Staying the Course -- 06-19-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Just another manic Monday. But not wishin' it was Sunday -- got to keep moving forward -- staying the course.

Enjoyed all the observations last week -- looking forward to more this week. Seems we have an active bunch -- folks who do extensive hiking, even jogging/running, extensive workouts -- all good.

Supposed to combine my DW's birthday feast today with my Father's Day feasting that we mostly deferred yesterday. I'm going to set my sights on some quality protein -- maybe prime rib.

Missed last Thursday's exercise class -- had to take DW to doctor for a problem that's now getting better. So guess I will go in tomorrow and work at getting back in the groove.

Hope all's well.....

Cheers,

Superbob

I'm doing better here, SB. My sinus inflammation is gradually subsiding, and I am back in the gym after work daily. I usually get to walk 2 or 3 miles and then do 2-3 miles on the elliptical each day. I've also gotten back to my morning exercise routine, although at only about 75% of my usual reps so far. I find that when I take a week or so off, I need to gradually get back into it, otherwise I am prone to muscle pulls and strains. At lest by re-starting a regular routine I can stop the de-conditioning.

I'm starting to get really busy at work, with annual inventory, year-end financial statements, auditors, budgets. . . AND we are eagerly awaiting the newest addition to the family. Our daughter is expecting to give birth to son #2 any time now. Lots going on. Hope we can keep it sane.

Saw an online pic of a guy planking and thought of you, SB. I think you're being able to do that is a tremendous accomplishment.

We are being threatened by tropical storm Cindy. It appears to be heading east, but if it goes into Louisiana, Houston will be on the dirty side of the storm. I've lived in my home for 11 years and never had a problem with rising water, but I have flood insurance nontheless. There are areas in Houston that have had feet of flooding three years in a row that never had problems before; all the developers making money without giving a hoot whether their developments will put current homeowners at risk. It is quite a tragedy, IMO.

I said all that to avoid reporting that I have had no weight loss. Frustrating, but that's nothing new. Guess it will take some time before I see any results from my line dancing class.

Glad DW's health issue is improving, SB, and that your sinuses are subsiding, Steve.

Have a great rest of the week y'all!

Weight loss? What's that? I haven't had any in a long time. I've come to accept it, though, as at least I have stopped gaining weight. I'm not sure where mine comes from, as I haven't been retaining fluid (at least not long-term), and really haven't changed my diet. I do know that I haven't been walking as much this year as in the past. It seems that by evening, after dinner, I'm more tired than I used to be, so I stay in. I guess that's what happens when you get to be almost 70. (Sheesh! That sounds OLD.) The AM workout with weights and floor exercises and the after-work trip to the gym maintain my weight, but I don't have time for more. Maybe if I stopped getting up at 4 AM for work I would be able to do more in the evenings. . .

HB - I hope your neighborhood stays dry. I really do. We have lived in the same house for 37 years, and we've had water in our basement 4 or 5 times. It was never much - just an inch or two - but it makes such a mess and is so much work to clean up and fix up afterward. Ours is a fully finished basement, so we had walls, rugs, and furniture to deal with. Just a few years ago we spent some fairly significant money to install a flood-prevention system between our house drainage system and the city's sewer lines. This will keep the storm drains from backing up into our basement when the water level in the storm system is higher than our basement floor. Of course, since we installed the system, the area has not experienced any back-up, so it is untested, but at least we can feel more confident that we are protected. The area does not flood, per se. There are no areas that fill with rain or overflow from rivers, lakes or streams, we just had sewer back-up occasionally when the city's system is overwhelmed.

I also know what it is like to be in a "real" flood. The company where I work occupies a 70,000 square foot factory and office building outside Chicago. Some years ago the entire area flooded and the building had about 14 inches of water throughout. The entire neighborhood was under water. It took almost 2 years to fix all of the damage from that flood. It was truly a mess - something I would not want to repeat.

HB, I echo Steve: I hope you escaped any flooding from TS Cindy. We live about a one mile from a flood zone here, but having seen the effects of 36 inches of rain overnight from the remnants of Hurricane Camille back in '69, I know any place can be a flood zone when one of these monster systems cranks up.

It's been a quiet week here on STC. Four responses as opposed to 16 the previous week. That will happen sometimes. I assume folks are busy staying their respective courses. I know it's been humid enough here to make it hard to gather coherent thoughts. Ellie and I have managed to keep walking though. I am keying this while soaking in sweat from our morning trek. Some delicious news is that a 3 to 4 days break from high humidity is expected the coming week, with levels dropping to "refreshing" along the coast. Refreshing news!

Take care, all!

Had a lighter week with only 15 miles of walking/running. Our new puppy is getting in shape. The week started out hot but has cooled off some. My wife and I have planned a three day weekend of hiking in Sequoia in a month. We'll do several short day hikes and maybe a longer hike one of the days. Probably need to do a few day hikes in the local mountains to get in shape.

Martin

Back