2 Years with my St. Jude Mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodger Fan

I feel pretty "normal". Things are going well. I am used to AC therapy. I am grateful that I get a chance to see my kids grow up. Thanks to everyone who shares information on this board, since people in the real world don't seem to have ever heard of bicuspid aortic valves. Thanks to Pellicle for sharing his warfarin experience.

FYI - incorporating a rubber band in to home testing has helped my to almost never waste strips. Check out Pellicle's YouTube video. Also, I never test with my left hand because I am so right handed that I always miss the spot where the drop goes on the strip.

I've slowly run about 600 miles since surgery. I do "light" mountain bike riding and I have ridden all of the roller coasters at Knott's Berry Farm. I have yet to go to Six Flags.

If I can answer questions about pacemakers or warfarin, I will.

Congratulations on your anniversary! I went with a tissue valve in 2015 but I've since read more personal stories, like yours, that have made me less concerned about INR self-testing. Thanks for sharing~

Hey, DF,

I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you. Your experience will help other new folks to realize that anticoagulation therapy can be such a small bother that it shouldn't really be a major decision factor in valve choice. Your coming back to relate this is part of the value of our forum.

Also, thanks for relating the fact that in "spite" of having the mech valve, anticoagulation AND a pacemaker, you continue to "just get on with life."

The more we can affirm this to folks getting ready for valve replacement, the more we help them realize that the replacement is not the end of their life as they know it. Replacement is more like a re-boot to our lives.

Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the two year mark. I agree that sharing experiences are a good thing. I recall when I was just starting out on the 'adventure' of having to plan for my valve replacement how such information and support was invaluable. Your story is similar to mine, I'm just further down the road than you. Thanks for sharing and being there for others.

Latest posts

Back