Motivational Documentary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hearty

Before I had surgery, a buddy of mine told me to watch a documentary that he had just seen on Netflix. It was about a powerlifting champion named CT Fletcher who was diagnosed with a pre-existing heart condition that had to have surgery and is still a beast. At first I thought I wouldn't relate to it because 1) I'm not a powerlifter 2) He probably has a completely different condition, so what would I care.

Anyway, I watched it and realized right away that I was totally wrong. Hahaha. CT Fletcher had OHS and now lives with a mechanical valve taking Coumadin regularly. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend doing so. I found it very motivational and makes me think back to when I wouldn't want to work out or go to the gym because I was too tired or whatever lame excuse I had at the time. I'm still recovering from my OHS, but definitely look forward to getting into shape.

Here is the link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oiwNAy-Dqo. I can't figure out how to embed it on this post, so my apologies.

Has anyone else seen this documentary? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts. My only criticism is the way he talks.....mutha $%#@ this and mutha #$## that gets kind of old.

What a mutha ##{## lol. I just finished watching it. Was very motivational. Definitely worth watching.
Loved the intro. It's funny each time he was speaking in the gym, I was pressing pause to see if what I was hearing was my tick or his.

Thanks for posting Hearty, I've watched this before, but you posting this could not have come a better time for me as depression has been kicking my butt. Again, thanks!

Interested to see this and then looked up what CT Fletcher has written about himself. He says that he had to have emergency open heart surgery due to his weight and diet of 6 to 7 McDonald's cheeseburgers and junk food that he ate everyday for 20 years to make himself big. I can't find anywhere that he says he has a prosthetic valve, Still, it's inspirational that he got back to powerlifitng at some point after heart surgery. Arnold Schwarzenegger did have bicuspid aortic valve and had aortic vlave replacement and did carry on weight lifting too - so inspirational too !

Paleowoman;n873728 said:
Interested to see this and then looked up what CT Fletcher has written about himself. He says that he had to have emergency open heart surgery due to his weight and diet of 6 to 7 McDonald's cheeseburgers and junk food that he ate everyday for 20 years to make himself big. I can't find anywhere that he says he has a prosthetic valve, Still, it's inspirational that he got back to powerlifitng at some point after heart surgery. Arnold Schwarzenegger did have bicuspid aortic valve and had aortic vlave replacement and did carry on weight lifting too - so inspirational too !

Based on the documentary and some stuff I read online, he has a hereditary condition which his mother also had, but he also put too much strain on his heart with terrible eating habits and the massive lifting. He mentions that they replaced his aortic valve with a mechanical valve and that he constantly hears the ticking. There's also a scene with him taking his daily dosage of Coumadin and he says, "if you have a mechanical valve, you know what this is".

I'd be willing to bet he had aortic stenosis and just didn't know about it until he started having dizzy spells and fainting later on in life. I was diagnosed at a very young age and was always told to stay away from strenuous sports. Sounds to me like as he aged, the valve continued to get narrower, and he unknowingly made the condition worse.

Latest posts

Back