Staying the Course -- 07-24-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Whoops! -- It is Monday night already and I have not opened a new Stay the Course week. Believe it or not, even at my advanced age, work preoccupied me.

Sorry for the delay; hope no one's been primed to post and missing this space.

Dornole, you are a STC superstar with back-to-back impressive weight losses. I love the write-in-down method of accountability. I need to do something. I am pretty darn active with walking and the core fitness instruction, but doctor's scales don't show any improvement with weight. Maybe if I starting journaling and weighing in regularly I could trim the poundage a bit.

Going to leave the starting post at this for today. Should have more time after today.

Cheers to all,

Superbob

Hey, SB, I know what you mean about work. I'm struggling to balance full-time work with actually having a life, and right now I'm not sure who is winning.

I haven't lost any weight these past couple of weeks, but I believe it is mostly due to fluid retention. Not from any loss of cardiac function, but from fluctuations in dietary sodium. As I noted before, my wife has been out East with our daughter, and I've been doing too much of that restaurant thing. Somehow, after working 9 or 10 hours and then hitting the gym, there isn't time to prepare my dinner - so I go out. Even now. . . no help. I dropped DW at the airport yet again this morning. She is off to MA to meet the kids, load up a van, and drive them all back here for the month of August. At least once they are all here I will have some healthy meals for dinner - probably at a cost, though. I don't expect any calm in the house with two extra adults, a 2-year-old and a 2-month-old around.

Also, our hot and humid weather took a toll on my outdoor activity. Last weekend was spent mostly indoors. Yesterday was a good day, though. Between various opportunities, I walked 6 miles during the course of the day (in addition to any casual walking around the office, house, etc.). Hoping that I can at least stay with it for a few days, until the weather heats up again mid-week.

I'll be around, and I'm stayin' the course!

Good Morning busy coursers! I see that regardless of weather conditions and all around "busyness" all are keeping the course in back of our minds,once again. Go team!!!

I had my echo yesterday and the only thing the nice lady that did it would tell me was that the fluid I had taken off around my heart in December looks fine. She pushed that doppler extra hard around that window scar though and that was about the only pain I had. Test was sent to Billings and will back here with the cardio that flies in to see me and other heart patients Thursday.

My INR was a bit lower last month and I may have figured it out as I have been thinking that drinking black tea iced was not the same as green and doctor google tells me it is the same as green........but...........readings yesterday, 2.1 are ok and will just carry on.

My weight has been on the up side last couple months and have been trying to work the lasix, potassium program to get the swollen ankles down and low and behold awhile ago, I ran out of the large potassium and quit taking both.....swelling has gone down!? and I feel better. Truly hope this is a sign of things to come as this healing process has been a long one.

Dornole I have to express a big congrats! Yes, being held accountable and calories in/calories out are still the answer. Good job!

So Thursday is my cardio day and my weight should be the only biggie. I am over 10 lbs of where they want me but if that is all they can critique I will be happy. Not even going to give it any other thoughts for now and live this third chance at life I have been given!

Our heatwave in the south of England has finally abated. We went to very cold, wet and windy weather the past few days to today which is perfect ! I just did my lower back in, I think when I was cutting our hedge, funny thing is it hurts when I'm sitting down but not when I'm walking around, so doing some gentle walking, except right this minute writing this !

It sounds like everyone's having a good run. I've not gotten much exercise due to the heat index running 110 all last week and the same so far this week. I have been lifting light weights in an effort to gain some upper body strength. Bob's almost done with restoring the sailboat and I need to be prepared for First Mate duty! I hope everyone has a great week.

Good job everyone! I'm a newbie on this thread and hope to check in regularly. Just starting to get back into exercising after a 2 year hiatus while raising my little ones. They will turn 5 and 10 next week, so I am able to have a little more time for exercising. Big birthday party for both of them this Saturday. Hope everyone has a good week! Sounds like you are all doing great.

mom2angel;n878059 said:
Good job everyone! I'm a newbie on this thread and hope to check in regularly. Just starting to get back into exercising after a 2 year hiatus while raising my little ones. They will turn 5 and 10 next week, so I am able to have a little more time for exercising. Big birthday party for both of them this Saturday. Hope everyone has a good week! Sounds like you are all doing great.

mom2angel -- so glad you've checked in to Staying the Course and hope you will return frequently. Wishing you the best in your return to regular exercise -- whether on your own or with a regular class or group. Happy birthdays to your little ones, and let us know how the exercise is going. I am benefitting a lot from my senior fitness class at the local rec center (just back right now from another great session)...sometimes I think about skipping out (and eating doughnuts or something, lol), but then I go and I always feel better for having done so.

Glad to hear our other regular STCers seem to be doing well. Honeybunny, it was sweet of you to thank me for keeping this thread going. It has been a pleasure, really, to see folks participating. I know some weeks will be slow, while in others, a topic will spark interest and lots of responses. Numbers really don't matter -- just that we continue to plug away, staying the course.

Cheers all...

Hi Folks,

Just checking in. Wanted to share a thought with others: be careful what you write, you might just influence others. Honeybunny's post last week contained a pointer to a diet called the DASH diet. It is basically a plant diet. I read that, shared it with my wife, and it lead me to watch a documentary titled: "Forks over Knives", which is about the harms of processed foods and meat. That lead me to decide to try a plant based diet. It has been only a week - too early to see significant results. I'll report back on that later. But, wouldn't be wonderful if one could get off the meds by just changing their what they eat?

For more information see: https://www.forksoverknives.com/
and http://dashdiet.org/default.asp

I just wanted to thank HB for her post and let her know she may be the catalysts to put me on a better course.

Latest posts

Back