Staying the Course -- 10--30--2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Is Halloween a big deal in your 'hoods? Sure is around here -- guess we qualify as a bedroom community. Some 250 trick or treaters last year, and I'm guessing at least 300 this year with new homes having been built and sold. I have enough candy to accommodate that with a strict 1 piece per gremlin. Hard not to give the cute little ones more, though. Guess if we run out, will just have to turn off lights. 8 p.m. will be our deadline for giveaways because that's when Game Six of Astros/Dodgers World Series will begin -- and I have been watching every pitch and want to see all the rest. What a Series between two powerhouse teams! (GO ASTROS!)

Hope all will have a good week. Sorry last week's thread slowed -- I should have steered us to something besides my trials and tribulations.

Cheers all,

Superbob

Wow that's a lot of kids, Superbob. We usually only get about 40 or 50 kids total throughout the night. Depends somewhat on the weather how many we get though. It's supposed to be 18F degrees wind chill which is a good 30 degrees colder than last year.

It's not much of an event here in the UK, though the shops would like it to be and encourage it. We usually only get half a dozen kids come round. I have a box of choccies to hand out that is left over from last year - there's more than 3/4 left and it's just about in date ;-)

Last time somebody came to our place to trick or treat was 1984. One of the benefits of living in the country. Since we don't buy candy, it helps staying on the course.

Happy Halloween everyone.

When we lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, we used to have exactly 1 trick or treater -- our granddaughter. Now that we live in a fast-growing beach community, we have hundreds -- I would estimate at least 300 tonight. On the positive side, 99 percent were polite, and I could hear parents in the background urging them to say "thank you," which most did. Also on positive side, had kids of varied racial and ethnic backgrounds all out enjoying the night peacefully together -- and that's something in this day and time. On negative, two teen boys who returned 3 times trying to con me out of extra candy and being obnoxious about it. But they were the exception. A nice Halloween as far as I can determine. How the clear light of dawn doesn't show any differently.

We have lived in the same "bedroom community" at the edge of Chicago for the past 26 years. The number of children has ebbed and flowed. When our daughter was little, it seemed that there was a never-ending stream of kids all afternoon and evening. As she became older, so did the community, and there were fewer kids. The flow dwindled to the point that for many years we had maybe 4 or 5 kids. The older kids stay out and prank people (smashing the pumpkins, etc.), but they don't dress up and don't need to beg for candy (I guess mommy and daddy supply plenty). This year we probably had 20-30 kids, mostly the 2 to 10 year-olds. The number of children coming out seems to vary with the age cycles of the community. As new younger families move in, we see more kids out for Halloween. I'm glad to see it, as that means to me that the community is once again re-populating with younger families.

The one phenomenon that sort of annoys me is when the parents load all the kids into the car and go trick-or-treating in other neighborhoods. Are they going to the more affluent areas in the hopes of scoring more/better candy, or are they going where they feel safer? The former would annoy me; the latter not so much.

Been a couple weeks since I got back to this encouraging thread. I had another round of swelling, blood transfusion, and back and forth until INR is once again theraputic. I told them all at the clinics that I would not be waiting for that colonoscopy and endoscopy in the future. It has been since the 8th of September that everything was going well. Once again thankful to be alive.

Halloween no big deal here but so enjoyed the pictures sent to me of the little grandchildren having fun. They live in the heart of the "Bakken" in ND where the boom has slowed but is coming back some so they attend Halloween parties at community center. Yay for safety for little ones.

Superbob, I bet you have fun seeing all those little ones but 300! Wow! Hope everyone else is doing well staying the course. I had started an indoor walking dvd two weeks before my blood took a dive downward and hope to return to some exercise in AZ. Our trailer is packed with ATV and washer dryer for our home there, totes are filling with tools for our hobbies, will winterize our home next week, and take off south.. Hope to make it over the Rockies with few delays.Cannot wait! Oh and today is my one year anniversary of my new valve.

Soo many things to be thankful for again this year.....hope you all feel the same......have a good week and hang in there. The course is not always easy.

Haven't had more than a dozen trick or treaters in the 12 years I've lived in my home. Old neighborhood with very few youngsters. Every year I buy a bag of candy just in case, and every year I bring it to work on 11/1.

This year my youngest granddaughter asked me to bring *her* dog to her home (16 miles from me) so they could go as a police officer and her prisoner (I'll try to upload the photo). Unfortunately, the folks she went with stopped at a party first at the local police station and the pup pooped as his first order of business, getting him banned. So I went home early.

It's been fun reading everyone's Halloween tales. Thanks for sharing.

P.S., I've been bringing bags of candy to work for 2 1/2 weeks and have not eaten a single piece. Trying to really buckle down on the sugar intake. Down four lbs.

Attachments

• photo9159.png
    photo9159.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 127
Look at that cute "prisoner"! Poop or not, such a prize worthy costume! Thanks for sharing and a big WTG on that 4 lb. loss!

We do it here in South Australia.
300 kids? I think that's great.
HB, I reckon all police officers should have 'COP' written on their uniforms, just so there are no misunderstandings.

Latest posts

Back