Here we go again

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcc617

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I was pretty active on this site about 5-6 years ago. Everyone provided a lot of insight, advice and hand holding as I prepared for my aortic valve replacement. Surgery was easy-peasy and I was the proud owner of a pig valve. Well...the latest echo shows the pig is dying. The heart cath is scheduled for this Thursday and hoping that it shows replacement is in the future. But... with symptoms, I'm not convinced. So...here we go again. I can only hope that the replacement is as easy as the first one.

Updates soon.

sorry to read you're facing a redo soon.

I am sure you'll find the site as valuable this time as last time. Bonus is that this time you know more about what its all about and how long things will take and some of what to expect.

Best Wishes

I, too am sorry you are facing a re-do after 5 years. Did they say what the cause was? Good luck with your upcoming appointments and tests. As Pellicle said, you are now armed with 'experience and information'. May it be textbook like it was first time around.

Hi dcc - I know that this must be an incredibly stressful time for you. Hang in there. I was referred to cardiac surgeon in May because my bovine valve of just over three years was going wrong. As a result of several tests, and especially as a result of trans-oesophageal echo it was discovered that my valve has not degenerated but is too small - this means that surgery for a re-do is not so imminent as my cardiologist thought. I don't know the timeline for re-do for me but delaying it was a great relief to me. Hope you find that either your re-do is in the future or, if not, that it will be as easy as the first time and that you have a good surgeon. Please keep us posted.

Hi doc, it looks like I'm facing a redo soon of my bovine aortic replacement valve. It's 11 years old and showing calcification. I'd love to talk to you.

Hi doc, it looks like I'm facing a redo soon of my bovine aortic valve. It's 11 years old and showing calcification. I'd love to talk to you.

The cath yesterday didn't provide good results. The valve is shot and needs to be replaced within weeks, not months. I'm still in a little bit of shell shock. It's not that I didn't expect it, but was hoping for a little more time. Next steps are more appointments and a meeting with the surgeon. Yippy-skippy. I can hardly wait..............not! At least they can repair it.

So sorry you are going down this road again. My valve is bovine and I made my decision knowing that I'll be facing what you are going through. Sounds like you are handling it like a trooper overall. Sending positive energy your way.

so I'm happy to report that I'm on water pills and, well, there's a LOT of water flowing. I can breathe again not winded. Still working out and doing great. Yes, I realize this is a matter of time. But a little relief is most welcome. I have a f/u visit at the end of the month and will be scheduled for a Transesophageal echocardiography. Then, once we have the full picture, a visit to the surgeon and off we go. During the cath, the valve was so tight he had issues getting the wire through. I'm really hoping the water loss will provide some time. Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.
Dave

So I had the TEE yesterday and the results aren't great. Apparently one of the flaps on the valve has torn and is the cause of the regurgitation. End result....surgery date will be within the month. The surgeon and I had a long chat and i believe that I'm going with another porcine valve. He confirmed that they should be able to window the sternum again but with scar tissue it will be a bit longer.

The bad part of this is 4th quarter is THE worst time of the year to be out. And my counterpart in LA just broke her knee. This is going to strain the system a bit. But...it is what it is.

Next steps is to meet with the surgeon and pick a date.

dcc617;n878824 said:
So I had the TEE yesterday and the results aren't great. Apparently one of the flaps on the valve has torn and is the cause of the regurgitation. End result....surgery date will be within the month.

Sorry to read. So is this about 5 years out of that valve?

Thinking of you dcc617. I don't think there is ever a good time! Hope your surgical appointment goes well and you are at peace with your decisions.

dcc617
I can't reply to a comment, so I'll follow up here. That's a bum deal. I love the way surgical stuff has (more or less) no warranty, but if your car failed like that it'd be a big deal.

I hope you get better mileage out of the next one.

Best Wishes

So surgery is set for Mon 10/30. It's the latest they'd allow me to schedule. Wasn't able to see the surgeon as he was needed in ICU for a patient that coded. I'll cut him some slack on this. Probably going with another pig.

I hope everything goes well with AVR2 for you. I did very well with my 2d replacement 3 years ago. My pig valve had lasted 6 years, and also had a torn flap resulting in regurgitation, but I only learned of that after surgery. I'm curious about your decision to get a 2d pig valve. I tried to reason myself into another tissue valve and just couldn't do it. Also, my surgeon was adamant that he wouldn't do it. (And this IS just curiosity, not a challenge.)

I just didn't want to have to deal with the warfarin and all the testing/blood sticks that goes with it. Yes, I know it's fine once you've gotten it in order. But it's another damned pill. And I'm taking so many pills right now I just didn't want to add more. I've talked with friends that have mechanical and they complain about the noise. Yes many people can turn it off after a while. But .....I just decided to make my life a little easier for now. Yes, I know this could involve another surgery. But...I've accepted that. The surgeon is fine with either decision.

dcc617;n879396 said:
. And I'm taking so many pills right now I just didn't want to add more.

Being on lots of other medications may also complicate warfarin management
​​​​​​

Latest posts

Back