Staying the Course -- 01-30-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
I love the discussion about the healthiest and tastiest fish to eat! I see it has continued this morning in last week's thread -- by all means, feel free to continue it here if you like. Paleowoman, thanks for the reminder about sardines -- think I will pick up some tins when I head to the grocery store shortly. Steve, as much seafood as I consume, I don't think I've ever had halibut -- will put that on my fish bucket list. As I mentioned, we are lucky my son loves to deep-sea-fish and we get some good fresh fish that way, particularly sea bass lately. He goes on charter fishing expeditions and usually catches dozens, but of course releases most back to the sea because of size or other proper considerations.

So anyway welcome to a new Staying the Course week! Looking forward to whatever avenues we may explore this week.

Our weather has turned a bit colder, with highs in the 40s (cold by South Carolina standards) -- but it is very nice for walking. Ellie and I went extra distance this morning and then she had the vim and vigor to entice me back outside to play ball when we got home.

Thursday is supposed to be the start of the senior fitness class for which I've signed up (age 45 and up, which means I may be 30 years more senior than some exercisers). However, the parks and rec website still shows only 4 signed up so far, with a minimum of 10 needed. Could well be that they haven't updated the site yet, or that folks taking the January class will re-up a day or two before the start. Hope I am not the only decrepit old guy there. lol

Looking forward to hearing from one and all.

Cheers,

Superbob

...Speaking of fish, just came across a Bonefish Grill ad for "Caribbean-Style Wild Mahi-Mahi -- "lean, light, and wood-grilled to perfection." Topped with jumbo shrimp, pineapple salsa, house-made Myer's Rum Sauce, and finished with a pinch of toasted coconut. Sounds scrumptious! And I have a 15% off coupon. Know where we may be eating out soon.

Superbob, good luck to you as you start your new class. Now on that "fish" subject we do enjoy some baked cod with smoked paprika so guess I will see if the stores here have some and add to my diet. That Mahi-Mahi sounds good too. Way to go on the dog walks in cold weather. We had 40 degrees this last weekend and almost broke out the shorts and t-shirts! lol

Saw my cardio last Friday and he said if all tests are good tomorrow (ultrasound, EKG, and chest Xray) he would see me in a year. Coumadin Clinic up to every two weeks now and they said will eventually be every 4 weeks. I am ready for cardiac rehab (finally) and not sure if I will do it here or Arizona. May not go as our insurance premiums have gone to 1800.00 per month now with 6000.00 deductible. Not sure how everyone handles it. May have to go back to work and forget about retiring :(

For now I am glad to just be here and do enjoy all the posts on here helping us all at.....staying the course!

Superbob;n872749 said:
As I mentioned, we are lucky my son loves to deep-sea-fish and we get some good fresh fish that way, particularly sea bass lately. He goes on charter fishing expeditions and usually catches dozens, but of course releases most back to the sea because of size or other proper considerations.
You are so lucky SB ! I and DH love seabass but have not been able to get any fresh caught for a year or more, it's all farmed here and we really don't want that. It's a delicious fish so even if you only get a few from your son enjoy !

You can tell that I live in the rural Midwest by the questions I ask. Here goes: Superbob, what's Bonefish Grill? I will guess a restaurant, but I also thought it might be a fish market. My other thought was that it might be some type of barbeque device!
We've had a good week with our eating regime. I have embraced the Mediterranean diet and bought loads and loads of grains and spices needed to prepare the various recommended dishes. I haven't spent this much time cooking since all the kids left home.
Superbob, I'm sure you'll enjoy your fitness class once it gets started. If nothing else, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you're doing it. The same for you, jwinter. Our insurance didn't pay for cardiac rehab when I had avr twelve years ago. I really think I would have recovered more quickly if I had the benefit of a supervised exercise program.
Neil, I hope you're feeling much better and you're able to get back to your normal exercise routine, soon.
On a completely unrelated topic, has anyone else watched or is watching, The Crown? It's a Netflix original dealing with the life and times of Elizabeth II. I thought that I was well versed in the subject matter, but they've included some events that I was totally unaware of. The 1952 London Big Smoke, for example. Anyway, if you're looking for something to take your mind off the current events of today, you might find the show entertaining. Stay the course!

