Staying the Course -- 08-07-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Greetings all Coursers, and welcome to the start of a new week. Dornole first gave us the nickname "Courser," and I like it! Hope the course you are staying this week is a good one.

As I write this looking out back I see a hummingbird, butterfly (Monarch, I believe), and a big fat bumblebee all partaking of blossoms on our sprawling Lantana bush, and in fairly close proximity to one another. I would try to take a photo; however, a large thunderstorm is building in the distance, and the thunder is fairly loud, meaning of course lightning is a threat. So I'd just as soon keep staying my course inside right now, thank you. But isn't it grand once in a while just to slow down, kick back, and observe what's going on in our natural world?

I have a dental appointment tomorrow afternoon to install a bridge for which the impression was taken several weeks ago. Also there is a small filling to repair. After that, I hope not to have to return to the dentist until time for the regular 6-month cleaning. I have the appointment just 90 minutes after the end of exercise class, for which there will be a sub teacher 'cause our regular gal has gone out of town to be with her mom for rotator cuff surgery. She was unable to get a sub for Thursday. So it is awfully tempting to just take the whole week off, but she pleaded with us not to do that. So guess I will go 'cause she's the best fitness instructor I've ever had and I don't want to disappoint her.

On a visit to bookstore I bought a nice Healthy Heart fitness book, filled with color photos of exercises, including many we do in core fitness (yes some even involving planks). So now I can sit here and exercise my mind instead of my bod. Or maybe I could even try to do some of these at home (though I lack gear such as a Swiss Ball or weights. Maybe I should invest in them.)

Supposed to be thunderstormy all week. We are in the tropical soupy season now.

Cheers, all Coursers!

Superbob

And a Good Tuesday morning to all!

Well, Monday is now history. At least we have survived the start of the work week. I had a decadent dinner last night - with 5 of my high school friends. We six musketeers get together for dinner a couple of times a year, just to stay in touch. We have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now, and we even attended the class' 50th reunion two years ago. Time sure goes quickly when you're having fun.

Our weather has taken a turn for the gorgeous for a change. I am hoping it stays that way for a while, as we have a crowd invited to our neighborhood's block party on Saturday. If it stays dry, then we have lots of room. If wet. . .

I've also been hitting the gym, but not at full intensity. The past couple of weeks I've had a lot of stress at home and work, and I find it harder to exercise at full intensity when all that adrenaline kicks in during the day. I'll stay with it, though, and hope that I can keep things under control.

I'll be . . . Stayin' the Course!

Morning all and good to see those checking in. Those that aren't are just too busy I am sure. I have been a slacker and am here to admit. No watching calories this last week and just was a little bummed about my last check up and upcoming tests.

Still hanging in there and have spent some time helping the kids and grands. Have an upcoming house foreclosure for one and is kind of sad. Things have gotten better for them but they just fell behind. We will all gather our trailers and help them get moved to a rental. This is my daughter and husband and they just found out they have another baby on the way too. Tried to tell them that in the middle of turmoil God has sent them a blessing. I do understand their pain though...........sigh.

I need to take up more exercise to get those endorphins moving and help shake off that gloomy edge life is dishing at this time.

Time to go outside and work a bit before it warms up. My course is working on the "positives" at this time.

Have a great week all!

I've come down with a virus of some sort. Fever on Sunday and extremely upset tummy. Still like that today, though fever is down now. Feel very lightheaded, probably due to what ever it is and not eating and getting dehydrated. I'm taking it very easy - been in bed most of the time. Once I recover I will have to make up for loss of exercise and walking....and food !

Hey all, sorry I disappeared for a couple weeks! I met with my new cardiologist, (old one moved away in June) had an echo in the morning before seeing him. He explained everything better to me than my old doc or my surgeon did ,so that was nice. He said my mitral valve is still narrowed and has moderate regurgitation (which I already knew, my surgeon did the best he could to repair it, to avoid two mechanical valves.) No idea how long this repair will last. Kind of bummed that I went with a mechanical valve for my aorta and I will still need surgery again one day, but grateful that I'm able to be fixed. My new doc wasn't happy that the nurses there aren't getting my INR into range (it was below range for probably 9 or 10 weeks straight.) He took me into the nurses station with him while he told them that I have a mechanical valve and to be more aggressive about getting it into range. So last week I FINALLY hit 2.5 (my range is 2.5-3.5), and my nurse is like, "phew, we're in range, I think we should just leave your dose where it's at and see where you end up in a few weeks." I'm like, "seriously? I'd like to be on the high end so I can start eating more healthy and not have to worry if my INR is dropping out of range again." So she only added 2.5mg to my entire week. I'm so ready to start testing at home.

Anywho, my birthday was yesterday, better update my signature! My family and I went to Sky Zone which is an indoor trampoline park. I was nervous about how I would do because I got pretty short of breath before surgery when I went there. I think I actually did a little better! I've been eating low carb (keto diet) for probably a month now and my weight loss was at a standstill about a week and a half ago. I decided to medicate myself because I just feel off, so I took one of my diuretic pills from after surgery and I dropped 3 pounds overnight, and it stayed off! That was a week ago and today I just jumped up 2lbs. I had a week a few weeks back where I was short of breath just like before surgery, my doc said he'd prescribe me a diuretic if it started happening again. I just don't know...I need to start exercising more.

Happy Birthday

anyway, pardon me, but ....

dreamy885;n878246 said:
... (which I already knew, my surgeon did the best he could to repair it, to avoid two mechanical valves.) No idea how long this repair will last.

Just wondering, why your surgeon thought one not not have two mechanical valves (one in Aortic, the other in Mitral)? I already found two studies which explored it saying there was no additional risk and INR was kept between 2 and 3 ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1904448/

In our previous study over 13 years with the St. Jude Medical (SJM) mechanical prosthesis valve, we observed that long-term survival for combined aortic and mitral valve replacement was similar to that for mitral valve replacement alone [1]

I suppose that its too late now for you Heather, but if a lurker is reading this, it seems a good question to ask your surgeon .... in a hard and pointed way.

I'm still here, just really busy with work and family. Not training as hard as usual, but at least I can walk a few miles a day. Crazy next week, too, then maybe it settles down a bit.

I'm happy to see all the folks here. Let's keep this as the gathering place for a while. . .

Sounds like our Coursers are hanging in there. Paleowoman, hope you are feeling a lot better by now. As I'm sure you know, just ease back into the exercise when you feel up to it.

As for me, I'm in a humidity meltdown having just returned from the morning dawgwalk. Was bright and sunny this morning for first time in about a week, but huge storm clouds are rolling in now. It's possible tropical system will develop off the coast and prolong our soupy weather even more. Doesn't look like a likely hurricane -- yet, anyway.

Cheers all...

Back