Staying the Course -- 08--28--17

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Good morning, dear Stay the Coursers. I am starting the new week's posts a little earlier than usual as I watch on TV the continued rescue and relief efforts in Houston and other parts of Texas (Louisiana next, looks like). The magnitude of this natural disaster is just hard to comprehend -- the weather people now think some areas may have a cumulative total of 50 inches of rain through the end of this week. So good to hear from Honeybunny late last night and she and her loved ones are doing okay so far. We will continue extending our best thoughts and prayers to her, and to all being affected by this massive tropical system, once a hurricane now a marauding monster.

It is all surreal because this morning we are under a tropical storm watch in the Carolinas with soon-to-be TS Irma expected to bring some brisk winds and maybe 6 inches of rain tonight. We are also under a flash flood warning through tonight. But that is a mere drizzle compared to the historic levels of rainfall in Texas.

One thing all this underscores is how unpredictable these systems are. I recall when Harvey was first forming the Weather Channel people (and bless them for being out there in disaster zones trying to inform us) indicated Harvey would have an impact on Mexico but not on the U.S. Gulf states. Just shows these tropical cyclones have minds of their own. I suppose Irma could strengthen unexpectedly and slam us a bit harder; however, doesn't appear to have the makings of a Harvey.

Meanwhile, before the torrents begin this afternoon, have some fine dawgwalking weather -- cool -- yes actually cool -- breezes under scuttling clouds -- quite pleasant. Have to walk extra this morning 'cause may be confined to quarters this afternoon.

Hope all you stalwart Coursers are doing fine. Look forward to hearing from y'all.

Cheers,

Superbob

We Flatlanders are still out here. We had a marvelous weekend, with temperatures in the mid-70's. Saturday was mostly sunny, so my wife and I spent the day at the Chicago Botanic Garden. This is a 250-300 acre garden with many different focal areas, pubs, restaurants and other attractions. It is a very serene place, not at all like an amusement park. We have gone there over the years, but we were so pleased with it this time that we joined the organization. We don't plan to volunteer there, but members do enjoy free parking and admission as well as discounts on food, beverages and purchases at the shops. They also have weekly cooking demonstrations, showcasing various veggies that they grow on site. We quite literally spent the entire day there on Saturday, and it remains one of the high points of our summer.

Sunday was mostly an around-home day, with the usual errands and household tasks. Just now we are getting back to "normal" after the kids and grandkids headed back East. We're a good bit more tired than usual, but that, too, shall pass.

This week is just an ordinary week. . . I hope. Nothing special planned. Weather is supposed to cool down some, with rain on a few of the days. I did notice that it now remains dark until past 6:00 AM, which is a sure sign that fall is nearly here. We plan a number of outings and outdoor things this year to enjoy what remains of summer and fall, so I'll keep you all posted as things come to pass.

Hope everyone is doing well - especially all of our family in Texas and Louisiana. Over the last 15-20 years, we've has some really minor flooding issues, and those are enough to shake your confidence in your home's safety, so I simply cannot imagine how those in areas like Houston must feel. It just leaves me with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I am relieved that we've heard from Honeybunny and she is safe for the time being. The situation in southern Texas/Louisiana is horrendous and my thoughts and prayers are with all affected. Super bob, I hope you escape relatively unscathed as this next tropical system moves onshore. I hope it doesn't affect Fred's vacation in North Carolina. Steve, your day at the botanical gardens sounds wonderful. We are members of Shaw's Gardens in St. Louis and enjoy it very much.

so far we are just getting a gentle brush-by from our minimal tropical storm -- 'course it still could kick up some trouble in the middle of the night.

tomorrow, have an appointment with my cardiologist. After my exercise class, which I reckon I will do (or not)... I guess the main thing I want to know is if my patchwork ticker is still tickin' like a ticker oughtta tick. I am thinking she will order up an echocardiogram for me in a few weeks. Approaching 13 years with my combo aortic valve/root. That's a good run so far, but there are no warranties. Will it outlive me, or will I outlive it and be a candidate for a replacement? Those thoughts go through my old head once in a while. I am blessed to have had the extra time I have had, I know. Okay that's the mood I am in tonight.

I hope the cardio's office at least has a new set of scales by now, one that doesn't make you nearly 10 pounds heavier than you really are!

Maybe a fairly gentle tropical rain will be good for sleeping tonight. Hold the thunder though!

Oh, and Steve and Duffey, we have the Brookgreen Gardens here (Murrells Inlet) -- gorgeous mix of nature, art, and history. I need to get us back out there this fall.

Good evening all! I still cannot believe the devastation of the weather. Have been watching a bit on weather channel also and it is incredible! Prayers for all in the path of these bad storms.

I sure would love to see all those botanical gardens etc. you speak of here. Sounds just wonderful.

