45 years and still clicking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John & Joann

Joann celebrates her 45th anniversary of 2 mechanical heart valves. Yes, there have been many high spots, and a few days that were a challenge. This year Joann faced several significant issues. She had a false positive reading for colon cancer. Cleveland Clinic performed at virtual colonoscopy that showed she did not have any DNA cancer cells. She became dehydrated and required a few days of hospitalization to add fluid to the system. A few weeks later they discovered that her battery on the pacemaker was going South quickly. A new pacemaker was installed at the Clinic. 1 week later, she developed a hematoma (bleeding) and the incision broke open. 5 days in the hospital, a 2 hour surgery and the bleeding was stopped. 24 hrs. later at home, Joann fell back and hit the corner of a wall. 10 staples, 4 fractured vertebra, and a broken rib required 9 days in hospital and another 9 days in rehab. She has had visiting nurse, nurse aid, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist (small motor skills) meals for 1 month, and a cleaning lady twice a month that we had employed several years ago. She is on oxygen most of the time. The oxygen level is normal when she is quiet, but drops quickly with activity. She is on large amount of diuretic to remove fluids.

​The doctors have all said that she is a fighter and determined to live a normal life. We are not going to Florida this winter, but instead will concentrate on her recuperation. She has only left the house once to visit the doctor. All other activities are in our home.

​We both continue to pray for strength, great medical care, and the emotional efforts to return to her normal lifestyle. Please do not take this message negative. We both give thanks for the many years of quality life, look forward to our first great grandchild, and plan to enjoy life again in the near future.

​Joann has had 45 years of quality life. Without the 1971 surgery, her life would have ended quickly. We celebrate the help that she has received from many, many people. Merry Christmas to everyone.

​John writing for Joann

Merry Christmas and blessings to you both. I'm glad Joann is getting the care she needs. I don't see your post as negative. It gives us hope! 45 years and counting. That's a blessing. Thank you for the post.

Wow is all I can say. Those years have truly been a blessing! Those bumps in the road we all have to endure but what a testament your lives have been. Congrats and may the days ahead get better.
PS: This is our first year in 9 that we are not in AZ for winter so I truly know how that feels. Low here on Friday is to be in the -20's so guess I will stay in.

John & Joann;n871013 said:
​Joann has had 45 years of quality life. Without the 1971 surgery, her life would have ended quickly. We celebrate the help that she has received from many, many people. Merry Christmas to everyone.

​John writing for Joann

....and a Merry Christmas to you and Joann. She is a mighty strong lady.

John

John & Joann;n871013 said:
​The doctors have all said that she is a fighter and determined to live a normal life. We are not going to Florida this winter, but instead will concentrate on her recuperation. She has only left the house once to visit the doctor. All other activities are in our home.

​We both continue to pray for strength, great medical care, and the emotional efforts to return to her normal lifestyle. Please do not take this message negative. We both give thanks for the many years of quality life, look forward to our first great grandchild, and plan to enjoy life again in the near future.

wishing you both strength and hope.

You will both be on my mind in the coming days.

Best Wishes

To both John and JoAnn,

You both have been such an inspiration to me over the years. When I first came here, you were just past 30 years, I think. You both have weathered so many serious storms and yet here you are, calmly sailing into the future. May your future together (and here with us) be a long and wonderful one!

It wasn't negative for me it is an inspiration that i can survive more and more years also an open heart patient with mechanical valve .

Latest posts

Back