Looking for advice on how to support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on how to support.

a wonderful friend of mine is having vavle replacement surgery in a week and a half and I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to keep his mind at ease. I can tell he's getting nervous and I want him to know he's not alone, but I'm at a loss with all of this. I've never been through anything like this personally. Well on his side.

listen ... that helps a lot.

reassure him that its fine, reassure him that in a short time surgery will be all in the past and that its one of the most successful surgical interventions in modern medicine.

It is after all just replacing a valve ... the amazing work is all the stuff that goes into the surgery, but after that the body does a great of healing from it all and he'll be back doing normal things, only better, soon.

Comment

Well. . . you found us, so why not introduce your friend to us, too? With the lot of us as remote "friends" and you as the local interpreter, it may help.

Pellicle is spot on, though. Valve replacement surgery has become one of the "safest" major surgery procedures in recent years. Mortality rates are extremely low (typically just over 1%) and recovery is quite manageable, even for elderly patients. Younger patients recover more quickly, but most all can "make it back" to the lifestyle they had, or even better, fairly soon after surgery.

Tell us more, and we may be able to help more.
      Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
      9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
      AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for. New pacemaker (Boston Scientific L101) and ventricular lead, July, 2016.

Comment

Working...
      X