Staying the Course -- 11/20/2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
If you are new here, you probably wonder why "Throwdown"? Because we originally began as a weight-losing competition, albeit a friendly one. Over the years we have evolved just to an open discussion of our challenges post-op or pre-op -- weight still being a prime one, plus fitness, recreation, work, stress, anything on our minds, life in general. We welcome all who would like to be part of the discussion. Meanwhile, Thanksgiving will be this Thursday in the USA. I believe a similar observance has already occurred for 2017 in Canada. Anyway, one topic this week might be to cite some positives in our lives. Best to all.

My positive is that I spent a wonderful weekend with my 9-yo granddaughter. I enjoy her company so much. We shopped yesterday and Grandma funded her gift-giving.

I will be going solo this Thanksgiving. Older daughter will be with 75 in-laws; younger daughter is 300 miles away, and newly single (since February) son has no plans, though I'm sure he'll have invites from more than one lady friend. I picked up a precooked ham with a glaze that I will heat up, and that will probably be it.

On a sad note (sorry SB), a woman in my ladies civic group died in her sleep Saturday night/Sunday morning. I saw her at a meeting less than two weeks ago. She was my age (63) has always been frail, a lifelong smoker, and had some type of underlying medical condition (not sure what), but she was animated and looked/behaved the same as she always had. At that time we discussed how badly we each wanted to retire and give up our stressful one+ hour daily commute, but couldn't quite do that yet. This is making me think even harder about finding other employment closer to home - a 2018 goal.

Happy turkey day to the U.S. crowd!

How's the hand, Superbob?

Sorry to hear about your friend, honeybunny.

Staying the course stuff (positives). My weight is still decreasing, but at a much slower rate. Not a bad thing at all since I'm officially "normal". Not really changing anything that triggered the initial loss, but I seem to have found a weight closer to what my caloric intake and expenditures are approaching equilibrium. Still spinning, added some weight training this week, and did some aerobic classes with my wife. 202.2 was my low weigh in. Down from over 230 at the end of August. I haven't been this light since I ran a 25k in 2000, but I have no plans to do any such thing again.

I posted my valversary in the proper forum. 27 years tomorrow since my first. I also will enjoy my birthday on Thanksgiving this year. Good times. Hosting dinner. Just 10 people total, but 7 of us are there every day.

Good Morning. Staying the course and typing this message as part of being as positive as I can at this time.

I am very thankful for the family I have that continue to stay by my side and offer up texts, pictures, and phone calls when I need them the most. The kids are all well in health and have busy lives with family, friends, and work (even lazy son in law got a part time job) and for that I am thankful.

Because the topic is thankful I will leave it at that. Hope your week is good.

jwinter;n880329 said:
Staying the course and typing this message as part of being as positive as I can at this time.
Same with me I'm afraid. But I'm very glad for the existence of this forum and everyone on it. And the fact that I have some very good doctors.

Happy Thanksgiving for everyone on the US side of the pond !

I feel that I have SO much for which to be thankful this year.

We have a happy, healthy new grandson who is now 5 months old. We get to see him again, as well as his older brother, mommy (our daughter) and daddy at their home over the Christmas holidays.

I celebrated the first anniversary of my pacemaker and lead replacement with all systems "go."

Thanksgiving weekend also marks the first anniversary of my final treatment for prostate cancer, and it now appears that the treatment has been successful, with all critical statistics headed in the right direction. (I haven't said anything about this until now, as I wasn't sure where things were headed).

My wife retired at the end of this past July, and is really enjoying her newfound freedom.

I have set a date of March 31, 2018 to enter semi-retirement myself. I've discussed this with my long-time friends who own the company, and the current plan is that I will work one week of each month, just to close the books and prepare financial statements. I will be "retired" the remaining weeks of each month, affording time to travel, socialize, engage in hobbies, exercise, become a pain in the rear to my wife . . .you know - all the things the newly retired seem to do.

And, lest we forget, WE are all still here to support each other.

May we all have a peaceful, happy and totally wondrous Thanksgiving Holiday!

Survived Thanksgiving without gaining weight. Now the challenge is the leftovers! I still need to lose 5-6 lbs but seem to be at my "working weight."
Thankful for my health.
HB, I've also decided that 3 hours of commuting is too much and I'm looking for another job. Won't be easy as my industry has left the area and I'll be 61 soon. Need this to reduce stress. Wish I could semi-retire.
Martin

Dipped below 200 this morning for the first time since the 1990's! 199.6. Working on leftovers today though. I've managed to get workouts in every morning this break so far so that should help.

Went and got the family Christmas Tree today. Noticed I wasn't nearly as winded as in years past when dragging that 12 ft frasier through the field. Could be my 16 year old son who is within a couple inches and 20 lbs of me helping though.

Latest posts

Back