Anniversary 9 Years Now AFIB

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake777

Hello everyone. I have not been here for a long time. Wanted to say hello to everyone. April was my 9th anniversary for my onx valve. I am now in full blown afib though, and I hate it. Heart rate runs up to 124-127 most times. I have been in hospital and administered Tikosyn but it kept P wave open, so they just sent me home on Amiodorone and and I had horrible side effects, I could not breath and felt like lungs had fluid in them, so in and out of ER last two weeks. Went to see a doctor who put me on those drugs yesterday and now she wants to put me on Sotolol because I was going to try the Multaq but way to expensive. So back in the hospital again to try the Sotolol and she says I may or may not need cardioversion while I'm there. Don't really know how long I've been in afib, because I see I posted a while back about my heart rate. Doc says if you have been in it for a while I may have to have ablation or pacemaker. Anyway glad to see some familiar folks here and wish you all the best.

Blake, how have you been doing? I know that afib with a prosthetic valve is no joke. Have they gotten it under control?

Hi Blake. Sorry to hear about the afib. I hope they get it all figured out soon. I've been in afib or a flutter 4 times over the years of having a mechanical valve. Whenever my Dr. finds out I am in a-fib, he gets me in immediately for a cardioversion. So, I've had 3 cardioversions and one ablation. All procedures went just fine, and you will feel so much better afterwards. I hope they can do one or the other with you soon, to get you back to feeling well. Congrats on your 9 year anniversary! This is just a small bump in the road.

Yeah nothing to fear about being cardioverted, I've been a few times now, but it's been several years. They'll anesthetize you and you won't even remember it. My old cardiologist used to give me the choice of which method I wanted when I showed up at the ER in a fib. Meds or cardio version. He'd say, you know the routine. We put you on meds and see if you can revert to a normal rhythm and if not send you home on more meds, or we bring in the cart and we buzz ya. To which my response was always, "buzz me". 15 minutes later I was fine.

Latest posts

Back