Superbob wish you the best at your appointment. Those cardios must all get their scales at same place as the ones I have been on all seem to weigh on the heavy side. Darn things!

My course is back doctoring again and not liking it much. Saw the gastro and have to have a barrage of tests again as my hemoglobin remains low. I always thought the coumadin and INR was going to be a bit of a challenge and turns out it is nothing compared to 5 days of giving self those shots in stomach to bridge with Lovonox and then that gawwd awful colonoscopy prep......can hardly wait. lol

Awe well, so it goes. Good to see the posts here. Take care all.

Wishing you the best at your doctor visit SB. I love your attitude. That was one thing I tried to remember when I'd get nervous about my impending surgery; without it I'd be dead within a year or so.

Staying the course in H-town!

So great to hear from you, HB in H-town! Watching so many water rescues is inspiring -- people coming together, helping each other -- but the scale of destruction is just horrible. Anyway, keep staying the course, Honeybunny!

As for me, I actually went to my exercise class and did the stepped-up planks with leg kicks, somehow. I was wearing an Orange Crush tee and my teacher told me I was "crushing it." Now I feel whupped and have to go to cardiologist appointment. Hope my ticker was good with the planking.

Take care!

Hey, SB - I don't really worry about my heart when planking. I worry about my back going into spasm if I'm having one of those "iffy" days and experiencing lower back pain. I don't skip the exercise when I have back pain, because if I did, I would never get to exercise. Some times I have lower back pain for days or even weeks. As long as it doesn't spasm (I have a propensity toward pinching a particular nerve), I just go for it.

Isn't arthritis fun?

epstns;n878638 said:
Hey, SB - I don't really worry about my heart when planking. I worry about my back going into spasm if I'm having one of those "iffy" days and experiencing lower back pain. I don't skip the exercise when I have back pain, because if I did, I would never get to exercise. Some times I have lower back pain for days or even weeks. As long as it doesn't spasm (I have a propensity toward pinching a particular nerve), I just go for it.

Isn't arthritis fun?

Steve, strangely enough, planking feels good for my back. I have spinal stenosis, so maybe the positioning helps ease the narrowing of the spinal canal down in the lumbar region. Sorry that you battle the back pain when you exercise. I battle mine when I walk, which is unfortunate given how much I love walking.hiking. We all have our challenges on these courses we strive to stay.

My cardio on my visit yesterday was enthusiastic about planking. Just use common sense, know my limits etc. I had not gained any weight since my visit 6 months ago -- so that is something of a victory, considering how much we oldsters eat take-out. If I could lose 5 by my next visit in December, I would be overjoyed. She's scheduled me for an an echo then, so we'll continue to check on my replacement device, which continues to rack up the mileage.

Try not to get too worried about that echo, SB. As long as you feel OK, you probably are - at least in the big picture generalities. I have my annual echo in the summertime. At my July visit, the echo basically said that my valve and flow measurements are as they were at time of implant. I'll take that as a win, since it is a tissue valve and was implanted 6 1/2 years ago.

As far as my back goes, most days are fine. I just seem to go through periods of days or even weeks when I have low-grade lower back pain. Most times, if I am careful of how I move and what I do, it is just that pain. Once in a great while, that pain morphs into a full-on spasm, which requires medication (anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory meds) and reduced exercise intensity for a week or so. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all that often, so I just make do with over-the-counter generic ibuprofen when it hurts enough to get in the way.

We're still getting back to normal here. This weekend the plan is to spend one day changing out some storage closet doors in the rec room. We now have bi-fold doors and I'm changing them for sliding doors. Once I get the first one up, I think the other two will go more smoothly. I'm always concerned about the picky dimensions until I get into the task, then I realize that I can figure it out somehow. . .

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. I'm always a bit subdued at Labor Day, as it means the end of "official" summer here in the upper rust belt.

honeybunny;n878672 said:
Hey SB, I see that Irma is gathering strength as it heads your way. What are the local forecasters saying?

Yeah, been watching that one since it formed off the African coast. Our best local forecaster points out that models different on Irma's ultimate direction -- one takes it right up the SE coast, meaning basically us; one has it taking a sharp right turn and going harmlessly out into the north Atlantic; and one has it going into the Gulf. I don't wish more misery on folks in Texas and LA, but I don't want it here either -- I think we can join in rooting for it to just head out into the ocean. It's still way out there; we're not supposed to worry about it yet, but it's probably time to think about getting concerned.

honeybunny;n878674 said:
Thanks. Keep us posted.

Been following these for years (am something of a weather nerd) and I think we'uns in the Carolinas are in the sights of this one. Even a cautious Weather Channel guy said it looks "ominous" this morning. Checking out possible pet-friendly evacuation destinations if this is a Cat 3, 4, or 5; and stocking in case we ride it out as we did with Matthew last year.

Back