Clot in the mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi,

Anyone was found a clot in their valve? It will be one year since my surgery next 17th and I was told I have a clot, after having had a scan and a camera test (through my throat) Dr confirmed I would not need surgery, I am now on a higher doses of warfarin and I bought the anticoagu check. I am being monitored again in two weeks time.

Anyone went through something similar?

Thanks

Hi
I've not had such, but they are not unheard of. It's a thrombosis obstruction.

You should discuss with your team why they are not using up a to treat this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiss...ogen_activator

This is well known as the gold standard for treatment of thrombosis obstruction.

Also you should ask about why out formed, normally this is an indicator of lengthy inadequate anti coagulation ... Maybe that's why you got the coagucheck?

Best Wishes

Last edited:
this 2015 article sums up nicely the current evidence across a very broad cross section of situations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4625813/

Not knowing your situation (because you've not given it) I can't say more, but as I said above, you should be discussing this pointedly with your team.

For instance it says:

One of the most life-threatening complications of mechanical prostheses is valvular obstruction by pannus, thrombus, or both. Until the 1990s, the treatment of choice for mechanical valve obstruction was surgery but over the last decade, thrombolyis has been used increasingly and has become an alternative to surgery as the first-line therapy in patients with PVT. Tissue plasminogen activator at a low dose and with prolonged infusion time has recently contributed to the success of thrombolytic therapy, with decreased complication rates. Further decrease of tPA with prolongation of the regimen may be associated with lower complication rates. Low-dose and ultra-slow infusion of tPA may be a preferred alternative treatment regimen for PVT in the future.

(PVT is Prosthetic Valve Thrmobosis)

so if it becomes main stream in the near future then it'll probably be another 10 years after that the most surgeons have heard of it. (you know, when the older sticks in the mud die out)

Best Wishes

Back