Drainage tube removal experience!?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hey hey , just wondering how everyone felt about their drainage tubes being removed. Was it painful as heck or just a weird sensation? Feel free to be honest; I can take it lol.

That was one thing I was concerned about (along with the breathing tube) because of posts I read on here. To my surprise, I didn't have a terrible problem with either. I was probably on some pain meds when they were removed.

Hello - Personally for me. It was pretty painful. I think I had 3? All a bit of a blur now but I think there were two smaller one's and a larger one. I remember the nurses pumping me with drugs a few moments before and saying to brace on the count of 3. It hurt and I could feel one of them pulling through me when it was pulled out. It wasn't pleasant at all, but was brief pain, all over in a few seconds really.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm going in tomorrow at 5:45am and for some crazy reason the drainage tube removal thing has been bugging me lol. As if it matters after surviving a surgery, right Lol?? But still good to go in with a bit of an idea of how it will feel is helpful to me.

It didn't really hurt when they were pulled out, just felt weird and it happens really fast. I found it very uncomfortable when they were in so it was a great relief for me when they came out.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery!

It sure beat them not being removed! Think of it like jumping into a cold pool. A brief moment that's unpleasant, followed by relief. Only with more blood and pain. I kid! I kid! But only a little.

Assuming you are well underway and will read this in recovery. Good luck today!

Guest;n880142 said:
... Was it painful as heck or just a weird sensation? Feel free to be honest; I can take it lol.

It was a short 5 seconds. It felt like something sliding out.

Honestly (since you invited) as others have said you cant leave them in.

It's fascinating to me the incredibly minute and insignificant points people choose to focus attention on.

You'll be fine

LadyChicken;n880148 said:
Thanks for the quick replies! I'm going in tomorrow at 5:45am ... But still good to go in with a bit of an idea of how it will feel is helpful to me.

Hope your surgery goes well. Perhaps in the ward you'll come back and read some things here.

Another person observed that having OHS is a kind of privilege. You get to go through something most never do. Its kinda like an elite club.

This makes it also an important life experience. Something you and few others ever get to experience. So roll in and soak that experience up. Myself I don't ask for spoilers before seeing an important movie, I just go and see.

Treat it the same :)

Even though it's a minor thing, I would descibe it as an experience I'll never forget,

no one here seems to have forgotten :)

in a haze of waking up feeling like a fender bender its something that seems to stick in your memory

Warrick;n880190 said:
no one here seems to have forgotten :)

You know, I forgot most of the stuff around my 2nd surgery. If I hadn't had the infection and then the debridement after the third I probably would have just moved on as I did the other surgeries. I remember more the pathetic things like the fart sound that came out when I went to urinate after they took my catheter out.

Much of my memory of things has been facilitated by discussion and personal reflection on answering questions here. Sometimes that has uncovered things which have been interesting for me myself to reflect upon. Stuff which maybe I am better off for bringing from the unconscious to the conscious, but sometimes I just think I'm recalling stuff which I feel held little or no significance to me.

We are each different. Come to this from a different beginning, and will likely depart this "orbital slingshot" in a different trajectory.

I wish that things were different after this last surgery in ways that I won't go into. However I will say that nothing, nothing at all, from my last OHS is anything I feel to be a trauma or something I cringed from.

I can't say the same of subsequent things.

pellicle;n880178 said:
Another person observed that having OHS is a kind of privilege. You get to go through something most never do. Its kinda like an elite club.

This makes it also an important life experience. Something you and few others ever get to experience. So roll in and soak that experience up.

Absolutely spot on that ,.......

I found the drain tubes a non event, no issues

I remember that taking the tubes(2) out was a quick, stabbing type pain that was over pretty quick......but did take my breath away.....and hurt. Nowadays I visit about 15 OHS post op patients each week at one of our local hospitals. It seems that the extraction pain varies greatly among patients. Some find it a nonevent while others find it very painful, as I did, but over pretty quick. Among the patients I visit, it doesn't seem to matter whether you are male/female, young/old, fat/slim.......some folks tolerate it well and some don't. The good news is that the pain, if any, lasts only a minute.

I had terrible back pain while in the hospital. I thought it was just spasms. When they took the tubes out, the pain went away. But it was just a weird sensation when they pulled them out. I was surprised at how long they were.

knotguilty;n880280 said:
I had terrible back pain while in the hospital. I thought it was just spasms. When they took the tubes out, the pain went away.

Interesting, it sounds like they were right against a nerve ... given how many in that area it makes me wonder how common that experience is (and how it effects them coming out)

Back