Duffey, Bonefish Grill is a chain of seafood restaurants. When we lived in the mountains, we went to one that did not impress us, but here near the ocean, the local one is great. (Guess that figures.) They specialize in preparing fish dishes with fancy fixin's. Looks like may not be any near you. Here is a link to locations around the country.

https://www.bonefishgrill.com/locations/all

Thanks for the link to the locations, Superbob. None around here, but maybe when we visit Myrtle Beach next year, we'll try one.
I'm going to write your recommendations down, Steve, and take it with us when we go to St. Louis next week-end. Hopefully I'll be able to find a variety there. We are inundated with catfish down here. They're caught in both the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers along with being farm raised in southern Illinois. There's a catfish farm near hubby's sister's place, and during the winter, the Bald Eagles gorge themselves on the fish.
Paleowoman, my husband loves sardines, but oh, they smell so bad! I read where there was a problem with tapeworms being found in the wild salmon the Japanese eat, but I assume that's because they eat so much of their fish raw?
We tried chickpea cakes for dinner tonight. It was ok. I found them very filling, but I also think they must be high in calories. Guess I'll continue to thumb through the cookbook.

Nice brisk walk after dinner tonight last night. It's a regular course, took 53 minutes, estimate it's 3.3 miles. Need to do this more often but work day with drive is 12 hours so I'm usually beat. Lazy tonight but plan on running tomorrow after work.

I see Cardiac Rehab mentioned. It's more than just exercise. Mine was an hour 3 days a week. Hooked up to monitor the heart. Two 20 minute intervals. I'm a runner so did both on the treadmill. Others did a bike and treadmill. Nurses watch your vitals to make sure you don't exceed the doctors limits. They also took BP. Beginning was some stretching and ended with some weights.

One benefit I didn't take advantage of was their classes on healthy diet! I had a torn valve with no blockages in my arteries so I skipped this. Looking back I should have gone. Some programs make this a requirement. So ask what is available in the rehab program before you decide on it or not.

Since the surgery I've picked up sets of used hand weights from 1 lb to 12 lbs. This is one of my New Years Resolutions that I'm still not getting into, do regular upper body workouts. Wikipedia had a nice description of many of the exercises, link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weight_training_exercises

Thanks to SB and everyone else for the motivation.

Martin

So - do you just pile the sardines on a plate and eat them? Or do you prepare them in some way? I know they are good for you but I have never eaten them. I have been eating more fish, mostly wild salmon and cod.

dornole;n872839 said:
So - do you just pile the sardines on a plate and eat them? Or do you prepare them in some way? I know they are good for you but I have never eaten them. I have been eating more fish, mostly wild salmon and cod.

Dornole, when I eat sardines (and it's not often) it is usually on a cracker. Or if not, just on a plate.

MartinF I had 36 sessions of cardiac rehab and feel that I benefitted greatly from it. Was fortunate that my insurance paid for it. We weren't offered any healthy diet segment, though. Wish we had been.My eating is out of control most of the time.

dornole;n872839 said:
So - do you just pile the sardines on a plate and eat them? Or do you prepare them in some way? I know they are good for you but I have never eaten them.
I have a can of sardines every morning as part of my breakfast - I just open the can on to a small plate, mash them up a bit and eat them (I also have sautéted kale or another veg for breakfast but as a separate course to the sardines). When I have fresh sardines, which are out of this world, I grill them (I think you call that broil in the US) or barbedue them and then eat them on a plate by themselves or with a small squeeze of lemon juice !

Hi everybody! Long time, no post.
This week I stayed the course by going rock climbing... twice! Currently on holiday in Laos and have not really been staying the course at alllll. Street food, beer, and the croissants here are too good to pass up. I have been craving a good workout and/or run however so keen to get a proper routine going when I get back!

Sardines, I haven't really eaten them much as an adult but I do find them delicious, thank you for the reminder I might have to start eating them again.

Wait, wait, Melly -- Laos -- in southeast Asia? Is that the Laos you are visiting? Quickly googled Laos tourism and it looks delightful. Please tell us more if you're so inclined. I doubt that DW and I will ever get there -- just flying to Atlanta or Nashville is an endurance test for us -- but who knows? Anyway, we can dream. Rock climbing -- wow! Croissants -- even better! : )

Paleowoman, I forgot to pick up sardines at the grocery store the other day, but I am going to do so on my Super Bowl stock-up trip. My lunching and snacking could use a nutritious upgrade. I remember from a while ago you could buy them packed in a variety of sauces -- mustard for example. Do you have suggestions on that? Really appreciate you bringing this option to our attention.

