Guess there was a reason I've been feeling lousy - AVR here I come!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerworx

So not to bore everyone with the details, but I hope that you can listen to me sort this out.... I think I just need to get it out.

So, I've been pretty active most of my life, sometimes more, sometimes less. Spent all my younger years rock climbing all over the West Coast and up into Canada and hiking everywhere I could. I've never been able to run, I was always the one that couldn't quite get my breathing right. Swimming was about the same, strong but not able to get my breathing down. Never stopped me, but I was always the one in the best shape that got smoked on the uphills by my out of shape friends.

So about 2.5 years ago I had my ACL repaired after years of dealing with it and a torn meniscus. At that time, the anesthesiologist asked if I'd ever been told I had a heart murmur before (I hadn't). After surgery my activity went way down and I struggled to get it back. I assumed that I was getting older (a ripe 34) and maybe work was causing some of my fatigue. I asked my doctor about the heart murmur and I was asked if it bothered me (I said no) and they sent me on my way.

So in the next couple years I had a few episodes of feeling short of breath and coughing up fluids during activity but things were pretty minor and didn't think much of it. The last two times though were bad and the last time my wife made me head to the ER. Initially they thought I was having a heart attack, but quickly ruled it out. After a chest X-Ray came back showing my heart enlarged and an echo confirmed that my heart valve was shot (not before every test known to man was done on me - I'm sure you can all relate).

So the good news is that otherwise I'm pretty healthy, I've gained a little weight in the last 18 months but nothing that won't come off easily if I could just do some exercise without feeling like I'm underwater. I'm ready to feel better and get this out from over my head. I'm hopeful that this is the cause of my fatigue and major lack of energy that seems to have come out of nowhere in the last 18 months.

It has been quite the shock to find out that something so severe has been wrong with me for so long. I've since found out that my family has had a history of this and it has killed a number of relatives at an early age. I definitely don't have much of a choice. It sure would have been nice if my family would have communicated these sorts of things to be screened. I had never spent much time seeing doctors before so it doesn't surprise me that it had gone unnoticed all my life. Two different surgeons told me I have about 3-5 years if I don't do anything.

So 9/14 is the day. OHSU in Portland by Dr. Song. I'll be the proud new owner of a On-X aortic valve.

Some concerns that I have are making sure that I'm careful with my activity being on Warfarin. I talked to the surgeon about options, and it sounds like with the approval for lower doses and some moderate precautions the risk is fairly low - especially considering that I'm 37 and might be looking at multiple valves otherwise. Also, living in the Northwest, I really enjoy the local microbrews (sometimes probably more than I should). Does anyone have any experience with what to expect, or is it pretty individual? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to have to abstain, but it has certainly become a part of socializing in this area.

I work a job that is mostly at a desk. How long did you take before you felt comfortable working a full day? I'd especially like to hear from some people close to my age; What about resuming sports? Hiking, etc?

Hi! I am 44, but was 42 when I had my surgery. I have a St. jude mechanical. I also work at a desk job. I was back at work at 8 weeks, although I worked from home the first few weeks (mainly because it was difficult to lug my briefcase to work and dress myself in a suit). I also tired easily still at 8 weeks. I think I went back to the office at 10 weeks. It was fine at that point. I highly recommend cardiac rehab. I started at 6 weeks I think and was jogging (slowly!) at 7 weeks out. By by the 10th week of rehab I was running 7 -7.5mph on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes. Of course once I stopped rehab I wasn't in quite as good shape - back to regular life, so I only run on the weekends :).

" Does anyone have any experience with what to expect, or is it pretty individual? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to have to abstain, but it has certainly become a part of socializing in this area."

