Staying the Course -- 04-17-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Greetings! Happy Easter Monday, hope all had a fine weekend with lots of fun and happiness.

I don't have anything to pass along at the moment, but just wanted to be sure I opened the weekly thread to comments. Look forward to hearing from all....

Well, I had a most pleasant weekend. We had Friday off for Good Friday but my DW didn't. I took the opportunity to have a leisurely solo breakfast and get some chores done at home, then I took the train downtown to meet DW for lunch at one of our favorite spots. We had the most delicious turkey burgers for lunch. It is a rarity to find turkey burgers, but in downtown Chicago we've found them. After lunch I walked her back to her office and took a walk to visit the one remaining Fine Pen shop in downtown Chicago. I've been a user/collector of antique and modern fountain pens for some decades now, and just wanted to visit the only shop we have left. Funny. . . I can find more pen shops in many smaller cities, but only one within the city limits of Chicago. Such is life.

I'm doing a bit better these last few days -- the lingering intestinal side effects from that "other" medical treatment seem to be resolving more. It sure is good to just feel "normal" again. Just in time for the nicer spring/summer weather. We are finally in the 60's and 70's, and the trees are beginning to bud. Yes, my friends, there WILL be a spring, with summer to follow.

We still cannot even begin to plan summer though. Our daughter is due to deliver our second grandson (we know from tests that it is a boy) in late June, but we can't tell exactly when. We will have to figure out how to scramble out to Massachusetts whenever the call comes in. After that. . . mayhem!

EasterRat - when you said "full frontal" . . . was that the camera angle in a risqué movie? {Just kidding. . . I'll go hide now. . . }

It's great to read that you're feeling so well, EasterRat. Do you mind if I ask the origin of your username? Not only is it unique it is quite topical this week. Spring has sprung in southeast Missouri. Pollen levels are off the chart. We've got the air conditioner running in an attempt to slow our rate of sneezing and hacking, but it is a holding action. I did pretty well controlling my Easter candy consumption, and I hope to get more exercise sessions in this week. Wishing everyone a happy, productive week. Mary

Good to hear from y'all, including the news from EasterR that he's doing well. Congrats!

Steve, your excursions in the Windy City sound delightful. Wondering -- do you ever get out to Wrigley Field to root for the Cubs? Or maybe that is a question best not answered since Duffey and I are St. Louis Cardinals' fanatics. : )

Love the reports of happy Easter weekends! We had a pretty nice one too -- did get to spend some time with the grandkiddies. In fact planning to remodel our house b/c they will be spending some overnights here as we move forward.

Preparing for exercise class, and the return of our regular teacher following her spring break. In her honor will be wearing another cheap t-shirt depicting a slice of pizza and proclaiming it the "real food pyramid" -- with (you know) all the essential ingredients. I think she will enjoy it; she has a great sense of humor (even though she may proceed to make me do extra "planks" or hand me the toughest exercise band as her sub did -- telling me she did so because I am a "manly man." (Ha -- she had a good sense of humor too!)

Cheerio!

Holiday weekend and finished the clean up yesterday getting home back in order. Missed having a few people that are usually in attendance but oh well......life goes on. Too much to eat, an fun little egg hunt, painted wooden tulips for my flower pots, and had good visit with my boys

I have been feeling better and better. I have given up on video exercise for now as I am spending a lot of time outdoors getting my "workout" by doing some landscaping, cleanup, raking, hoeing, etc. Trying to eat as clean as I can also. That little voice in background keeps telling me I just have to stay the course if I want to enjoy life (see first paragraph)

Great to see others posting and talking about exercises and diets. It really helps!

Hey, SB - Yes, we are lifelong Cub fans, BUT we rarely get to a game. It is just far too much congestion, over-crowding, rowdiness, slow trains and buses, no parking for cars. . . all the stuff that just takes the fun out of the outing. The last time I went to a Cubs game must have been around 12 or 13 years ago. It was an evening game that ended at about 9:30 PM (on a work night, no less). We live all of about 5 or 6 miles from Wrigley Field, but it took me from 9:30 PM until after 1:00 AM to get home! I took the bus and train, and the traffic was such gridlock that even the buses couldn't get through. I could have walked just as quickly!

Oh, and yes, the Cubs vs. Cards rivalry is still a "thing." When I was in my 20's, we used to get a carful of friends and drive down to St. Louis in the morning, see the Cubs and Cards play, then drive back home that night. Fun times, but I wouldn't have the energy to do it all in one day now.

Jwinter, that yard work sounds like real exercise! As I'm sure you know, just pace yourself on it while you are still recovering.

Steve, I know what you mean about the ordeal of attending a big-time sports event. When we were living in DC area, we went to some Redskins games. The getting there was tough but enduring the obnoxious behavior of some fans (of Skins or their opponents) was worse. Booze, foul language, near-brawls. I would much rather watch on TV now with benefit of replays and a cold beverage and low-priced munchies .

Cubs/Cards is one of sport's great rivalries. I gather for the most part it is more civil than the pro-football rivalries. And we have the Cubs' Class A farm team here in Myrtle Beach. Reminds me that while the weather is still fairly cool I need to get out and see a few Pelicans' games. Nice little stadium near the beach, easy to get to, laid back, lots of fun things for kids, very family-friendly....

Missed a couple weeks of posts. Just returned from a trip to Singapore and Thailand last week. Had some good food and lots of walking. The plane flight was long and had some swelling of my ankles that went away in a day. It's been a week since returning and just getting over jetlag. Trying to get back into walking daily. I'm signed up for a 5K race a week from Saturday so I hope I'm in shape.

Sounds like spring is arriving around the country. Here in CA the weather is good but will be hot soon.

MartinF;n875526 said:
Sounds like spring is arriving around the country. Here in CA the weather is good but will be hot soon.

Oooooh. . . send us some of that. We are still 10-15 degrees below normal for this time of year. It will probably be like the last couple of years, when it is in the 50's with lots of rain until mid to late May, then suddenly summer comes and it gets hot. I don't mind the hot - I'm happier at 80 than 50 (degrees F, that is).

Whew -- been hot for springtime last few days -- into the 80s. But a front moving through tomorrow should bring us some rain (which we can use!) and push temps back down to 70 max. My Incredible Walking Dawg and I will appreciate that!

Latest posts

Back