Staying the Course -- 02-14-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duffey;n873426 said:
We just got home from the workout center. I made a pot of minestrone soup early afternoon, so we had that with skillet roasted cauliflower, capers, and pine nuts. Since we started this diet plan, I have eaten a variety of items that I had never tried before. For some reason I thought capers were a type of fish, duh!, so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I like them.!
I only discovered capers last year after getting the Real Meal Revolution cookery book. I and DH love them ! I'm adding them to lots of dishes, especially sautéed (skillet roasted ?) vegetables like cauliflower, peppers, courgettes, aubergine, I don't know why we never discovered them after all these years !

So capers -- I've heard of them, and must have eaten a million of them in my long run on this planet without knowing what I was eating. But Duffey and Paleowoman having piqued my interest, I turned to google, my source of All That I Know these days. The best selection seemed to be a Huffington Post article headlined "What the Hell Are Capers Anyway?" So here is info on eating the essence of little flower buds (pickled no less) and why you might even like the stuff, along with pix of lots of tasty food on which they can be thrown. (If they can help camouflage the taste of salmon, they perform a real public service.) lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_1276491.html

Hmmm, wonder if capers go well with sardines? : )

Oh they'd go very well on salmon SB ! And with fresh sardines, not sure how well with tinned, but try. They come in weeny jars and you just put a teaspoon or two of them in whatever. They're so cute, like mini, mini pitted olives.

Paleowoman;n873456 said:
I only discovered capers last year after getting the Real Meal Revolution cookery book. I and DH love them ! I'm adding them to lots of dishes, especially sautéed (skillet roasted ?) vegetables like cauliflower, peppers, courgettes, aubergine, I don't know why we never discovered them after all these years !

Can you provide a synopsis of what the Real Meal Revolution cook book promotes, Paleowoman? It sounds interesting.
Superbob, good thing I read your Huffington Post link. Now I understand your Facebook post! Who knew that nonpareil not only referred to the small candy I love but also to a size of caper? DH's comment regarding capers was, "They're expensive as hell. Can't we just grow them!"

Duffey;n873480 said:
Can you provide a synopsis of what the Real Meal Revolution cook book promotes, Paleowoman? It sounds interesting.
It's basically high fat/low carb and it's actually for people who need to lose weight. Here's a link which explains it from the website: http://realmealrevolution.com/the-facts I don't need to lose weight but the recipes are so delicious and good for diabetics too that I had to get the book ! Here's some recipes from the book: http://realmealrevolution.com/recipes#cat_16,p1 The book also has some good chapters on the science of this.

DH's comment regarding capers was, "They're expensive as hell. Can't we just grow them!"
Not really expensive as you don't use many of them in a dish. A little jar is about £1 in the UK and will do for several meals. Keep the jar in the fridge.

Back