I had one spike in my INR ( 6.0 ) that I have suspected came from slight over indulgence in beer and I have been careful ever since to not exceed a litre and I have not had a spike like that for that suspected reason ever since so if you keep it to a couple of tall ones you should be OK but....everyone is different when it comes to Warfarin / Coumadine.....but you really need to keep moderation in mind for the rest of your life.....you don't have to stop, just don't go overboard

Hi powerworx and welcome. You will find many folks in your age range on this site. I was 31 when I had the surgery. I had just graduated college when I had the surgery and went to work at a brand new employer 6 weeks after surgery. I have enjoyed a normal life and done all the normal things.....even a few things that where not quite normal. Warfarin, for some, can be a little challenging at first but normally settles down after short time. I have no trouble with warfarin so long as I "take the pill as prescribed and test routinely". I strongly suggest self testing after you have been on the drug 3 months or so.

A few beers will not be a problem.......just don't get falling down drunk and hit your head on the concrete.....that can cause real problems.

Hi and welcome

powerworx;n878332 said:

So 9/14 is the day. OHSU in Portland by Dr. Song. I'll be the proud new owner of a On-X aortic valve.

I hope it all goes well (and I expect it will too by the way)

Some concerns that I have are making sure that I'm careful with my activity being on Warfarin. I talked to the surgeon about options, and it sounds like with the approval for lower doses and some moderate precautions the risk is fairly low

I would agree with that ... but to be honest anything under 2.5 and I really can't tell if I bruise more easily or bleed longer. I normally keep mine around 2.6 (which is my average not what I've specifically aimed to do.

I really enjoy the local microbrews (sometimes probably more than I should). Does anyone have any experience with what to expect, or is it pretty individual? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to have to abstain, but it has certainly become a part of socializing in this area.

I don't think it'll cramp your style. I was drinking quite a bit on a trip to Prague a while back (like April) and averaged about 2.5L per day of the fine beer they make in the Czech Republic ... after a week of that my INR was up to 3.5 ... so not any issue really

I work a job that is mostly at a desk. How long did you take before you felt comfortable working a full day? I'd especially like to hear from some people close to my age; What about resuming sports? Hiking, etc?

I had 2 operations one younger than you (28) and one older than you (48) and was fit and active before both. I worked in IT around the time of the second and it was about the 8 week mark that I was back at work (iirc). I didn't drive myself there (following the orders about driving) and had my wife (who went not too far out of her way on her way to work) to drive me there instead.

I recommend you have a read about INR management on my blog, not specifically because you will self manage (although my view is that you should) but so that you can get a feel for how INR management has been handled by me, and also to get an idea of how it effects my life (it doesn't really).

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/INR

You'll see that basically I'm an organised and regular documentor of my results and that alone has taught me a lot, especially in conjunction with readings that I've done which back up where and why you should have your INR.

Fish out some of my older posts here about my lifestyle and you should get an idea of how it will effect you. (here is one or two for starters http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...777#post798777 ; http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...364#post794364)

my blog has a "daily life" tag that I apply to "general stuff" ... should give you an idea of what I get up to (and what you should be able to too).

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/daily life

Best Wishes

Keep Climbing

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just found the videos on YouTube and watched them with my wife. She seems to feel a lot better seeing how well everyone was doing even a day out of surgery.

I'm 38 and just under 3 months past my surgery. I had an aortic graft and the On-X put in. The surgery was Monday morning and I was released around noon on that Thursday. I went back to work (desk job) half days at 5 weeks and full days the following week. More intense days (my daughter's dance competition for instance) still wear me out but it's getting better.

The warfarin has been a bit of a roller coaster but it seems to be that way for everyone. I should be set up with the INR meter by the end of this week and I can't wait. The clinic likes bi-weekly draws and only when my INR dropped to 1.2 did they switch to weekly for a few weeks. Anyway, it'll smooth out and shouldn't be a big deal. Like pellicle, I seem to notice longer bleeding at about 2.5 and up. I actually tried liquid bandage on a stubborn shaving nick and it seemed to work very well.

Cardio rehab is a must. My care is through the VA and, predictably, balls are being dropped. I'm still not under an exercise program and I feel like my cardio fitness is lagging behind.

Back