Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

Best way to recover a swallowed crown ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to recover a swallowed crown ?

Eating some Mike-n-Ikes this afternoon when I suddenly realize a crowned molar is missing in my mouth ! Evidently I swallowed it So the most important question i have is that its small enough so that it should pass naturally correct ? Since its completely solid material its not going to break down in the digestive track. But if you eat nuts they sometimes don't breakdown either.

So I did a quick read on the Internet and the suggestions I read are as follows :

Find a sturdy bucket that can handle your body weight and use as commode
    OR
    Layout newspaper on the bathroom floor.
    THEN
    using plastic knives you have to cut it up and teeny chunks to try and find the crown.

I can't see myself going the newspaper route, my wife about dropped over dead in laughter when I told her about THAT suggestion.

Anyone have any experience with this type of dilemma ? My wife has already said to just get a new crown. But if its a couple of hundred bucks I think Im gonna at least try to recover the original.

Im still laughing over the thought of squatting over the newspaper. Any suggestions ?
    Scott
    Mini-AVR (On-X mechanical Valve) 2/29/2008
    Cleveland Clinic
    Dr Gosta Pettersson

Oh dear, the mental picture is troubling Rather than using knives can't you just, sort of, gently smoosh it & when you encounter something that doesn't smoosh, pick it out?

But, I agree - for the money... unless you're homeowner's insurance would cover it?
    Cris

I believe in small miracles.
    St. Jude Mitral Valve 5/16/05

Comment

I almost had the same thing happen to me summer before last but caught it right before I swallowed it. When I told my dentist that if I had swallowed it, I was going to retrieve it he said he would have given me another crown for free before he would have put that one back in my mouth. I really don't think I could have retrieved it anyway. Good luck with whatever you do.

Kim
      #1 OHS 1980 Wolfe Parkinson White, Duke, Dr Sealy.
      #2 4/08 Tricuspid Replacement (31mm St. Judes Biocor), ASD closure with Bovine Patch, modified right sided Maze Procedure, Mayo clinic

Comment

I swallowed a crown once when eating a brownie. I now have a new crown. The old one is long gone and I never knew a thing about its departure.
        Bicuspid Aortic Valve
        A-flutter zapped by cardiac ablation
        Mitral Valve Prolapse

Comment

LOL! this mental picture is to much! I needed a good laugh! Good Luck to you!
          [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]"Glad to be alive by God's Grace"![/COLOR]
          [COLOR="blue"][COLOR="red"]"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it":)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Red"]Nov 06 Replacement of Aortic Heart Valve St.Jude! Bentall procedure done to repair my 6cm anueuysm St Dominic Hospital Dr Gerhard Mundinger my wonderful Surgeon,& Dr. Clay Hayes Jr. All the Wonderful nurses, surgical team! And of course the Sisters that prayed for me everyday! Along with my 88 year old daddy that made me walk with him everyday! God Bless! each one of you![/COLOR][/B]

Comment

A gold molar crown might be a quarter to a third of an ounce of gold... totally worth the dig.
            In the living room.

[I]"If something is going to affect your life, it's best to know as much as you can about it."[/I] -Donald Trump

[B][U]I am not a doctor or a medical professional! Always check with your doctor before acting on any information that doesn't come from your doctor.[/U][/B]

[color=red]If you have/had an aneurysm, please answer my poll [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37612-Aortic-Aneurysm-and-Respiratory-Issues"]here[/URL]:[/color]

Comment

ROTFLMAO- I work with a very frugal guy who this happened to. He went the bucket route. The denist triple sterilized the recovered crown for him before he glued it back in.
              However this guy made the mistake of telling us the story. W had great fun with it. We made a "Frugal Tooth" award from some plastic dog poo and a toy tooth and an old trophy.
              Avoiding the teasing from friends and family might be worth dollars for a new crown. Also, remember if you want your wife to kiss you without thinking of that tooth and where it has been . . .spend the money.

My 2 cents. . .
              1997: At 33 yo, diagnosed Bicuspid Aortic Valve w/ Severe Aortic Stenosis (1.0cm2)
              2010: BAV w/ SAS (.7 cm2), mean Pressure gradiant: 42mm HG.
              2011: Mechnical valve, On-X, AVR Scheduled Jan 13, w/ Dr. J Alan Wolfe at NorthEast Georgia Medical Center
              [url]http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tracylynnphillips[/url]
              "Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Whether or not the crown was gold would have a definate impact on whether I would go through all that sh** to recover it! Even if I did recover it, I probably wouldn't be ablet o stomach putting it back in my mouth... if it were gold I might try to cash it in... =) but when all else fails, the bucket would work.. actually, if you are lucky you can get one of those plastic inserts for the toilet bowl from your doctor or local pharmacy/hospital. At least you'd be sitting more comfortably while piling up your work...
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Samantha- Sammy's mom[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="Blue"]For Sammy age 8 [/COLOR]
                Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Moderate Aortic Stenosis
                Severe insufficiency, aortic root enlargement, left ventrical enlargement
                Surgery in the future- currently on Dig, lisinopril

Comment

I find this totally amusing,,,I am pretty sure I could not go through with the recovery.

