EARLY dialysis can be a bad decision for heart patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg a

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Waiting until total kidney failure is better than starting early

http://swo.ctv.ca/health/

Janine Grespan on dialysis risks
Medical researchers at London's Health Sciences Centre have identified a higher risk of death associated with patients who start dialysis treatment early.

Starting dialysis early may increase risk of death
Wednesday Dec. 8, 2010 7:49 PM ET

Dialysis treatment is life-saving for people with kidney failure.

Increasingly there has been a trend toward beginning treatment before a patient's kidneys shut down, however new research reveals a risk with that practice.

Medical researchers at London's Health Sciences Centre analyzed Canadian data from more than 90% of people who began dialysis treatment between 2001 and 2007; nearly 26,000 patients.

They identified a higher risk of death associated with starting dialysis earlier in patients.

A Nephrologist with the province's fastest-growing dialysis program says this research may help guide decision-making in treatment, but since it focuses on a single factor in the decision, Dr. Mark Benaroia of Grand River Hospital in Kitchener says more study is needed.

My (late) Mom waited until total kidney failure before taking ANY action or dialysis. She was very close to death,
her complete body was poisoned, and she was hospitalised in serious condition. She then went on dialysis for about
one year before a transplant kidney was available. Transplant lasted ~ 17 years, then back on dialysis for a couple
more years until her organs began to give up and uterine cancer was diagnosed and operated.
Finally at age 69 her heart stopped, but it amazed me that her heart kept going
during all those difficult years. Nobody knows where I got my BAV from.....I was too busy always having
my kidney function checked.

Does dialysis effect different valves in different ways? As a cancer survivor (renal) 17 yrs. - with one kidney -I now think about the effect of being placed on dialysis some time - Please provide any histories or info - I am in the final stage of deciding valve type or procedure !!

Does dialysis effect different valves in different ways? As a cancer survivor (renal) 17 yrs. - with one kidney -I now think about the effect of being placed on dialysis some time - Please provide any histories or info - I am in the final stage of deciding valve type or procedure !!
I know of one member here, Mainframe, who underwent surgery with one kidney; there may be others. You could send him a PM. And/or start a new thread with something like "OHS with One Kidney" in the title.

I'm not on dialysis so I'll pass on the question "does dialysis have an impact on heart valves". I''ve never heard about that. Does OHS have an effect on your 1 kidney. Yes it does.

My first AVR surgery I wasn't even aware I only had 1 kidney. I only found out months before my second because my primary wondered why my creatinine level was a bit high. He wanted a kidney ultrasound to find out if I had a kidney stone. During the ultrasound, seems like the tech had a hard time finding the second kidney. LOL. A cat scan determined I didn't have one!

As I was ramping up for my second AVR, all the doctors did what they could to try and minimize any impact a procedure would do. I took something prior to both my cath and cat scan with contrast to minimize the effect the dye had on my single kidney. I also had extra IV hydration prior as well. Dr. Miller thought it a possibility that I would need dialysis after my surgery either short or long term. Fortunately with all the other compilications I had, dialysis wasn't one of them.

I believe user retiredmls went through surgery recently having only 1 kidney. Just make sure your surgeon and cardiologist are aware of your 1 kidney situation. It will change the way they approach your procedure(s).

Back