should just rest it.

Snow has cleared from England - all melted yesterday after bringing the country to a standstill with even the army called in to help apparently !

Latest posts

Back