Got My Date- July 3rd

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COfireftr

Things just got real! After many years of anticipation, some anxiety, and countless hours of research, surgery is in the near near future.

At times all these years in the waiting room have been challenging, although I've done my best not to let it consume me. Sometimes I've embraced the challenge and worked harder to live well . Still managed to run a marathon, several half marathons and shorter races, lots of mountain biking, traveled a little, enjoyed the heck out of my family, and continued to do the job I love.

Although time in the waiting room has provided some anxiety and worry, the process has so been worth it. I feel so lucky to have had the time to do my research and be my own advocate. Not everyone has this luxury. After having several cardiologists through the years, consulting with several surgeons from local to world renowned, reading a ton, and communicating with many great people like you all, I can feel confident in the decision I've made. This process has helped me realize that there is no one size fits all model. The recommendations are valid and there for a reason, but you still have to do what's best for you and your individual situation. No guarantees​ it will be right, but at least it was your own.

I will be going for an aortic valve repair with Dr Svensson, at Cleveland Clinic, on July 3rd. Backup will be a tissue valve. This was an incredibly tough decision at my age (40), but I just could not put my job in jeopardy with Coumadin. I'm not in any way afraid of Coumadin, but I just don't think the guidelines would have allowed me back "on the line" with it. Even if I did get back on line it would be a struggle every year at annual physical time.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate you all. Hopefully when I become a seasoned heart surgery vet I can be of assistance and pay it forward to some down the road.

Eric

Congratulations, Eric. I love it when plans come together like yours. I think you have done all the learning, discerning and decision-making. Now it is just time to follow your schedule and be where you need to be when they are ready for you.

You sound a bit like me. I, too, was in The Waiting Room for quite a while (check the old posts here to see what it was like), did a lot of research and finally made a choice. I had my share of speed bumps on the road to recovery, but it has all worked out well, and I believe your journey will, too.

Keep us posted on your journey. We'll be here waiting.

Congratulations, Eric! I was not in the waiting room (4 months from diagnosis to surgery) but still had a sense of peace once the date was set. Glad you are comfortable with your decision. Sending positive energy your way~

Michele

epstns;n877315 said:
Congratulations, Eric. I love it when plans come together like yours. I think you have done all the learning, discerning and decision-making. Now it is just time to follow your schedule and be where you need to be when they are ready for you.

You sound a bit like me. I, too, was in The Waiting Room for quite a while (check the old posts here to see what it was like), did a lot of research and finally made a choice. I had my share of speed bumps on the road to recovery, but it has all worked out well, and I believe your journey will, too.

Keep us posted on your journey. We'll be here waiting.

Thank you, Steve! I'm pretty sure you were in the waiting room when I joined shortly after getting diagnosed. It was so great to see you still active here when I started dropping back in again. You have always offered a positive and calming presence and the forum is lucky to have you.

I see Dr. McCarthy was your surgeon. I was so close to sending my stuff to him for a consult. I have lots of IL ties and love Chicago (Go Cubs!) and was very impressed with what I saw and read with him and Northwestern.

Thanks again,

Eric

epstns;n877333 said:
Just be sure to tell them to save you some popsicles from the July 4th celebration. You probably won't be in the mood for them yet.

It's funny you mention the 4th. I was actually hesitant scheduling surgery on the 3rd for fear that the staff will be grumpy working on the holiday. Would be even better if they had beer at the celebration and they could save me a few of those. :Face-Smirk:

honeybunny;n877319 said:
Congratulations, Eric! I was not in the waiting room (4 months from diagnosis to surgery) but still had a sense of peace once the date was set. Glad you are comfortable with your decision. Sending positive energy your way~

Michele

Thanks so much, Michele! there have been times I wished I didn't have so much time but in the end I feel fortunate. Take care!

Good luck Eric, but more than luck: you have pretty much the best surgeon in the world. Holidays are not a bad time to be in the hospital - it is pretty quiet (except in ER) and
the nurses are happily making time and one half!

Thanks so much to everyone for the support and well wishes. It's so appreciated! My wife and I started a blog going to chronicle the adventure if anyone is interested. It's part educational, part travelogue, and just an overall look at the journey from a light and fun perspective. Catch you all on the other side!

captaintinman.blogspot.com

Eric

Thanks so much to everyone for the well wishes! Surgery went well. The bicuspid aortic valve repair was a success! I checked in the morning of the July 3rd and was discharged today, less than 5 days later. We'll be staying in a Cleveland hotel until Tuesday and then flying home to Colorado. Today's the first day I've felt up to staring at a small screen but I will post a better update in the near future. Thanks to you all for your caring, concern, and knowledge through the years.

Eric

Thanks so much to everyone for the well wishes! Surgery went well. The bicuspid aortic valve repair was a success! I checked in the morning of the July 3rd and was discharged today, less than 5 days later. We'll be staying in a Cleveland hotel until Tuesday and then flying home to Colorado. Today's the first day I've felt up to staring at a small screen but I will post a better update in the near future. Thanks to you all for your caring, concern, and knowledge through the years.

Eric

Back