10 years today I lost my sternum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg a

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
May 8, 2007 enter hospital short of breath and have an angiogram that shows numerous blockages

May 11 open heart surgery lasting 7 hours and comprising of five bypasses and one valve ring support

May 11 -25 Life support as the Dr's cant awake me and they tell my family that they don't know if i'll ever come out of it

May 26 fourteen days after surgery I wake up

Still unaware of my situation i am weaned from all of my IV's

I am moved to a recovery floor where a groin infection plagues me

I am then moved to a rehab floor where upon complaining about a sore lower back a surgeon removes a cyst

June 13 my original surgeon looks at my incision and he sticks a finger in it up to his knuckle and then informs me that he is going to have to tiighten a wire holding part of my breast bone in place and so..............

June 16 i am back in surgery to tighten the wires holding my sternum and ribs in tact

I was home in July but dropped in our drive in August

Gee since then i was back in hospital with a massive infection and that resulted in them removing my sternum/breastbone in August again i was out of it (coma) for 14 days and the family was all gathered but i pulled through and was finally out of hospital mid october

I am still off work (don't know if I even have a job) but it is GREAT to be alive

I was implanted with an ICD pace/defib in July of 2008 and am part of a study from the Ottawa Heart institute ( RAFT study) I attended a Cardiac rehab exercise pgm and continue at a a diabetic clinic on a regular basis as well as quarterly visits to a Heart function clinic and cardiac implant clinic ...I was at a Renal clinic today ...our health care system really works when you need it here in Ontario.

Greg

thanks for your post. I'm sorry to read of your situation but pleased to read that you're happy to be alive.

I was more than a bit concerned about joining you a while back, but it seems that as long as I remain on the oral antibiotics (its been 5 years now) I'll probably avoid following you down that path.

My hat is off to you for your post and your valor facing such things.

Best Wishes

Hello again, old friend! It has been quite a while since you've been around, and it sounds like it hasn't been an easy road for you, but also much of that is in the past. If you have a moment, we'd like to hear how the recent years have gone for you. I do remember your early issues well, as I was still in The Waiting Room through all that time. I do hope things have smoothed out for you, and would welcome your presence around here once more.

Nice to hear from you Greg. You are an inspiration and I admire your positive attitude despite all your health challenges. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you everyone LIFE REALLY IS GOOD a few restrictions and things no one could predict as an example every cold brings s resurrection of my sternum compression shirt to try to help keep my rib cage stable ,,,,, took me a while to find such an animal just had to think outside the box http://www.mcdavidusa.com/hextm-sternum-shirt

we have a web page now and a facebook page

there has been so much progress world wide and while I lost my sternum in 2007 today they would pop a 3d one in
https://www.cnet.com/news/cancer-patient-receives-3d-printed-sternum-ribs/

Back