Staying the Course -- 04-10-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome to our new week! What will be topic A? -- that is something you good folks usually determine with some great discussions.

It is Spring Break week here, so lots of grandkiddies running around footloose and fancy free. Guess it is up to a septuagenarian like me to try to keep them in rein to some extent. Am helping out with them some 'cause it sure ain't no break week for the young adults.

Might as well say, without going into specifics, that stress has been greater than usual last several months because of a breakup going on within family. No, not DW and I -- we are into year 51 and somehow she still puts up with me. Won't say who, but that stuff affects everybody, wears you down. Sad but I guess it gets to the point of being inevitable. Or not -- what do I know, we are lifers? Anyway....enough of that.

Beautiful weather lately -- highs 70s, lows 50s -- that's well nigh perfect in my book. Walking continues, around 7,000 steps a day. Not overdoing eating too much (except when I do), and looking forward to exercise class tomorrow (though, wow, did she ever kick our butts upon her return to class last Thursday). She did laugh at my t-shirt though ("Fitness? How About 'Fitness" Whole Pizza in My Mouth.") Next I have to find and buy that one I saw the other day depicting a slice of pizza as all the food pyramid you need.

Okay, looking forward to hearing what y'all are up to....

Cheers,

Superbob

Even though it's spring, we've had some summer weather here in London, it was 23C, 73F, over the weekend, but now dropped to more 'normal' temperatures for the time of year, 15C, 60F.

I've been sanding down our conservatory and started painting it over the weekend, but I'm super stressed by the compression fractures in my spine, puts a real damper on everything, having to get DH to do all the bending down work around the house and garden as that's something I'm not supposed to do. This is actually as serious as heart stuff as having these fractures increases morbitidy and mortality risk by a very significant amount, especially considering I've been taking medication for ten years now to prevent this kind of thing. I've cut down on the weights I lift too which saddens me.

Really sorry to hear that those compression fractures are such a drag/damper, paleowoman. Saw last week's post, but wasn't sure how to interpret it. Sure hope there are therapies/treatments to help improve mobility and overall health for you.

SB - I see your situation with mixed emotions, as I'm sure you do, too. The little ones are always a joy (until you're tired out, that is), so full of life and curiosity. They can really be a lot of work, though. We expect my daughter, son-in-law and their two sons to come visit us for a month this summer. I'm looking forward to the fun parts, but not to the mayhem in the house and all that part. I can't imagine how that would go if the group involves a break-up, too, though. Definitely a stressor, for sure.

Anne - I'm so sorry that you are having all the problems with stress fractures. My mother-in-law had many years of those, especially small spinal fractures. She had a couple of procedures that encased weak vertebrae in some sort of plastic cement to keep them from collapsing, but that probably wouldn't be ideal for you, as it greatly reduced her flexibility. This getting old can be a bee eye tee see aitch, can't it?

Funny, Anne, that you mention London weather just now. Only last year at this time we were watching the London weather to know what to pack for our trip out your way. We had great weather for our time there in early May - highs in the low to mid-60's with lows in the 40's (F), and only one afternoon of rain. I would be happy if the Chicago area would get that nice this year. We've had a couple of unseasonably nice days, with many more that were colder than normal with lots of rain. The grass loves it, but I'm not the grass. . .

Hi Steve - I believe the cement in the vertebre to keep them from collapsing can only be done when the fractures are new. I got a copy of the radiologist's report this morning and it says ""Old grade 1 osteoporotic wedge collapse fractures of T10 and T11" - Old, but how old ? In a way this is kind of good, I mean I'm not fracturing right now as I thought and what I was doing re weight lifting etc wasn't apparently having an adverse effect. I'm going to try and get an age of the fractures becasue it's actually pretty important to know. They could have happened years ago before I was diagnosed with osteoprosis, or they could have happened during heart surgery - that is becoming a real cause for thought since the upper body is manipulated so much during surgery and my bones are low density and "high risk of fracture", or, of course, they could have happened last year.

The grass definitley likes the weather here too, even without the rain which we would normall have this time of year. English weather is very changeable !

Hi all. It appears that spring has/is springing some changes. Seems like life goes like that.

I can relate to the breakup in family as I have one also take place a couple weeks ago. It has to be difficult for all directly involved. As for me, being the Mom and Gramma it makes me sad. I admit I know nothing about compression fractures but seems painful and life changing. Sorry to read your pain. It appears weather is doing the same flip flop here as it is in Chicago. I am not the grass either so just got out last Friday and planted some

. I still cannot believe, at my age, we bought these 7 bare lots and are doing all those start up things again. Had hoped 10 years ago to spend the rest of my life living "on the road" and be free of all this. I still plan to be a snowbird though, so will just have to deal with it.

