Calcification of a St. judes mechanical mitral valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2angel

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
The surgery should be in 2 to 3 weeks. The surgeon predicts calcification on my 24 year old St. Judes mechanical mitral valve. Does anyone have similar stories of old mechanical valves becoming calcified? Someone on here said they have never heard of calcification on a St. Judes mechanical. I haven't found any studies of cases such as that either. Any insight is welcome. I'm leaning towards just doing the surgery, no matter what is obstructing the valve, since I just want to feel better ASAP. They also plan to do the MAZE procedure which will be great for me. I have daily irregular beats, and would love if they were fixed. My last cardioversion was last year. Thanks all.

Pellicle and I have been discussing this. He agrees with you. The surgeon originally said he expects to find tissue growing on the edges of the valve and into the inside when he removes it. Yesterday, on the phone, we spoke about how he thinks surgery is my only option. He said there is calcification on there, and when a valve is 20 or 30 years old the calcification is so hard that he can't cut it off. We spoke an hour. It was informative, but they are not giving me other options. He doesn't think tpa would work for me. He said there may be a small clot on the calcification, but the calcification is the main problem. However, they can't actually see what it really is on an echo. We will do a CT scan before surgery, and he said it should show the calcification. I wonder if he is just using that term instead of tissue.

My gradient has been high for at least 11 years. 2006 is the oldest echo I received a copy of. It was probably high before that. Since I've had a Mechanical valve since the age of 2, the surgeon thinks my heart has learned to compensate. A few years ago when I mentioned my symptoms, the Dr. said he thought my mechanical valve was too small. (This one was implanted at the age of 13.) I Was about 75 lbs then, so I have grown a little. So, that made sense.
Symptoms have gotten much worse, and I'm in CHF now, so they are saying it's an obstruction. Everything you and pellicle have said makes sense to me, but They are only looking at surgery.

Looking over my notes from the surgeons phone call: it looks like he said the scar tissue on the valve will be white and calcified because it's so old. Maybe he is not using the word calcification for it's correct meaning. I believe he is just using it to mean "hard". He said scar tissue will grow around the rim or the decon portion and black housing. As the scar tissue grows, it shrinks and shortens. It forms a membrane that partly covers the opening. He believes the valve may not be opening properly due to this. He said the rough edge of the calcified scar tissue can be a source for new clots.
They also said I have not had any TIAs (I've had symptoms of them twice in the last year). I still mess up words more than I used to. I wasn't going to argue. Just praying this valve replacement works great, and that all my word issues resolve on their own. Once the stress of this issue is done, maybe everything else will fall into place.
He stated that he can normally cut away tissue instead of replacing the valve, but when the valve is 20 or 30 years old the calcification is too hard to cut. So, I do think he is using the word to mean "hard".
After talking to him, I am thinking that surgery to replace the valve is the best option here. Also, the valve is the first generation of St. Judes valves. The one they will put in, (On-X) is the third generation. I had mine so long I bypassed the second generation. :p

mom2angel;n880472 said:
Pellicle, I haven't gotten the call with the appointment yet. It's all hurry up and wait..haha

It's tough. I feel that with my infection investigations (to a much lesser extent of course) and I don't have any physical symptoms. You on the other hand are suffering acute symptoms thst are debilitating.

I hope you get a good resolution soon :)

mom2angel;n880469 said:
My gradient has been high for at least 11 years. ...Everything you and pellicle have said makes sense to me, but They are only looking at surgery.

Don't wait until the risks are to high, if you're in CHF perhaps you simply can't wait for the Mayo to get back to you ?

11 years of being fobbed off might just be too much.

Thanks agian. I've waited long enough. Mainly because of the inexperienced Doctor. I'll have surgery in 2 to 3 weeks. They'll do the Maze Procedure when they replace the valve, which will be great for me. And, they will put a pacemaker in if they damage the conduction system while cutting through scar tissue. I will have a different doctor with me. Right now, I'm excited to get this done to feel better. Just getting things at home in order before surgery. Busy month with school activities and such. My husband will take off work to keep things running. Thanks

Hope your surgery went well. Did they determine if it was a calcium build up?

Clickon, thank you. I ended up getting diagnosed with Constrictive Pericarditis at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. They did a TEE and said my mechanical valve from 1993 is still working great. February 19 of this year, I had a Pericardiectomy done at the Mayo Clinic. All of my heart failure symptoms have went away. It was a godsend.

Latest posts

Back