Make your own no salt sausage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Make Your Own No Salt Sausage

Miss having things like breakfast sausage on your low salt diet? Why not try making your own. Not too difficult. I won?t lie and tell you it?s like Jimmy Dean sausage, but it is tasty and enhances your low sodium diet.

Here?s what I do.

I use Prime Pork because it has fewer additives such as sodium solution.

Buy a package of three or four boneless pork chops

Cut them into small dice. If they?re partially frozen it?s easier. Cut crosswise through all the sinewy stuff and fat, and also cut across the grain of the meat. The object is to not have long strings of tissue to deal with.

For Italian Sausage:

Add diced meat to the food processor and pulse a couple of times to chop it finer. Then put into a bowl and add:

1 Tab. And a half Fennel Seed
2 Teas. Hot Pepper Flakes (if you like HOT sausage, otherwise, don?t add these)
1 teas. garlic powder.
1 teas. paprika (not hot)
Could also add some Basil and Oregano, but the Italian sausage around here is pretty simple
a couple of sprinkles of Adolph?s No Salt Meat Tenderizer.

Mix up thoroughly. If you have used hot pepper flakes, put on some latex type gloves and shape into patties, doing your best to push everything together so it stays together when cooked.

Fry up in a non-stick pan in some oil, until browned on both sides. Put into a container and freeze. Then use when you have the need.

Breakfast Sausage:

Buy a package of three or four boneless pork chops

Cut them into small dice. If they?re partially frozen it?s easier. Cut crosswise through all the sinewy stuff and fat, and also cut across the grain of the meat. The object is to not have long strings of tissue to deal with.

If you have a meat grinder, put through the fine blade once. If not it will still work.

Add meat to the food processor.
Add two to three ice cubes, crushed.
Pulse the meat and add some cold water a little at a time until the meat is about the consistency of oatmeal and is fairly smooth.

Empty the mixture into a bowl scraping the corners of the food processor, because the fat particles will get trapped there. You will want that so the sausage is more tender.

Add the following according to your own preferences:

½ teas. pepper
½ teas. AllSpice
½ teas. sage
1/4 teas. clove
½ teas. Coriander

Other spices that you could try either in addition or in place of the above are:
Marjoram
Savory
Cayenne (pinch)

Mix it thoroughly and drop by tablespoons onto an oiled skillet. Fry on both sides until browned. Then put into a container and freeze for future use.

Note: Do not taste raw meat (but you already knew that, right)

For Andouille Sausage

Use the following spice according to your own taste:

Garlic powder
Black Pepper
Cayenne
Chili Powder (no salt)
Allspice
Dried Thyme
Paprika
Ground Bay Leaf
Sage
You can also make chicken sausages. I used 2 boneless whole chicken breasts with the skin and prepared it as above.

I added:

chopped softened dried tomatoes (no salt)
Garlic
Basil
Pepper

Actually you can get some great seasoning ideas by looking in the market in the meat department at some of the spiced sausages they have there, and make your own tasty mix.

When reheating, I fry them up n a bit of no salt butter, oil or if you really want to be good, some Pam, until heated through.

Back