Staying the Course -- 05-15-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Hello good friends. Starting another Staying the Course week -- a little late. Took DW to a hearing aid evaluation. Good news: the tech discovered the problem she's been having with one of her hearing aids is due to previous techs at an all-sale, no-service biz completely bungling the set-up. Seems to be working fine now. We didn't get the sales pitch, but when she needs new hearing aids, we will certainly go back to this wonderful young lady who has set up her own business and runs it honestly. Hearing aids cost a lot so I appreciate good service and honesty.

Tomorrow it's my turn in the dentist chair -- to get remnants of shattered crowned tooth taken out and prep work started for a right upper bridge to hold all the crumbling remains together up there. Seems to be my problem spot. Maybe I gnawed on too many baby back ribs over my 3/4 of a century. Don't relish the process but believe this is the best thing to do. Still debating whether to go to exercise class a couple hours before -- think I will, but take things slowly.

Had a few cool days -- but it's warming back up, 80s along the beach, near 90 inland. Ellie and I take our walks when we can -- if I don't have time or it's too hot in the morning, we wait til dusk and temp is dropping. Working out fine...

Ate like a horse past few days -- big Mama's Day at our favorite Italian restaurant, and huge buffet for celebration of son's birthday.

Hope you all are doing well. Look forward to hearing from y'all...

Cheers,

Superbob

Good Morning all and another beauty it is! Not much new in my corner of the world. Just finished reading A Dog's Purpose and was an excellent read. Picked up paint yesterday to paint our house and another load of pavers to start our screened patio-sunroom. I helped load the pavers and call it all cardiac rehab. .

I am back doing salad only lunches and added some cabbage to the mix. Romaine lettuce, cabbage, radishes, fresh mushrooms, and carrots. Make my own low calorie ranch dressing at 30 calories a tablespoon and have couple celery sticks with peanut butter on the side. Just read the new Consumer Reports eating healthy magazine and was glad to see they show a lot of pros and cons but when it comes to weight loss it is always the same......calories in versus calories used. It is good to read about all the foods that are good and necessary for us. About the only thing I have found so far that we really don't need as much of that we eat is sugar in all forms. I am making room in that calorie count for a little sugar and chocolate both!

My weight is only bouncing around about 5 lbs. now and still a bit of swelling but I am down to taking warfarin and some iron now. Yayyy! No more large container of pills on counter.

Good luck at dentist, Superbob. I truly know how you feel as almost my whole mouth is bridged now and wasn't all fun.

Have a good week everyone and let's keep doing what we need to do to stay that course!

Hi, everyone!

SB - I hear you on the dental things. I have been on a first-name basis, talk about family life (hers and ours), having common acquaintances, etc., for a long time. I see my dentist about 4 times a year for routine cleaning and maintenance - especially since my heart issues arose. I think I've helped her take some pretty extravagant vacations, too. I do have to say, though, that conscientious and regular dental care has helped me to avoid some nasty surprises over the years. When I think about some of the issues I used to have, I realize how much better off I am now that I keep up with the care.

Weather here in the Upper Rust Belt is finally thinking about spring. We've had a couple of days of temps in the 70's, and even low 80's, although it is supposed to go back to the 60's this weekend. This is pretty consistent with the past few years when it has stayed cool/cold and rainy until the 3rd or 4th week of May, when it is suddenly summer. All I can say is "I'm ready for summer! Bring it on!"

jwinter - the Consumer Reports thing is interesting. I often dismiss their writings, as they write for the vast consumer base, not for the enthusiast. I often read their reviews of cars, cameras, electronics, etc., and get all annoyed because they feel that cars like the Honda Accord or Odyssey are the best for everyone. They seem to forget that different consumers have different wants and needs. That they are emphasizing the intake versus output of calories is refreshing to me. I've never felt that there were "good" or "bad" calories as some of the fad diet guru's would have us believe.

My weight is up about 2 or 3 pounds from where I want to be, and some of the meds and side effects of other treatments seem to be working against me, but I have confidence. Once I am able to increase my activity level, I think I can shed those couple of pounds and enjoy the summer and fall without weight-stress.

Hope the rest of the gang are doing well, too.

Good posts here. Thanks everybody for sharing.

Surprisingly pleasant ant weather here, too. Today it got up to 90 but the humidity wasn't bad.

I stopped using the the calorie app. Just didn't see where the calorie counting was helping me. I have a good knowledge of what to consume to keep from gaining based on 100+ days of tracking. I'm sure I'll start the process again but it's nice taking a break.

I don't really diet, per se. I do practice informal intake control, though. I try to eat modest portions for my daily meals, and I always try to choose "simple" foods. I'm not focused on any specific regimen, but I stay away from fancy sauces (or any sauces unless cooked at home), elaborate preparations, showy dishes. . . I just try to eat simply. I've also been following a low-fat diet for over 30 years, and low-sodium for over 15 years. Along with "gentle" portion control (my wife says I don't eat enough, but I'm not losing weight), I ask myself "Do I REALLY need to eat this?"

Some people would say that I am depriving myself, missing out on some of life's best experiences, but to tell the truth, I don't miss it. I think that the older we get, the less food our bodies need to maintain health and weight. I'm trying to prove it.

I'm sure I don't exercise an equivalent degree of restraint with eating, but I agree with Steve's observation that we seem to require less food as we age to maintain weight and health. When we eat out, I often box up half of the serving and save it for the next day's meal. Saves money as well as calories. And the thing is, my appetite is satisfied with less food now than in my youth (though my weight stays pretty stable). Anyway, I am not gaining weight. Exercise is helping, too.

Just a quick update: my back issues are much better. We flew to CO 4 days ago to attend my granddaughters graduation. While here I did my second hike since my OHS 10 months ago and 3 months of a pinched L5 nerve.

It wasn't a big hike. We did 4 miles with a 1500 ft elevation gain over the first two miles from 5500 ft to 7000. A good workout for my valve.

I try to post a picture when I get to a desktop.

I'll also report on any weight difference.

Latest posts

Back