Just re-read -- I gather sometimes you get your sardines in a can (as I've always done) but sometimes have them fresh. Don't think I've seen them in our fish markets but maybe I've just overlooked them (since we have quite an abundance of seafood). I will explore further, and meantime sample the canned variety.

Off the course just a bit . . . I think we're two weeks from the start of Spring Training. For the Redbird fans among us (avert your eyes, Steve), it looks Carlos Martinez is about to sign a five year contract with the organization. Yes!

Duffey;n872866 said:
Off the course just a bit . . . I think we're two weeks from the start of Spring Training. For the Redbird fans among us (avert your eyes, Steve), it looks Carlos Martinez is about to sign a five year contract with the organization. Yes!

Sign Tsunami long-term -- great move, Redbirds! What a superkid Carlos Martinez is -- not only a superb pitcher but leads the dugout celebrations whenever a teammate hits a home run. And takes care of his family back in the Dominican Republic. Here is a little vignette, if any are interested (even Cubs' fans?)....

https://carlosmartineztsunami.mlblogs.com/how-this-tsunami-got-started-97839c29209e#.i6gwx6t2u

Laos in SE Asia it is! Absolutely beautiful here, I love mountainous terrain, it's so green, and not too hot right now (it was hotter back in Queensland). Fortunately the tourism trade here has been cleaned up in the past decade after gaining a bad rep for wild, unchecked partying. I have found it to be as laid back as you want or as active as you want - kayaking, caving, trekking etc. The food is good - fresh and unprocessed. If I could eat this cheaply all the time I would be in trouble though!

Finally checked in with ya'll on here because being on holidays I finally have a bit more time on my hands. I don't want to go home to reality!

Superbob;n872865 said:
Paleowoman, I forgot to pick up sardines at the grocery store the other day, but I am going to do so on my Super Bowl stock-up trip. My lunching and snacking could use a nutritious upgrade. I remember from a while ago you could buy them packed in a variety of sauces -- mustard for example. Do you have suggestions on that? Really appreciate you bringing this option to our attention.

Just re-read -- I gather sometimes you get your sardines in a can (as I've always done) but sometimes have them fresh. Don't think I've seen them in our fish markets but maybe I've just overlooked them (since we have quite an abundance of seafood). I will explore further, and meantime sample the canned variety.
Hi SB - I get them canned in water myself, though I know they do them in brine and in various oils and also tomato. The fresh sardines are not easy to obtain in the UK, but in France, near the Mediterranean, and almost certainly all round the Med, they are easily bought and very, very cheap, both at street markets and at supermarkets. The fresh ones need to be gutted, which with little fish, takes a while, but difinitely worth the bit of work. The fresh have a very superior flavour and texture compared to the canned, but both are highly nutritious. Hope you find some fresh ones at your fish market !

Hello all!

Right now I am staying the course with my employment situation. Yesterday I was put on a 90-day convenience leave because I have no billable work. This is not a direct layoff because if they find work for me they will bring me back on board without going through the hiring process again. Meanwhile I can collect unemployment (at half my salary) and pay the current premiums to keep my benefits. I'm not hopeful something will manifest with my employer and am seeking other employment.

I've been down this road many times and know the ropes. I've already had three people ask for my resume. I need to stay the course with dieting as well so I look my best when going on interviews.

I've really enjoyed this thread the last two weeks. It's great to see all the discussions. And you wanted to give it up not long ago, SB!

Checking back in. . . where have I been? Oh, well, life has its way of getting into things.

Anne - Sardines? My sister used to love them. I thought they smelled like cat food. Not for me. Most fish, I love. Not that one.

Now catfish? I like mine char-grilled with only simple seasoning. I prefer them grilled, not fried. (I rarely eat anything fried.)

SB - Bonefish Grill? One of our favorites for many years. We have two of their locations within about 15 minutes of our house. Definitely a big step up from Red Lobster, yet not as pricey as McCormick & Schmick's. I find it a pain that although Chicago has quite a number of really up-market seafood restaurants, and many Red Lobster and Long John Silver's locations, the middle market is very small. We do have Bob Chinn's, a local single-location fish house that claims to sell more crab than any other restaurant in the country, but many of their dishes are seasoned with something that doesn't agree with my innards.

Now if we are on the East coast, we really like Legal Seafood. They have locations in Massachusetts and D.C., and probably other places. If we're near one, we go there before even thinking of anywhere else.

MMmmmmm. . . FISH!

Back