Staying the Course -- 10--02--2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Trying to muster a little optimism at the beginning of another Stay the Course week. It's hard to do. Praying for all those affected by the mass shooting of a peaceful country-music concert in Las Vegas. Hard if not impossible to comprehend. Guess we will be hearing more about possible motives. I will try to shift gears here along our courses. Fred, enjoyed your concluding post from last week. You are a better man than I am to be able to do all that work in hot and humid Florida! We're starting to make some family Thanksgiving plans. Think we will do a staycation -- my son has access to some fine oceanfront lodging, and we will enjoy a Thanksgiving buffet at a fine restaurant and spare my dear wife from laboring all day to prepare our feast. We do have much for which to be grateful. Going to see a hand doctor -- this is a new one for me -- tomorrow. I have a finger on my right hand that feels frozen and pops when I bend it. Would just consider it a nuisance but it is gradually making t harder to grip a steering wheel, and that's not good. I think it is something called "trigger finger" (no not necessarily from firing a gun) in which a tendon runs amok. A shot may help, and then there is a minor surgical procedure that has a high success rate. Guess I will get back to fitness class tomorrow before going to see the doc. Our wonderful teacher won't be back til Halloween 'cause her hubby will be having very complicated back surgery, and she needs to help him in recovery. Her fitness knowledge should help him. So praying for them. I hope this turns out to be a positive week for all as we stay our respective courses. Baseball playoffs start this week. "My" Cardinals aren't in it, so I will need to pick another team to root for. Cheers all, Superbob

well, something seems to be messed up -- I had a hard time finding the usual "new post" to start the thread, and now it won't let me edit existing posts of mine. Don't know if it's something on my end or the system. Maybe as we go on through the week, others can post and we can see if all is right again.

I haven't been able to "like" anything for awhile on the forum. Oft times if I don't have any specific wisdom to offer, I will at least like a post so the poster knows his/her venting/sharing is being read. Nothing much on the horizon here in Houston. We're scheduled for a rainy week. Had one of those two weeks ago and the sky would open just as I was starting my commute home. Rain, even when not heavy, just slows traffic to a crawl, and I have 34 miles to crawl home each evening. The morning commute is between 5:30 and 6:30 a.m. so traffic is not as heavy, though of late it seems to be getting worse. Our dance instructor sent a video of the dance will start learning this week. I'm excited! Lots of movement. Hope I can keep up. Like you, SB, I am waiting to hear if a motive will be uncovered for the Vegas shooting. I watched an interview yesterday with his brother and there was nothing to indicate the guy would do this. My son has traveled to Vegas for C&W shows in the past, but thankfully was not there this time. My flight attendent daughter goes routinely to Vegas but I've not known her to attend an outdoor concert. The thing that is so shattering about this tragedy and others is that people wake up excitedly looking forward to a fun event, perhaps have planned it for months. The juxtaposition of emotions....how can you get your head around that? There is a song, "Can't Cry Hard Enough" by the Williams Brothers that I listened to often after my husband died just months before 9/11. It's appropriate for this situation, also. You can look it up on YouTube; many artists have recorded it. I'm gonna live my life Like everyday's the last Without a simple goodbye It all goes by so fast And now that you're gone I can't cry hard enough No I can't cry hard enough For you to hear me now Can I open my eyes And see for the first time I've let go of you like A child letting go of his kite There it goes Up in the sky There it goes Beyond the clouds For no reason why I can't cry hard enough No I can't cry hard enough For you to hear me now Can I look back in vain And see you standing there With all that remains Its just an empty chair And now that you're gone I can't cry hard enough No I can't cry hard enough For you to hear me now There it goes Up in the sky There it goes Beyond the clouds For no reason why I can't cry hard enough No I can't cry hard enough For you to hear me now. Songwriters: Marvin Etzioni / David B. Williams Can't Cry Hard Enough lyrics © Peermusic Publishing, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc

Well, sorry folks. When I typed the above I had the lyrics appropriately formatted but they posted as a string. Guess you will have to Google to read them correctly.

honeybunny
When I typed the above I had the lyrics appropriately formatted but they posted as a string
That's one of the other things that has gone wrong with the forum at the moment - everything appears as one big paragraph, no matter how you write it. And we can't quote either using the Quote button - the only way I've done it is by copying what I want to quote and using 'square bracket quote' at the beginning and '/ square bracket' at the end - I hope that turns out right LOL - I won't know till I post it as the Preview button doesn't work either ! I emailed Hank to alert him of this and the other issues last Thursday. I hope he is able to fix this soon.

'square bracket quote' at the beginning and '/ square bracket' at the end
I mean 'square bracket quote square bracket' at the beginning and 'square bracket /quote square bracket' at the end of what I'm trying to quote...grrrr......we really need preview back..........

