Staying the Course -- 01-23-2017

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duffey - I can see that if one is on a very medically restricted diet, tilapia may not be the best fish choice, due to the cholesterol, etc. In an average diet, though, it is probably better than that cheeseburger, in general. As SB noted, though, I'd recommend it only in moderation, like once every couple of weeks or so.

Other fish you've mentioned - We don't really care for cod. That is too bland. Halibut, on the other hand, is among our favorites. We prefer the halibut filet, not halibut steaks. The halibut steaks are cut from much larger fish, and the meat is sometimes tough and chewy. Halibut filet, though, has more the texture of salmon but is even less fishy than salmon.

If you like salmon, look for Arctic Char. This fish has the same pink color as salmon, but if much lighter in texture and flavor, almost "fluffy." It is seasonal - I think it is caught in the fall, but would have to look it up. We find this at either the local Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) or at a specialty fish market downtown.

Of course, if it was warmer out so that we could grill our fish, I absolutely love catfish! Butt ugly boogers, but so very tasty.

I had to look up talapia as I’'ve never seen it in the UK. The reason it’'s high in omega-6 is because it’'s farm raised. Farm raised fish are fed on grains that they would never, ever encounter in the wild, in fact fish never eat grains in their natural state. I would never touch a farm raised fish - even “organically” reared fish like some salmon and seabass are fed grains, not what they should eat at all. Plus they are kept in overcrowded conditions and eat each other faeces.

The only way to be sure that a fish is high in omega-3, which is what they should be, is to buy wild fish. Wild Alaskan salmon for example. Or sardines - sardines are not farm raised as there are huge numbers of them in the seas, they are also low on the fish food chain so don’'t accumulate toxins from the sea, plus they are extremely nutritious, even the canned ones. If you can buy fish that is line caught in the sea or river you are on pretty safe and healthful grounds.

I eat a can of sardines every morning as part of my breakfast, high in omega-3, and the kind with bones which gives a lot of natural calcium as well. And once a week we have other fish for supper which is always wild - it’'s expensive yes, though not the sardines, they are excellent value :)

Last edited:
Agian;n872771 said:
What do you mean by farm-raised fish? They don't grow fish on farms, do they?
Yes people raise/rear some species of fish on fish farms - at least that's what they're called mostly in the world, but maybe not in Australia ? Here's an extensive wiki article about fish farming: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_farming And here's one about fish farming in Australia which appears to be called aquaculture in Aussi speak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture_in_Australia

PS - there may be another relply posted from me as I wrote a longer reply which apparently was took off to be "moderated" ?!?!

Paleowoman;n872777 said:
PS - there may be another relply posted from me as I wrote a longer reply which apparently was took off to be "moderated" ?!?!
A cyber petty bureaucrat. I love it!
The power must be exhilarating lmao

Paleowoman;n872777 said:
Yes people raise/rear some species of fish on fish farms - at least that's what they're called mostly in the world, but maybe not in Australia ? Here's an extensive wiki article about fish farming: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_farming And here's one about fish farming in Australia which appears to be called aquaculture in Aussi speak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture_in_Australia

I had trouble getting my reply posted, kept telling me I didn't have permission to post, but I logged off the site and came back and had no trouble. I think the system was acting up since I was on the same time as you.

Gee, Anne, here I thought they were actually planting fish in the dirt and growing them there. . .

Actually, I can think of two different situations where fish are farmed. The first is the fish hatchery. In these facilities, adult fish are allowed to spawn and their young are raised to the point at which they are large enough to avoid being eaten by other fish. They are then released into the wild, to grow, spawn and maybe be caught by commercial or amateur fishermen.

The second farming situation is where the fish are hatched and kept in captive tanks or ponds until adulthood. They are then harvested and sold to commercial fisheries for the wholesale and retail markets.

In Chicago it is getting more and more difficult to find wild-caught fish. Many grocery stores sell fish but very few sell the more premium-priced wild-caught varieties. Also, we have lost most of our neighborhood fish markets. The owners have retired. Too often, in the major cities, there are fewer and fewer people who actually cook whole meals any more. Many people are so rushed that they stumble through life bringing dinner home from the prepared food bar at the local Whole Foods (upmarket grocery store) and just heating it up.

Sorry if there have been problems posting... Let me just say, I am just a volunteer guy who tries to keep Staying the Course going -- I am not any kind of official "moderator." Certainly I do not try to redirect posts or anything like that. Could be there have been some system problems, as Duffey notes.

epstns;n872816 said:
Actually, I can think of two different situations where fish are farmed. The first is the fish hatchery. In these facilities, adult fish are allowed to spawn and their young are raised to the point at which they are large enough to avoid being eaten by other fish. They are then released into the wild, to grow, spawn and maybe be caught by commercial or amateur fishermen.

The second farming situation is where the fish are hatched and kept in captive tanks or ponds until adulthood. They are then harvested and sold to commercial fisheries for the wholesale and retail markets.
Yes, that's what I understood from the Wikipedia article. In the UK we can get 'wild' fish from some supermarkets and online from suppliers who also sell 'wild' meat like partridge and venison and rabbit, and pastrure/organically reared cattle/poultry. And, of course, there's sardines and pilchards, and sprats if we're lucky, which are always wild and cheap and easily available in supermarkets. In France there's a lot of 'wild' fish near the coasts - all very pricey though ! I think the USA has a lot of wild fish near the coasts - judging this from a wonderful Star Trek' cookery book I have which has a lot of very interesting recipes.

Superbob;n872831 said:
Sorry if there have been problems posting... Let me just say, I am just a volunteer guy who tries to keep Staying the Course going -- I am not any kind of official "moderator." Certainly I do not try to redirect posts or anything like that. Could be there have been some system problems, as Duffey notes.

No one was implying you Bob. There is a guy floating around called 'Super Moderator' who has already censored posts.
i did a Whois search. Hank is no longer listed as this site's owner. Could be he is registered anonymously. Just putting it out there.

Agian;n872836 said:
i did a Whois search. Hank is no longer listed as this site's owner.

not when I did a whois search
Code:
Domain Name:VALVEREPLACEMENT.ORG
Domain ID: D72613465-LROR
Creation Date: 2001-06-13T20:53:46Z
Updated Date: 2015-06-07T15:43:05Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2016-06-13T20:53:46Z
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, LLC (R91-LROR)
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL:
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited -- http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited -- http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited -- http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited -- http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant ID:CR41831471
Registrant Name:Hank *****
Registrant Organization:ValveReplacement.org

curiously however GoDaddy (the sponsor) appears to be a different organisation and Hank's name does not appear within there.

BTW, this is not "hacking" this is publicly available data (by law).

Could be an out-of-date entry, but I also understand why Hank might not want his personal details public.
So, who is Super Moderator? The plot thickens...

Back