Staying the Course -- 05-08-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Kinda a slow week on the course-staying trail last week. That's okay -- we get busy with jobs, life, health, grandkids, kids and on and on. We'll keep posting here so that we're here when you want to chat or vent or whatever.

Came across a great feature in a Men's Journal about about man's best friend. Sure is the case when it comes to getting me moving and out the door every morning despite the stenotic back.

My grouse of the week is about one of my fingers that I do a LOT of keyboarding/typing with; recently, feels like it is out of joint in a weird way. Maybe I turn over in my sleep and put weight on it?; only thing I can think of. Not aware of jamming it. Don't think it happened in exercise class. Could it be onset of carpal tunnel? -- man, I don't need another senior malady!

Beautiful weather -- still fairly cool mornings. Need to get moving with my Junkyard Dawg so I can get back and get some work done. Exercise class tomorrow but have to miss Thursday's to take DW to a DAR luncheon. She can't drive b/c of a stroke and surgery some years ago, so it's only right that I chauffeur her to events dear to her. I told my fitness instructor and she was very sweet about it -- said that the class would miss me-- my "energy and spirit." Since I am now the only male in the class, I suppose my position as class clown is secure. Planning to keep taking it through the summer. Think it is doing me some good. If DW and I do a getaway, think it will be in the fall, as we did last October with pleasant beach sojourn in North Carolina...

Cheers to all and have a great week along your respective courses.

Cheers,
Superbob

Good Morning SB and coursers. Beautiful morning in Montana after a 95 degree weekend. No complaints from me as I seem to have it in my head that I feel cold a lot since starting warfarin(I know this is not proven true but I feel it)

I can relate to that article you read on man's best friend. Works for us girls too :) We got a pup in January (yeah, who gets a pup in January?) and she brings me much joy. She is a beautiful sable Pembroke Corgi by the name of Molly. I have not laughed so much in years it seems. Oh and that getting up, bundling up and out the door when it was -10 degrees really got me up and moving. We are up and out early every morning. We have a privacy fence around our 7 lots in a very small town so she pretty much has it made. Spoiled and loved beyond words.

Nothing big going on here except I got a sinus infection that always goes into one of my teeth. Because of valve and warfarin I went to doctor first this time. He would not give me antibiotic so went second day to my pcp and he wanted to wait another 4 days. I told him to make me an appointment 3 hours away at Billings (they are connected to docs there) and that I would keep going until I found someone to get me an antibiotic. He gave me 4 days worth and said to get to dentist(I already had an appointment there the 5 days away) Two days of pills and tooth settled, dentist told me it was not the tooth which I already knew, and got a week more of penicillin. Here is the rub...........all these appointments to pay for to get 5 dollars worth of antibiotic! Good news is........2 INR draws and my levels are same as before. All is good.

I do have a couple of issues with some info given here on the forum but have decided to just move past it at this time. I just keep telling myself the serenity prayer and use that wisdom in as productive way as I can. I also just see, in hindsight, some humor in it all..

Way to go on your class SB. I love class clowns (am kind of one myself) and need that to keep exercise and workouts something we WANT to do and not something we HAVE to do. Makes it much easier.............to stay the course.

Good morning/afternoon!

Glad to hear there is some good weather out there. Same in the Houston area.

A bit of excitement for me last week. I was rear-ended while driving home. The 34-mile route I take along a two-lane highway is stop-and-go for 5+ miles, and last Monday traffic came to an abrupt stop. Seconds later I felt two impacts, heard tires squealing, and drove to the shoulder where I looked back to see a BIG mess behind me. I was fine physically; turned down a trip to the ER by ambulance. Busted my driver's side rear bumper; didn't look bad but $3500 in damage. Worst outcome was the involvement of a police officer whose car was totaled. When he approached me to see how I was he said his arm was broken and if he hadn't been wearing his seatbelt he'd be dead. I'm awaiting the full police report. I've been driving for 45 years and this is the first accident I have been in. Oh, scrapped up a vehicle or two pulling into tight spaces, but no collisions. Angels watching over me.

Haven't dropped a lb. Still frustrated by water retention. But staying the course.

Have a great week everyone!

The sun is finally shining in southern Missouri, and the days are gorgeous. I hope everyone else is enjoying the same. Our dawg, Yoshi, is anxious to go for as many walks as we we will take him on, and yes, he does motivate me to keep moving. It's good to hear that you're enjoying your class and the class is enjoying you, Superbob. Jwinter, try to maintain your serenity concerning forum matters if you can. I''ve been here since. 2003 and been periodically irritated by various issues, but in retrospect, I don't know why I let myself get so aggravated. But if you are, feel free to speak up. Hank always advocates different views as long as they contribute to the valve replacement discussion. Your participation helps us all. Have a good week!

Sun? Sun? We don't get no stinkin' sun here in the upper Midwest. It was sunny over the weekend, but now we're back in one of those weather cycles where it gets cloudy and stays that way for days and days, sometimes weeks at a time. It is also unseasonably cold, with lows sometimes in the low 30's at night (that's F, not C), and daytime highs only in the low 50's. For the last several years it has remained unusually cold until late May, then suddenly turns summer-like. So, the backyard planting beds remain cold, dreary, bare mud. We've been accumulating the supplies, but it is too cold to put plants out for a while.

jwinter - I've been around here for a while, too, and I just don't let any of the disagreements get to me. I have been a ham radio hobbyist for over 50 years, and we have a saying in the hobby that I apply here. We say "If you don't like what you are hearing, just twist the dial." In other words, if I don't like how a thread is going, I just move on to another. I don't mind that others have differing opinions or feelings, or even if they disagree with a statement I've made. This is still the internet, and one can interpret the "www" to also mean "wild, wild web."

So, I'm just keeping up with the program here. Get up early in the morning, exercise (weights, push-ups, isometrics, etc.), go to work. Try to walk at lunch, but lately it has been too cold, windy and rainy to walk. After work, to the gym for cardio routine, then home. Dinner and down time. Lather, rinse, repeat until the weekend.

Stayin' the course. . .

Someone makes a statement (thesis), someone else disputes it and argues the opposite (antithesis). After debate and possible heated exchanges each incorporates the aspects acceptable from the opponent's position, into their belief-system. The 'middle ground' (the synthesis) becomes the new thesis. And this is why we don't still live in caves. They teach this in school.

People have arguments, but in amongst the theatrics, sometimes there is useful information. If some hypothetical censor comes along and deletes the whole thread, then HOURS of work, that might be helpful to someone, anyone, gets flushed down the toilet. People sometimes get offended... So what? Happens all the time.

Enjoyed all the observations this week. Hectic week for me. Missed exercise class yesterday to take DW to DAR luncheon in Murrells Inlet, Lovely area, nice talk on history -- how faith was so important in our nation's founding.

Not so lovely: Lost a tooth biting into piece of toast the other day -- turned out to be remnants of a very old crown. Bad news: this new hole in my upper bite is next to another extracted tooth I left vacant. I could leave this one too but that would leave one lonely tooth between two gaping holes. Other options : a couple of partial removeable bridges. I decided to take the go-big option a permanent bridge with crowns to make my whole right upper dental side intact again. Okay, it will cost some bills but not as many as I feared. Will require at least 3 sessions in the dentist's chair -- a 2- hour one for starters next Tuesday (after exercise class of course).... so making an effort to keep it all together in old age instead of letting everything fall apart. I think I have made the right decision.

Cheers all....Happy Mother's Day this Sunday to our wonderful ladies... have a great weekend, all....

Latest posts

Back