Staying the Course -- 02-07-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Wait, what? Today is Tuesday already! A thousand and one pardons, guys! This has been a very hectic week for me -- I am a little off course, it seems. Seeking now to right the ship and stay the course! Whatever happened to the concept of retirement being a lazy period of life? Guess that's what I get for not having a golden parachute and needing to keep working. Oh well...

On the course of fitness and nutrition, well, Super Bowl Sunday was a splurge. Our homemade chili was the best ever, and the cornbread was a perfect accompaniment. However, we also had potato chips and dip (and I have no self-control when the chip bags are popped open), and then we had cherry and apple pies. My 10-year-old grandson ate most of the cherry pie himself (otherwise I would have) but I had seconds on the apple....ummm good. And what a Super Bowl game - probably the most exciting ever -- certainly the most remarkable second-half comeback (thank you Mr. Tom Brady & Patriot team)...

Okay, as for fitness course, I had my second senior fitness class today and I am loving it. Lots of lifting, stretching, light jogging -- exercising parts of me that haven't been exercised for years. It is just what I need. The instructor is great and very congenial. She and the other gals are very supportive of me and the other male trying to keep pace. Love the music too --- today some "twist and shout" -- music from my partyboy (uh, college) days. : )

Well, more later. Again apologies for my tardiness. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers,

Superbob

hi bob, well ive lost 2 lb so well pleased, had a small hip op so that's stopping my swimming etc a bit but back on course next week, in England the rugby league season starts this week yyeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Neil congrats on weight loss and Superbob sounds like you are moving back on track, just a little sidelined,lol.. I just KNOW we can all do it if we stay motivated!

Missed my second doc appointment yesterday as we were dumped on with snow again. Now I have to wait until March so my AZ plan is getting pushed back and probably about to come off the table. Time to put those big girl panties on again and just be glad to be taking in air instead of dirt :)

Started some video cardio by putting my laptop on the counter top and using some YouTube. (twist and shout sounds more fun)

Down a pound so off to a start and I am staying the course.......

I'm still here, but have been working through some intestinal "issues." Probably a combination of side effects of GERD meds and after-effects of treatment for another condition. Better today than yesterday, so I hope it is just episodic, not chronic. I felt like I had been inflated like a balloon - badly enough that it was difficult to sleep. Still made it to the gym on weekdays, but had to dial it back a bit. I still find that I sometimes run my heart rate up high enough to trigger the "alarm" in my pacemaker at which point it cuts my heart rate in half, thinking I'm going into afib. The limit is set to 160 BPM, and I pretty much never exercise that high any more, but if it senses even a split-second at that rate, bang, back to 90 BPM. I sure get SOB fast at 90 BPM when I'm still trying to go normal speed. I have emailed my pacemaker clinic, asking if they noted anything unusual in the interrogation that was uploaded on Jan. 27, just in case.

All that noise aside, with the reduction of my symptoms/side effects, I've lost about a pound, so now I am only about 1.5 pounds above my target weight for this time of year. I hope to drop another 2 or 3 pounds once it is nice enough to exercise outside (I like long walks), but that will have to wait for a couple of months.

Glad everyone is keeping things under control. SB - Now that the Super Bowl is history, we will hold you to your plans. No more whole pies for you now. Share. Portion control. Willpower like iron! You can do it. That exercise program sounds like a winner, so enjoy it.

I was starting to worry about your where abouts, Superbob, but it's good to know that you were just super busy!
Superbowl Sunday was also a set back for me. I did pretty well with my food choices until it came to the cake. I hadn't eaten anything sweet in almost three weeks and thought I would be alright in only taking a small piece. Wrong! I ended up eating a small piece and another very large one. The worst part was that I found it very hard on Monday to stick with the sensible eating plan we've been following. Yesterday was better, and when I weighed this morning, I've lost a total of six pounds.
Neil, congratulations on your weight loss, and the start of rugby league season!
jwinter, you're off to a good start! I hope you are able to salvage your plan for AZ. Warm weather sounds lovely!
Steve, best wishes on getting all health issues back on track.
Did anyone else see the news item that journalist Charlie Rose is undergoing his second valve replacement surgery today? Best wishes that it all goes well.

Duffey;n873047 said:
I was starting to worry about your where abouts, Superbob, but it's good to know that you were just super busy!

