Staying the Course -- 12/04/2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome all! Those wondering what this site is all about might want to read last week's thread (week of Nov. 27). There, they will find a lot of sharing about successes and continuing challenges as we stay our courses. We have some like Superman (no relation) who has achieved a major goal of weight loss/fitness. Me, not so much. Anyway, three cheers for him. Meanwhile, we have others battling on, fighting the good fight, overcoming. Bravo for them!

On another topic, yes, Honeybunny, Lean Cuisine makes some tasty low-cal microwave dinners. Problem for me is getting tired of some varieties of them. Had Orange Chicken for lunch today. I recommend. I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of them, though. Need to work in fresh veggies and fruit etc -- but I feel silly even telling you this. I'm sure you know more about nutrition than do I.

DW and I are still battling wicked upper-respiratory infections, more than two weeks now. Mine is finally starting to break for the better. Hers is too, a little. Beginning to be less wheezing,better breathing --but gradually. Medical bureaucracy alert: our local urgent care tried to order us a nebulizer last Tuesday, but they and the supplier are back and forth on the correct "diagnosis code," and so we don't yet have one. We do have the expensive Rx for the liquid that is supposed to go in it and vaporize, however. Maybe we won't even need the gadget by time it arrives (if it ever does), but this is aggravating. We have a competing new urgent care in our neighborhood (one affiiated with the orthopedic group my hand surgeon is part of) so that will be an easy switch next time we need a "doc in a box."

I'm sitting out my great core fitness class again this week, on orders of my hand PT. Just as well this week, because there will be subs for my wonderful instructor who is away all week on a business trip with her hubby. Hopefully I can resume Tuesday next week, if I promise the PT I will use only the lightest dumbbells (rather than being a dumbbell myself).

Okay, well wishes along your respective courses here! (It's springlike in South Carolina but in a few days we are supposed to have a big shot of that cold wave some of you probably are experiencing already.) About time to put away the shorts I wear about 10 months of the year, and haul out the jeans and jerseys and jackets. Maybe my bright red suit, too. Ho, ho, ho!

Cheers,

Superbob

Glad to hear you and DW are on the mend. Keeping fingers crossed there are no relapses and that the WS40 syrup does the trick. Though not the same as a medical grade device, there are home vaporizers you can purchase. I remember my mother cranking up a big one when we kids were congested and rubbing Vicks into our chest. The loving gesture helped us feel better even if the Vicks didn't.

Thanks for the tip on orange chicken. I'll give it a try. I've already consumed the meals I bought Friday. They aren't cheap but less expensive than the company deli which is my go-to when I don't prepare a lunch at home. And they are filling for me. She also recommended a high protein drink. I've done them from time to time. Again, not cheap, but a good breakfast option for me because I don't eat breakfast as a rule. And yes, she emphasized fresh fruit and vegetables, even frozen veggies.

Hoping to keep a healthy diet during the holiday season so I stay the course!

I once was lost, but. . . oh, that's the wrong song this time.

I've not had much chance to check in this week, as it is a short work week for me. I am taking off work Thursday and Friday this week - just to use up my last two vacation days for the year. We are not allowed to carry over unused days into the new year, and I'll be darned if I will give them back this time. So, I'm trying to do a week's work in three days, and you know how that usually goes.

We're not going anywhere over the long weekend, but we do have reservations for British-style High Tea tomorrow at one of the up-market British hotels in downtown Chicago tomorrow. We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so I made reservations to go back again. We originally wanted to take our daughter, son-in-law and grandsons, but that won't be possible, as we are visiting them this Christmas. Although it is "our turn" to have them with us for Christmas, we decided it would be easier on them if we went to their town rather than having them fly to ours at the peak of holiday travel madness. It will give us a chance to see what their small-town Christmas observance is like, so it isn't a bad thing at all.

SB - Hope your hand heals and the rest of you (and DW) catch up with it post haste. I hate to know that my friends aren't doing well.

Got to run - just got called into another meeting, so I will try to check in later.

Hello hello I am here also and glad to see the ones that are here.

