Staying the Course -- 05-22-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Greetings! And so a new week begins. Was great to hear from y'all last week, and. Fred, particularly glad to hear things are better for you. Hope the trend continues.

Keeping up the walking pace despite a spell of unseasonably hottish/humid weather. Supposed to get a break starting tonight with two or three days of off-and-on rainstorms. Right now, I am supposed to take my wife to one of her club meetings at a vineyard tomorrow at precise time my exercise class will be starting. If the wine-tasting/lunch gets rained out, I will go to exercise class as usual. I am kind of hooked on it, honestly, but I suppose wine would not be a bad substitute. So it will be either wine or planks tomorrow.

Let's see -- we have had Bike Week No. 1, and next Bike Week No. 2 starts mid-week and runs through Memorial Day. Praying all will be safe this year. Accidents are always a possibility, and one year we had a spate of shootings. Personally, I think on Memorial Day we ought to be celebrating those who gave their lives defending our country, but Bike Week is pretty well entrenched around here. Maybe it will just wither away gradually. I am not a biker so I don't get it. I go to the beach to walk beside the ocean, breathe deeply, and reflect peacefully -- I don't go to ride a noisy machine up and down the roads that run parallel to the Atlantic. But that's just me. Peace.

Hope you all have a great week and enjoy Memorial Day next Monday. God bless the USA!

Cheers,

Superbob

I had a fabulous weekend. Needed vehicle repairs done on Friday, granddaughter's 9th birthday party on Saturday, and a restful Sunday.

Nothing much else to report except that I am staying the course. Making a better effort to eliminate sugar, which is a big deal for me.

Thanks, SB, for keeping this thread going!

We had a nice weekend - the weather took a break and gave us some sunshine, although it was unseasonably cool. It looks like things will remain cool and rainy here, even into the Memorial Day weekend. Nothing new here. I still remember Memorial Day 1978 (wow, that's a LONG time ago). We were out of town for the weekend and came back on Monday afternoon to SNOW FLURRIES. This year shouldn't be that bad, but for the last few years it hasn't really turned "full summer" until late May or early June. Got some tasks done at home, too -- enough that we plan to play over Memorial Day weekend. Not the weekend to be traveling - too much holiday traffic on the roads. We may go downtown (by train) and just play tourist for a day. Right now, they are predicting that Saturday will be sunny and in the low 70's. Rain again on Sunday, though. I'm sure glad we put in a massive flood prevention system at home a couple of years ago.

Plans are starting to come together for my wife's travel schedule this summer and fall. Our daughter is expecting grandson #2 in late June. Since they live out in MA and we are in IL, mom is planning to spend quite a bit of time with the kids. But then, they are all coming back here for the month of August, then they are all going back East in September, with mom thinking of going out there for part of October. I get tired just thinking about it, as I will still be back here working. Maybe in November and/or December the wife and I can get away for a while. . .

I'm still trying to get my summer exercise/walking program started. The weather just is not consistent enough to be able to plan and execute. Some weeks I can get out after lunch and after dinner to add a few miles to my count for the week. Other weeks it is either too windy/cold or too rainy. At some point it will probably be like the "click" of a switch and it will be summer. I can't wait.

Until then. . . stayin' the course!

I feel like this is the calm before the storm! We leave Thursday for our son's to lend support for our grandson's surgery on Friday. It's not a serious one, tonsils, adenoids, and clipping the tongue membrane, but he just turned three and we expect it to be traumatizing not only for him but for his parents! We return after Memorial Day, regroup, then leave for two and a half weeks on a family vacation. We have volunteered to take our three grandchildren in our vehicle so we'll see how that goes! It's good to hear that everyone that's posted this week seems to be doing well. I hope the same holds true for all who may chime in later. Have a great week!

Busy, busy everyone here! Good to see all the posts and know that traveling, family, and work keeps all on the move. Duffey, I can relate to some of that traveling with the little ones.......we drive a truck and cannot fit those car seats, darn :)

Feeling better and better all the time. I took my hand at the push mower the other day and we are in the middle of painting our house now. I worked about 6 hours today and finally hung my brush and roller up until tomorrow. I keep saying how good it feels and know everyone in my family is tired of hearing it, but last summer was literally hell for me. No energy, sitting around a lot, and nervous about that loose stitch they found on my old valve.

Great to be here among the living once again. Have a great week all and be safe if you are traveling for the holiday.

It's not a serious one, tonsils, adenoids, and clipping the tongue membrane, but he just turned three and we expect it to be traumatizing not only for him but for his parents!

Will be sending positive energy your family's way, Duffey. My oldest (now 42) was 2 when he had tubes put in his ears. I was scared to death but a nurse friend calmed me down. He ended up having the same surgery two more times and his sister had it twice.

Our best thoughts will go with you and your family as you lend support to your grandson in his surgery, Duffey. I know surgery is always stressful, even when "minor," especially when a child's involved. But I hope and pray all will go well....

On another note, Jim, very good to see you here again. Sounds like you're all set up for a good summer. Check in with us when you can.

I hear you, Duffey. It is especially fearsome to think of a child having surgery of any sort, but from what I've seen, they do better than the adults do. They may be just as uncomfortable afterward as an adult would be, but they get over it all very quickly. My grandson broke his elbow when he was only about a year old. He wore a cast for about 8 weeks. It didn't slow him down a bit, and now (about a year later) it is obvious that he doesn't even think about it. Just full speed ahead, all the time.

We are also in that sort of calm before the storm. Our daughter is due to deliver her second son in late June. My wife will be going out there (We're in Illinois, the kids are in Massachusetts.) for an extended time to help, I will go out just for a visit (still working). Then they all come back here for the month of August. Then my wife wants to go back out there for another few weeks in the fall. I get tired just thinking about it.

It is still fifty-something degrees and raining here. Summer seems to stay just out of our reach the past few years. Long cool/cold, rainy, cloudy spring. . . and then one morning it becomes summer. Hope I don't miss summer this year.

Back