Staying the Course -- 03-13-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Well, howdy folks. Welcome to another exciting, fun-filled Staying the Course week. While my wife was getting her hair done today, I bought some spiffy New Balance workout shoes for $45 (reg:$70), some workout shorts, and a funny tee that says "Fitness? How About I Fitness Whole Pizza in My Mouth." Will either get me a chuckle from my fitness instructor tomorrow, or severe punishment akin to push-ups in Army basic training. Actually I think she has a good sense of humor. Novelty shirts were on sale for $5 at Penney's. My fav is from Dr. Pepper: "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor."

Got to have a little fun along the course.

I missed last Thursday's class 'cause got a call from my son 5 minutes before class (my family taxi-driving was needed). Expect some kidding about that, but maybe my "fitness" tee will preempt.

An inch of snow 10 or 20 miles from here but approx. 00000000000000001 of an inch, if that, here near the Atlantic. Not boasting -- I do miss the snow sometimes. One day we need to rent a log cabin back in the Blue Ridge where we lived before moving here to the subtropics. I bet Elliedawg would enjoy walking the Blue Ridge Parkway & Appalachian Trail as dear ol' Sadiedawg did.

Looking forward to hearting from y'all about fitness, weather, life in general. I'm getting close to next cardio's visit so I am going to let that be my next weigh-in. My clothes are starting to fit a bit more comfortably so I think I am making a little progress.

Cheers,

Superbob

Don't you just love it when the clothes fit better?! To me that is a far better barometer than that dang scale sometimes! The 5 buck shirts sound like they will pay for themselves with humor. Oh and new shoes....omg I have a thing for shoes. ha ha. Sounds like a good week start and we can share some snow with you. Sick and tired of it here.

My cardio appointment went very well last week. He even said I looked like I had lost weight (key word here is looked as I haven't lost much) I asked about meds and he said I could discontinue everything except the warfarin and iron. My hemoglobin is always low it seems. I don't know how many doctors and tests I have had in the last years and they just cannot find anything. He wanted me to see hematologist but I told him if they could not find it at Mayo I am not interested(at least at this time) Oh and I asked about monthly INR testing and he said monthly or even just a few times a year! How about that? He said some fluctuation in the INR is not as catastrophic as some people think. He is young and has a long list of credentials so I am going with what he said.

Now let's have some sun and melt this snow......Time to live.......and keep staying the course.

How was today's fitness class, Superbob? I hope the instructor chuckled a bit then added a few extra push-ups to spur you on.Good cardio report, jwinter! Not sure of your age, but I also had trouble for many years with low hemoglobin. I never did find an answer but it eventually resolved on its own. As for me, I survived a weekend celebrating our grandson's third birthday at Chuck E Cheese. It was pure bedlam! Diet wise, I really watched what I ate and managed to lose a pound. I'm not feeling very motivated to eat Mediterranean tonight, it entails a lot of meal preparation, but I guess I will stay the course!

I had the beginnings of a roaring cold this morning plus had to drop DW off at a meeting so didn't make it to exercise class -- again. Thursday I have to take her to another meeting, and it would be a long trek to go to class between dropping her off and picking her up, so don't know that I am up to it.The following Tuesday (classes are Tues/Thurs), she has a long-ago scheduled doctor's appointment. None of this is her fault (she can't drive b/c of serious health issues), but I'm just not beginning to conclude I can be a regular at an exercise class. Might do the final 3 of March and think about April. I live a crazy life. Also do a lot of taxi driving for grandkids. Not complaining about this -- just think I will dust off some exercise books I have on fitness after 50 (I am WAY after) and maybe find a fitness video and just make my own class.

Superbob, I know what you mean about all those life happenings that seem to keep us from committing to others. Such is life and I know I would make the same choices as you are.

We stay this course for a lot of different reasons and my family is a big one for me. They all pushed their busy lives and jobs to the side and were there when I needed them. They also have taken me to a NASCAR race in California, concerts and local shows, prospecting, day spa, atv'ing, ball games, Las Vegas, fancy dinners and many other things(they paid for most of it also) I am forgetting. Seeing my Grandson play in the US Babe Ruth tournament and helping them all hauling kids to lessons, practices, etc. make life busy but very gratifying.

I do the exercise videos at home. Better than doing nothing and I find it gives me more energy. Classes are great motivators and work very well for some so I am not against them either.

More power to everyone as we live our lives and work on goals.

Duffey, I have done the Chuck E. Cheese thing and anyone who goes through that deserves the pizza! Crazy place but fun for kids. BTW I am 61 and never growing up. lol

Sorry I've been AWOL, but the first few days of my work week were a real $*hitshow. Somehow the auditors have come to believe that when the corporate tax returns are due March 15th, it is OK to email them to me at 8 PM Sunday evening, the 12th. Mad scramble to review and answer questions about 150 pages of the returns, then get them sent out Certified Mail by the 15th. All this, in addition to my regular "day job." Oh, well. I'm the one who decided to keep working past 65. Silly me. . .

Still keeping on, here. Weight seems stable, within a narrow range - which is fine with me. I'm at a good place to begin the spring and summer activities - meaning that I am close enough to target weight that I feel confident that I will hit my summer target early enough in the summer to enjoy it all.

SB - The only organized fitness classes I ever took were army basic training. Since that time, I've always gone my own way. For the last 8 or 10 years, since I've had to give up running outdoors, I go to a local park district fitness center. Over the years I have migrated from a treadmill, to half treadmill and half stationary bike, to an elliptical. The key here is that there is no class schedule to go to. I simply go when it fits my own schedule, which currently is right after work, 5 days a week. In addition to the afternoon cardio workout, I do weight training at home, before I leave for work. I use 15-pound handbells (not very heavy, as weights go) but do sets of 35 reps per exercise. This allows me to maintain a modicum of muscle definition and strength to go along with the cardio in the afternoon. This way, I am beholden to nobody else's schedule, and the only time I miss a workout session is when I personally "allow" it. Sometimes a special early dinner with my wife supersedes an afternoon workout, or shoveling snow before work consumes my AM exercise time, but in general, it works for me.

Other than that, it is just life as usual. The last two mornings I had to use the snow blower to clear the driveway, but the snow has stopped. I hope this will be winter's last blast of the season. Not that it has been a difficult winter (far from it), just that I am seriously ready for spring and some outdoor time.

Hope all of our East Coasters can dig out with no problems.

Stayin' the Course. . .

Superbob, exercise class can wait; family obligations can't. I hope your cold is better. I had one a few weeks ago, and it was a doozy. We're dealing with a cold snap; looks like the orchards might lose all their early crop of peaches.:( I suppose the good news is we are almost half way through March so Spring is right around the corner.

Hard freeze here tonight too -- could be big losses for peaches and some other crops.

I should have the discipline to do a home or gym exercise program on my own, but at my advanced age, I increasingly find I need someone to tell me what to do. Otherwise, I am too easily distracted. Maybe that makes me a candidate for assisted living, I don't know. : )

OK, SB, I hear you! Your approach sure is more scenic. Mine is more like dealing with a cranky DI. I was just an ordinary platoon sergeant, but I did get to go to the DI school. . .just for grins.

The past two weeks have been busy at work but still getting in 15+ miles of walking and running a week. Would like to get this over 20. Most of the miles are Sat/Sun with a few walks at lunch or the rare break. I see I lost a couple pounds too. Would like to lose 5 more. Weather has been getting hot but rain forecast this week. Can't use weather as an excuse for not working out but it will be too hot to walk at work soon so will need to do it after work. On to next week!

Latest posts

Back