6 year anniversary tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklump

Tomorrow is my sixth anniversary of my aortic valve replacement. Everything is going great. For people in the waiting room, it doesn't take all that long until you will not think about it every day.

Last summer I did develop Afib, probably do to intense stress I was under at the time. 3 medicine changes, 4 Cardioversions, and an Ablation later, I have been in rhythm for 3 months. I am on Amiodaron which is a powerful rhythm drug. Cardio is going to take me off it in a couple of weeks because it does have some bad side effects. Praying I stay in rhythm. I take Xaralto for the blood thinner. They say I will take a blood thinner for life. I am getting samples presently, but when I have to pay for it I will probably go to warfin. Afib is interesting, I didn't even know I had it and I found out it is VERY common.

It's nice to visit the forum again. I have been away for a while ,simply because I don't think about the operation anymore.

"Afib is interesting, I didn't even know I had it and I found out it is VERY common." How did you find out and what were the symtoms?

Thanks - Juli

I really had no symptoms. I had my annual echo and the cardio said " my, you have a lot of extra heart beats! Lets do an EKG". My heart rate was 160 and I felt nothing. As I look back, I think my stamina was not what it should have been, but it was very, very gradual. As I mentioned, I was shocked 4 times before I stayed in rhythm. I have been told that many people suffer from symptoms of Afib, but I was lucky I guess.

jklump;n873978 said:
I really had no symptoms. I had my annual echo and the cardio said " my, you have a lot of extra heart beats! Lets do an EKG". My heart rate was 160 and I felt nothing. As I look back, I think my stamina was not what it should have been, but it was very, very gradual. As I mentioned, I was shocked 4 times before I stayed in rhythm. I have been told that many people suffer from symptoms of Afib, but I was lucky I guess.

Thanks - I am wearing a FitBit - but I am not so convinced that it would pick up Afib events at all. At least I have a good idea what my heart rate is - lately it is often times below 60 and I feel my valve (it is a mechanical). Have no problems though with any activity. Glad you shared your experience - something that we all with an artficial valve need to pay attention to.

jklump;n873972 said:
Tomorrow is my sixth anniversary of my aortic valve replacement
It's nice to visit the forum again. I have been away for a while ,simply because I don't think about the operation anymore.
Congratulations

And on your last point I think it's a good sign

Best Wishes

Back