Two years!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TitanEddie

Two year valversary today! Was supposed to skydive with my kids but the weather didn't cooperate. Two years ago today at 50 years old I walked into a hospital and put my life in the hands of a total stranger. Luckily those were some gifted hands!.
My surgeon told me without surgery I had maybe a year and a half left so now that it has been two years I am getting to experience things I never would have without surgery, on bonus time if you will!
Still do all I did before and a good bit more, still can hang with the 30 somethings on the softball fields and even try to do mud runs when I can. Life is Good!
For those waiting take heart, there is a lot of good stuff on the other side.
For those that have been around a while and helped me get through this, thank you so much, doubt I would have kept my sanity without you.

Congratulations mate. That's so good to hear. I'm in the "waiting room", booked in for October 19. As a 40yo it's very daunting but positive posts like this are just what people like myself need to hear.
I was told I'd need surgery within the next 3 years so thought I'd get on the front foot now and get it done before it only gets worse.
Did you get a mechanical valve? If so, how are you finding controlling your INR?
Congrats again & great post.

TitanEddie;n877377 said:
Two year valversary today! Was supposed to skydive with my kids but the weather didn't cooperate.

Congratulations on the two years and, wow, jumping outa an airplane takes more bal.......uh, guts than surgery. Thanks for proving the point that we do whatever turns us on......after OHS.

It is great to hear that you're doing so well, Eddie. We always appreciate it, too, when the experienced folks come back to celebrate their accomplishments and anniversaries with us. It helps all the new folks to know that so many of us just get back to our regular lives.

As for jumping . . . I once asked a pilot friend of mine "Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good aircraft?" His reply? He said "There's no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft. Every one of them has some imperfection. You just hope yours isn't a critical one." Sort of sobering. I've ridden in single-engine planes (including aerobatics) and military choppers, but I don't think you could ever convince me to jump. Congrats on even planning it!

mick1807;n877378 said:
Congratulations mate. That's so good to hear. I'm in the "waiting room", booked in for October 19. As a 40yo it's very daunting but positive posts like this are just what people like myself need to hear.
I was told I'd need surgery within the next 3 years so thought I'd get on the front foot now and get it done before it only gets worse.
Did you get a mechanical valve? If so, how are you finding controlling your INR?
Congrats again & great post.

No, I opted for a tissue valve, bovine to be exact.

TitanEddie;n877377 said:
Two year valversary today! Was supposed to skydive with my kids but the weather didn't cooperate. Two years ago today at 50 years old I walked into a hospital and put my life in the hands of a total stranger. Luckily those were some gifted hands!.
My surgeon told me without surgery I had maybe a year and a half left so now that it has been two years I am getting to experience things I never would have without surgery, on bonus time if you will!
Still do all I did before and a good bit more, still can hang with the 30 somethings on the softball fields and even try to do mud runs when I can. Life is Good!
For those waiting take heart, there is a lot of good stuff on the other side.
For those that have been around a while and helped me get through this, thank you so much, doubt I would have kept my sanity without you.

Great post and congratulations on your second year!

That good stuff on the other side is what it is all about.

Back