Staying the Course -- 09--11--2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Not a lot of jolly -- instead, a mostly melancholy start this new STC week. The 16th anniversary of the horrible terrorist attack on our beloved nation coinciding with the natural disaster in the Southland, particularly Florida, that was Hurricane Irma. Now downgraded to a tropical storm, Irma is working its way toward Memphis. At one time we thought about evacuating to Memphis, where we have family, but when the track shifted westward we decided to stay home in South Carolina. We are starting to get our impacts from the huge storm now with bands of rain, some fairly brisk wind gusts, and coastal flooding. (maybe gusts of 50 mph, 4-6 inches of rain, storm surge of 1-3 feet). It is minor compared to the destruction from the Keys to Jacksonville, so we were very fortunate this time. Last year, we took a bigger hit with Hurricane Matthew. We still have about 7 weeks left of the current hurricane season.

I am feeling the melancholy, having just heard from a friend that Hurricane Jose has done a sharp turn in the Atlantic and may be headed for the SE coast too. It has had a propensity to meander, though, so maybe it will change its mind again.

My positive thought: Our country and people showed amazing resilience after 9/11, and now we are doing the same after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma -- in Texas, Florida and other states close by. You can't keep a strong people down!

Ellie and I had a delightful walk this morning, with cool temps, refreshing breezes, and a misty rain presaging the torrential sheets that are, well, dogging us now. Dawgwalking must continue, and hopefully exercise class tomorrow.

Hope all of you (including Honeybunny in Texas) are doing well and meeting your challenges as we all stay the course!

Cheers,

Superbob

Very nice post, Superbob! My prayers to all those affected by angry weather and to stay strong.
Im trying to walk our doggy as much as I can, as my only exercise besides cooking and cleaning!

All is still good on my end. Glad you have escaped the worst of Irma and (it seems) Jose.

I wish the kindness, and patience shown during the worst of Irma had tranferred to Houston drivers. We're back to being crazy.

And I can't seem to stop eating again. Arrrgghhh!

Good to see some of our hurricane people accounted for. My boring Lovenox injections and tests seem pretty trivial compared to all your devastation and disaster! Thinking of you all as you face the days ahead.

Hello Eva and keep up the doggy exercise also. It is part of the course and very important.

Hung my flag out yesterday and spent some time just remembering................

Staying the course here in Montana and praying for rain!

Have a good week all!.

I'll add my sympathy and prayers for all of our folks who have been impacted by these storms. We, here in the Middle Rust Belt, rarely feel the impact of storms like these. Yes, we sometimes get big rains or snowstorms, but in the big cities the winds are muted and rarely come to much. The majesty of Mother Nature can be beautiful or terrible, depending upon her mood.

On Monday, I simply took a quiet moment to reflect on where I was and what I was doing on 9/11/01, and to offer a silent prayer for all those affected by the events on that date. We have come a long way since then, and I sincerely hope we don't backslide from there.

Some interesting skillet meals under 400 calories if anyone cares to try them. (I can't get the hyperlink to work so you may need to copy/paste the URL or search on "one skillet dishes under 400 calories") They look tasty. My problem, as always, is bothering to cook for just me. But I may try a couple and use them for lunches.
http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/9-one-skillet-dishes-400-calories/

honeybunny;n878917 said:
Some interesting skillet meals under 400 calories if anyone cares to try them. (I can't get the hyperlink to work so you may need to copy/paste the URL or search on "one skillet dishes under 400 calories") They look tasty. My problem, as always, is bothering to cook for just me. But I may try a couple and use them for lunches.
http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/9-one-skillet-dishes-400-calories/

Thanks, HB -- those one-skillet meals look like a good possibility. As DW and I age, meal prep becomes a growing problem. We also have a new meal-prep service in the area offering prepared meals for about $8, I believe. Got to try that out. Anyway, thanks for the info on one-skillet meals.

Update, we came through a sideswipe from Hurricane Irma in decent shape, though it was kind of scary the night (entire night) it blew through. Was afraid we'd have trees doewn that almost fell during Matthew, But thank God, they're still standing.

Superbob;n878928 said:
It may be time for someone else to take over keeping up Staying the Course, or just let it go. Maybe it has run its course. I am losing my zest for it.
I hope my blurting out random nonsense, in an attempt to be funny, hasn't contributed to this. I was always the class clown. I do understand why my humour can sometimes cause offence.

Please don't abandon the forum SB. you are seriously one of the bright spots of my week. Staying the Course is why I come to the site. I feel like I'm visiting with friends when I come here.

Latest posts

Back