Did anyone else see the news item that journalist Charlie Rose is undergoing his second valve replacement surgery today? Best wishes that it all goes well.
I

I hadn't seen that about Charlie Rose. Hoping/praying for his surgery to be completely successful and his recovery smooth and complete.

Oh my, same age as me, and had original VR same year as me, 2005. (gulp!) Okay Charlie, we are heart buds (whether you know it or not -- pulling for you buddy)....

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/08/cbs-...heart-surgery/

Hi there Stay the Course Friends! Not to jinx myself but I am doing not too bad on weight loss. : ) I lost 7 pounds since the start of the year, depression symptoms WAY WAY better and I am enjoying life for the most part. Please pray / wish that this continues for me! Happy to share what I am doing if anybody needs a fresh start / boost.

Congrats to all you weight losers! Mine went up a bit, probably due to Super Bowl munchies and the homemade beef stew I made last week. Today my former supervisors wants to take me and two former co-workers to Gringo's mexican restaurant for lunch so I'm looking up the menu and associated calories.

Being home for a week hasn't helped the diet. I get hungry and eat. Good news is that I was called back to work and start again on Monday. Then I can resume my lunch salads.

I'm still here are giving lots of thought about controlling my weight. The bad news is that thinking about it does little for it. Getting to the gym has been somewhat problematic with snow, cold and other home activities. So, this week it's up two pounds with bad excuses. My wife is gone and that often helps since she is the better cook than me. My diet until she returns is left-overs, popcorn, cereal and scotch.

Congrats to all who reported weight losses. I need to lose a couple pounds but I know that my weight is "normal" when I'm working.

Saturday I had a hard hike/run in one of the local canyons, Holy Jim Canyon. The road was closed due to rain so we had a 1.5 mile run to the parking lot, then another mile to the trailhead. Another mile up the trail and I turned around. I know I only have so much energy in me. Ended up with 7 miles in 2 hours. Sunday was a 4 mile walk.

Walking 30 minutes at lunch when the weather permits and sometimes another 30 minutes in the afternoon. Trying to manage my BP.

Last week's INR measurement came in at 1.9, slightly low. Need to test again in 2 weeks. Cardiologist appointment on Monday and should talk about my Echo done after Christmas. They haven't called so I don't expect a problem.

Going to do a weight workout after this post.

Hope everyone can find motivation to exercise regularly and continue with good eating habits. We all need to make this our lifestyle.

Martin

dornole;n873071 said:
Hi there Stay the Course Friends! Not to jinx myself but I am doing not too bad on weight loss. : ) I lost 7 pounds since the start of the year, depression symptoms WAY WAY better and I am enjoying life for the most part. Please pray / wish that this continues for me! Happy to share what I am doing if anybody needs a fresh start / boost.

All this is very good news, dornole! Congrats on the weight loss and it is good to hear much happiness is coming your way!

FredW;n873094 said:
I'm still here are giving lots of thought about controlling my weight. The bad news is that thinking about it does little for it. Getting to the gym has been somewhat problematic with snow, cold and other home activities. So, this week it's up two pounds with bad excuses. My wife is gone and that often helps since she is the better cook than me. My diet until she returns is left-overs, popcorn, cereal and scotch.

Just read the recent replies to this week's thread, and all I can say to Fred's "popcorn, cereal and scotch" is wow! That sounds like my diet forty years ago, but I'm not knocking it. I was much thinner back then.:)
Martin, you are really getting the workouts in. It's been pretty cold here, but the wind is the big issue. We're suppose to have gusts of up to 40 mph today which makes the wind chill number plummet.

Honeybunny, glad you'll be back at work Monday and able to eat those salads. Dornole, congrats on the weight loss and the improvement in mood. That's certainly cause for celebration!

honeybunny;n873077 said:
... Good news is that I was called back to work and start again on Monday. ...

HB, pleased you have work again. Work = money = better-life-than-poor. Now that I'm mostly retired, I'm learning to live 1/4 of what I use to make. I'm also asking myself what did I do with all that money when I worked full time?

Indeed, I think you should write a book, "The Popcorn, Cereal, and Scotch Diet"; probably would be a bestseller, Fred. : )

And HB, great to hear about you getting called back to work! Sounds like you had other options but I trust this is the best one right now.

Latest posts

Back