Mr. and Mrs. Superbob healing prayers.
HB thanks for the tips on nutrition. I need to get on board with them asap.
Anne, you sound like a busy Christmas girl! Enjoy the holiday spirit.
Oh Steve I think your Christmas plan sounds perfect. I remember when I had little ones and loved it when we didn't have to haul them all over.

I had quite a week here. Started with a sinus infection(I know your frustration SB as I had to go to another urgent care than the one I normally use just to get an antibiotic) Got to Billings Monday, coming in with snow and wind. Had my bone marrow biopsy and two sessions of blood draws so now we wait. Back to coumadin clinic tomorrow as the antibiotic has changed my INR again. Hematologist said to go home and continue with transfusions and blood draws. He will call me as soon as all results are in. And so I wait...........and stay my course.

Thanks for checking in guys. I'm spoiled with this thread I guess ;)

Anne, hope your busy-ness is all good!

Steve, not having vacation carry over sucks. Heck no, don't let them have it.

jwinter, I hope the health issues get better for you real soon. Your attitude in the face of it all is amazing.

I finally got things sorted with my glucose meter and tested twice today with good results. Weirdly, my biggest problem has been squeezing out enough blood after the prick, even with the lancet set at the deepest piercing level. Frustrating but I'm sure I'll get in the swing of things.

SB, how are you and your lady holding up?

I think the congestion is beginning to clear up (I hesitate to be too confident, though, 'cause this year it seems to have a propensity to just comeback around again, We did finally get the nebulizer and I think it's helping some.

I go see my hand therapist in the morning. Still have some stiffness/soreness in the surgical area even though I have faithfully done all exercises, used heat, and massaged it with cocoa butter. Tomorrow could be the final PT session, or maybe not.

Rainy here today, tomorrow, and next day. Not good dawgwalking days.

Checking in, nothing new around here. Weather is warm with light Santa Ana winds. Fires out here are north of us but we have some friends that are close to one. All ready for Christmas except I need to do some shopping. Finally got that string of lights to stay on.
SB, hope you and your DW continue to recover and don't have it come back. And hope everyone else has a healthy holiday season.
MartinF

Checking in ! I’m busy, busy because I’m doing a kind of cardiac re-rehab, it’s primary aim is to try to help my left ventricle be less hyperdynamic. The sessions are in central London which will mean an hour and a half travel each way, doing this twice a week for the next few weeks, plus whatever they give me to do at home inbetween sessions. And cardiologist has taken me off the ivabradine due to the high blood pressure it was giving me. I suppose I could do a bit of Christmas shopping in London !

Honeybunny - do you warm your hands before you do the finger prick ? if you don't, try as it can help increase the blood flow.

Superbob , how is the mobility in you hand? Any problems gripping things? Is it still painful or more of an annoyance at this point? This morning I got a sudden pain in my hip, like a pinched nerve, and hobbled around for an hour till it worked itself out.

Martin, isn't most of preparing for Christmas shopping-related? LOL Glad you are south of the fires. I'll take Houston hurricanes thank you very much. At least we get several days warning to head for safety. I can't imagine driving down the freeway and suddenly encountering a wall of fire.

Anne, that is a bit of a grueling schedule but I think you're up to it. I hope you see some results. No, I don't warm my hands. I will do that going forward. I'll get the hang of this soon. It's not as big a PIA as I expected.

I opened my big mouth too soon. Fires north and south of my work. I drive south to go home but usually stay local on Thursday night. I heard they closed the highway that I usually take. Hope it's not closed on Friday or that will be a big nightmare.

HB, would rather have fires since I live in a safer area. And for us men Christmas is mostly getting out the decorations, working on lights to get them working, and then some shopping. Will probably help prepare some of the food and of course the clean up after.

HB, had what I thought would be my final PT today but she decided to have me do at least one more in a week. She's pleased with how it's healed, and says the lingering tightness and soreness three weeks after surgery is normal. Gave me some splints I can wear occasionally if I want to, and a few more exercises. Said I can go back to exercise class next week. I can grip light weights,

Latest posts

Back