Monthly INR yesterday and it was same as last month so all is good in the heart department. Swelling in left leg continues but worse some days than others. Still hoping it is part of the healing. I could use a little more exercise and less food but what else is new? Oh I did get a book to my Kindle. The Hungry Brain. Maybe it will serve as motivation.........as I stay the course :)

Rough couple weeks here. Both hubs and I had influenza, followed immediately by a ruptured appendix for him! He just got out of the hospital yesterday and will be recovering at home all week. I am BEHIND at work and grant deadlines are NOT NEGOTIABLE. Bit of a stress fest but just need to pull through.

Anne, good point about the fractures occuring during heart surgery. Yes, we are twisted and manipulated a great deal for several hours. No telling what affect that had on your bones. No matter what the cause, I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue. Unlike me, you are a fit and active woman and don't need this altering your routines.

Gosh, dornole....sorry to hear about the family illnesses and disruptions! Hope all is back to normal for you real soon.

SB, my son's live-in girlfriend asked him to move out two weeks ago and he's having a difficult time emotionally. Moving day is Thursday. They've been together 6 years. I understand her side of things (my son is very needy) but am hurting for him. He really needs to be with someone; doesn't do well alone. He'll be 42 in May but I'm still his mom no matter how old he is and am hurting for him. OTOH, my daughter is finally seeing a therapist for her self-esteem and relationship issues (also a needy person) and her consultation and first session went well.

Started back to work this week. Oh, happy day!

Hoping that the stress, both physical and emotional, lessens for both you Superbob and Paleowoman. Dornole, I hope your husband is well on the road to recovery. A burst appendix is a scary health situation to deal with. Jwinter, we're considering our retirement options and it is a point of contention between hubby and myself. He is looking long term, like 30 years down the road, at our retirement annuity while I think he needs to enjoy our life and good heath, now. Knowing that I will probably need another valve replacement colors my view of life I guess.

Dornole it seems sometimes when it rains it pours, Heal well.

Duffey, it really does change your view on life going through heart surgery. My husband may see a long retirement but as for me? Not so sure. Had a friend that passed away a year ago. He wanted a new Harley but his money was all tied up and earning great premiums for his investment that he hated to spend it. He did take some out and bought the Harley but it really bothered him. There is not one chance that will happen to me :) !!!

Best thoughts to all who are facing some tough challenges. Duffey and jwinter, great observations about how heart surgeries and prospect of follow-up ones can affect our thinking about our "golden years." Even in selecting a new dog after the passing of beloved Sadie, I decided to go with a rescued senior dog. A puppy would have been fun but I figured that if the pup lived 15 years. that would put me at 90. Maybe not realistic to count on that; could happen, but there are no guarantees, no warranties. So decided to get Ellie as more or less an equal partner on the course being stayed. I can see how such calculations could be part of retirement spending decisions, too.

Honeybunny, I'm so glad to read
that you're back at work. Yay! Speaking of work, DH and I discussed the retirement issue and reached a compromise we can both live with. Time will tell if it's the right one. Sometimes being an adult really sucks! On that note, I wish everyone all the blessings that Easter brings.

Last edited:
Family breakups, open heart surgery, loss of job, retirement, major illness, and life events are things that cause us to make adjustments in our lives and mumble to ourselves that being an adult does suck at times. Wishing everyone better times with their struggles.

Today, I am off my Wife-away diet and got my first back rub in two weeks. Life can be a roller coaster ride. There are times when we have to hold on tight and times where we can just enjoy the ride.

Enjoy your Sunday.

My Dear Wife (DW) has lovingly fixed Easter baskets for all the grandchildren, and is cooking a huge Easter meal. She is amazing! Sadly, I don't know if a single one of them will be allowed to come over today. Heartbreaking.

As Fred says so well, we have to live with the highs and the lows of life's roller coaster.

Nevertheless, Happy Easter everyone.

Hi

Sorry to read of everyone's family issues.

Smile and enjoy as much as you can, for as long as you aren't visiting graves for your holidays it's all good.

I am often mystified why people choose to allow petty differences in the way of family, when if they fully understood that death will end it all they may allow the children to visit you.

I hope you have as happy a time as you can. I try to do so too.

Superbob;n875450 said:
My Dear Wife (DW) has lovingly fixed Easter baskets for all the grandchildren, and is cooking a huge Easter meal. She is amazing! Sadly, I don't know if a single one of them will be allowed to come over today. Heartbreaking.

As Fred says so well, we have to live with the highs and the lows of life's roller coaster.

Nevertheless, Happy Easter everyone.

Life is a journey. Not always happy.

Latest posts

Back