Staying the Course -- 07-26-2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Howdy, and how hot is it on the course you're staying? I heard the other day that it was 90 degrees in every state except Washington (state). However, though it reached 90 in Myrtle Beach yesterday, that was 10 degrees cooler than Washington, D.C. Having worked there for several years just after the turn of the 21st Century, I can imagine just how very miserable it was there.

Tomorrow, we drive up to the Carolina to the north for a pre-surgery consultation with the eye surgeon. I'm told the appointment could last as long as three hours. Trying to decide whether to make the two hour drive back afterwards or spend the night and try to relax a little. Surgery probably will be scheduled for mid-August. Will have to figure out logistics for that. We are going that far up the road because my eye doc, who is great, says the lady surgeon up there is absolutely superior to any here on the Redneck Riviera -- and who would want less than the best at doing this procedure?

Ellie and I are toughing out the hot/humid walks the best we can -- but we've actually managed two-a-days the past two days.

Working on where to do a week's getaway for our 50th wedding anniversary a few months from now. May actually be North Carolina again, and oceanside. I know, having a beach nearby and going to another sounds goofy -- but we know a nice villa, well-stocked, -- and importantly it's not a long exhausting drive. Daughter from Tennessee will share with us, and we will celebrate her birthday as well. And though school will be in session, it's close enough for son and kids from back home to visit too without kids missing class time.

Okay, stay as cool as you can, guys. Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Superbob

Hi BB,
You sent the heat up here in western PA. We are seeing low 90s with humidity. Of course I'm still trapped in the OHS ward, but my wife tells me that she is running the air conditions still at 6am, which is unusual for our place two hours north of Pittsburg.

I have a question for you, or others, on the forum. A Frieda of ours has a house in North Topsail beach in NC. We were planning to spend a week from Sept 11 to 19. That will be about 7-8 weeks out of OHS. What do you think of us still going to the beach so soon after surgery?

SB, your upcoming vacation for your 50th sounds great. A fun thing to plan! And for your eye surgery, I'd do the same, seek out the best.

Temps. Argh! I moved to DFW from upper midwest. Highs expected at 95-100 for the foreseeable future.

FredW;n866680 said:
Hi BB,
You sent the heat up here in western PA. We are seeing low 90s with humidity. Of course I'm still trapped in the OHS ward, but my wife tells me that she is running the air conditions still at 6am, which is unusual for our place two hours north of Pittsburg.

I have a question for you, or others, on the forum. A Frieda of ours has a house in North Topsail beach in NC. We were planning to spend a week from Sept 11 to 19. That will be about 7-8 weeks out of OHS. What do you think of us still going to the beach so soon after surgery?

Fred, first and foremost, as I'm sure you will, ask your cardio's and/or surgeon's advice. My own layman's view would be, sure, as long as someone else is driving, and you will be relaxing, watching the ocean waves, etc., not swimming (I believe the healing may not have progressed far enough for that). But my non-expert opinion is that lots of relaxing and some good seafood would be a nice getaway for you, and well deserved.

(Probably a good idea to avoid too much direct sun exposure also -- but that's true for all beach-goers.)

Fred - If you feel up to it, I say "go for it." I was released to go back to work and driving a car at 5 weeks, so I can't imagine how a week at the beach would present any problems - providing that you are having a "normal" recovery without complications.

As others have said, it may be too soon for swimming (ask your doctor), and do keep those new scars out of the sunlight. Enjoy the vacation. I wish we still had some time off for another vacation this year.

I vote for staying over and resting after your appointment, SB.

I agree with the others, Fred. Verify it's a can-do with your cardio then go enjoy!

I'm going on a cruise with my daughter in September. Looking forward to it because my vacation last year was OHS recovery. I get 15 days (120 hours)) of paid-time off each year and had to use all I had left in 2015 before I could go on short term disability. This year I use 3 hrs/week for 3 months taking off early for cardiac rehab. I earn 2.33 hours/week. So it's taking me some time to accumulate the vacation hours I need for the cruise. Fortunately I work M-Th 10 hours/day with Fridays off, which is like having 52 extra days/year to take care of most personal business. UNfortunately, the rehab center accepted only pulmonary patients on Fridays and closed at 5 p.m.

Houston, Texas heat is normal for this time of year.

Latest posts

Back