Will keep this short as it is hard to read all strung together. Way to hang in there with the exercise Superbob. I know a gal that had her trigger finger operated on and she could not be happier with the results (don't ask her about knee replacement, though). lol Anne I am not even going to work the bracket thing as I hope a fix is coming. Havre MT got 15 inches of snow yesterday. Yahooooooooooooo!!! Can you tell I am going to winter in AZ? Hopefully I will have to find a little shade to eat my holiday meals under :) I have one primary doc visit left, an echo coming up, am done with Lovenox shots, and ready for a break from this doctoring social life I have. Cannot wait! Now, I must also post a bit on Las Vegas. Victim pictures were just shown and so very sad. I had my first valve operation at Las Vegas so I know they are taking good care of the injured. HB, glad to read your children are safe. Such a shame this had to happen :( May your week be a good one as we stay the course.

I'll try to post my comments. . . but sometimes the server just takes so long I have to log out. I'm still in shock about the events in Vegas. I just guess I don't understand people and the things they do. I'm still here, trying to stay the course. Have some "non-threatening" doc appointments this week, then things settle down until the next round in a couple of weeks. Isn't getting older fun? We get to have lots of new friends, but their first names always seem to be "Doctor." Our newest grandson is still having some digestive problems. He is almost 4 months old, and is now on prescription formula #3, trying to find one that he tolerates and will take. He's doing fine, always happy and easy-going, and is right on target weight, but too often his formula upsets his little tummy. Docs don't see anything serious, but it is still very worrisome for mommy and daddy. His 2-year-old bog bro is being great, though. We get to see them next at Christmas time. Weather here is tending toward fall now. We haven't seen a spot of blue in the grey skies for the last 2 or 3 days. Not raining. Just clouds. Standard Chicago weather pattern, where the low pressure systems stall right over the city and just keep if nasty looking for days, even weeks. We can sympathize with all those in Seattle. . .

Thanks jwinter for citing a happy customer of "trigger finger" surgery. Turns out I now can add that to my catalog of old geezer ailments, and I will have surgery to correct it October 18. Would just let it go as a nuisance except that it affects my grip on car steering wheel and the farther I drive the more it stiffens up and hurts. Don't want that limitation on places we might want to go. My main worry is whether to take the la-la land sedation (which is like what you get in colonoscopy -- like a light switch switches you off, then switches you back when it's done -- propofol, I believe it is.) or have a numbing shot right in my hand (similar to novacaine) which my Doc indicates hurts like heck. I am re-checking with my cardio on safety of these options. Steve, sorry 'bout your grandson's digestive problems -- hope that clears up in short order. Don't know if my exercise teacher will let me off post-surgery. She's already talking about me just doing dumbbells and stuff left-handed. That could be difficult with planking, however. lol I told her I may just drink pina coladas on the beach til December. : ) I, too, hate this one big paragraph thing -- and also hate not being able to edit --- if you have an embarrassing typo (which I almost did) you're stuck with it. Anyway, thanks to all for battling through it -- staying the course....!

I get trigger finger too SB but I've never had surgery for mine as isn't bad enough - it's usually first thing in the morning when I wake up that my little and ring fingers on my right hand trigger and also ache a bit. This afternoon I've been for review with my endocrinologist, review of my diabetes of which he says I have "exemplary control". Endo always takes great interest in my heart problem too which we always discuss - he was the doctor who saw me the most often when I had AVR, he came every day to check up on me. We discussed the current situation re the small valve replacement and the surgeon I saw. Next stop is to see my cardiologist again and have another echocardiogram - I'll get on and arrange that now. Horrible and truly shocking what happened in Las Vegas :-(

Well, my cardiologist declined to give routine clearance for my hand surgery, and moved up my scheduled echo from December to next week to check on the ticker and its replacement parts before she gives further consideration. You know, even if she does ultimately give an okay, I'm thinking may be best just to live with the balky finger as a nuisance and keep focused on the larger concern, an eventual heart re-do. Even minor surgery has risks.

Ouch! SB - Is your cardio just being cautious, or is she trying to tell you that maybe she has something more important in your near future? I would imagine that as surgery goes, that "trigger-finger" procedure is really minor, so if she is actually concerned, check it out. On the other hand, she may be just doing her job, checking your ticker to be sure it is up to the task. I hope it is the latter.

Thought it would be a routine clearance since she saw me in August, and we were going to schedule an echo in December. But her deciding to move the echo up to next week and to evaluate results first makes me think she does have some concerns. And I am thinking now, regardless what the echo results are, that it may be best just to let the minor hand problem go for now. We'll see -- I will try to post updates. Which by the way is not easy to do with all the quirkiness of the system right now. Hope that can clear up soon.

SB, hope all is OK and you can get clearance for the trigger finger procedure. Saw my surgeon, 4 weeks post-op, and all is well. Healing well so I'm going to walk my normal 15 minute/mile pace tomorrow for a 5.5 miler. Surgery was not heart related but has limited my exercise. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Glad to hear you got a good post-op report, Martin! Looks like you are staying the walking course for sure -- way to go! Still frustrating here on the thread -- find I cannot use the "Next" button to go to the recent posts. Have to click the poster's name on the main menu. Appreciate all of you hanging in with these glitches or whatever they may be called...surely we'll get back to normal one day. Stay the course!

Latest posts

Back