Good Luck and lets us know how things work out!
                  Lou

Mitral valve repair 6/12/1997
                  Mitral valve replacement ,,,St.Jude Regent mechanical,, 8/15/2008 both mini invasive procedure
                  Dr. Donald Glower
                  Duke Medical Center
                  Rate controlled A-Fib
                  Bi-Ventricular Medtronic ICD 4/21/2008

Comment

Oh my gosh! I needed a good laugh for the day. I can just see you now rummaging around in your "poop." What a picture! ! I lost a front crown some time back, in fact, it was gone when I woke up one morning. I didn't even think about looking for it. I figured it was long gone, even down the toliet! Of course, front crowns are not as expensive as molars. I used to work for a dentist so he always gave me a good deal. I can see if it was a gold crown, it also would probably be easier to spot.
                    Love and God Bless, Glenda

PRAYER TO START THE DAY
                    "God, whether I get anything else done today. I want to make sure that I spend time loving you and loving other people--because that's what life is all about. I don't want to waste this day."

Comment

Man, oh Man, this is a good one....
                      It should pass in a day or two, so it's not like you have to play with your poo forever. I would want to know that the darn thing passes and is not still stuck in some corner of your digestive tract.
                      Anyway, you could use a regular toilet and slip a plastic garbage bag over the bowl, take your dump, and then lift off the bag and its contents to search through outdoors or in the garage. I wonder if a magnet would help.
                      Good LUck....report back to us.....we won't laugh......MUCH.
                      BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
                      INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

Well, on a purely practical level, you might want to go to the dollar store and get a colander to put in that bucket, or under yourself, or whatever.

I have on occasion washed dog manure into the lawn with a hose. You might be successful with running water and a colander. I don't want to speculate or even spend any time considering exactly what that would entail...

Best of luck,
                        Bob H

"No Eternal Reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn..." Jim Morrison

[B] [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314"] Click here to View the Glossary of VR Terms and Acronyms[/URL] [/B]

[B]I am not a Medical Professional.[/B] Aortic Valve Replacement (Medtronic Mosaic) on 4/6/04, at Robert Wood Johnson UH in New Brunswick, NJ. AVR again (St. Jude Biocor) on 08/25/09 at St. Michael's MC in Newark, NJ. Both performed by Dr. Tyrone Krause, a true Zen Master Mechanic in the world of valve replacement surgery.

Comment

You will keep us posted??? I'm dying to find out the 'end' result
                          Cris

I believe in small miracles.
                          St. Jude Mitral Valve 5/16/05

Comment

Good luck!!!

On the other hand, a funeral director once told me of a woman who died after having a tooth removed. Seems the tooth broke, she swallowed a piece, it went down the wrong way, she inhaled it & it started an infection in her lungs.

The funeral director handled the woman's service.

Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.
                            Marsha (7-28-50), MVP 1990/MVR (St. Jude) & ASD repair 6/24/03 Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas Texas. Hometesting since 11/03, first with ProTime 3, now with INRatio.
                            John (3-13-46), MV repair 5/10/07, Dallas Presbyterian, port-access incision, Dr. William Ryan. Chordae ruptured 12/05 in car crash.

Comment

Ok....Day 1 in the recovery attempt....no luck. I grabbed my Lowe's bucket this morning, took care of business and then to the task of trying to find my crown. Needless to say when I came downstairs with a bucket of sh*t my wife b-lined to another section of the house.

I considered using a colander but didn't have one readily available when the time came to take care of business. I didn't think that taking the Pampered Chef colander would have gone over very well.

I've already left a msg with the dentist and will be calling them first thing tomorrow am. I really do want to know if I've passed it or not so I will attempt this process again tomorrow. But at this point I don't think I can go through with putting it back in my mouth. Everything very well might taste like crap going forward and I don't want to risk it
                              Scott
                              Mini-AVR (On-X mechanical Valve) 2/29/2008
                              Cleveland Clinic
                              Dr Gosta Pettersson

Comment

Working...
                              X