Introduction and many thanks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I wanted to take a couple minutes to introduce myself and say thanks to the many members of this forum that helped me arrive at my decision in regards to my second AVR:

A little about me, I hade my first AVR a little over 13 years ago at age 31. The valve was solid for 7 years and been in decline the past 6. The valve let me do some amazing things though... I got married to my lovely wife during that period, traveled the world and saw Ireland, Greece, Malta, Italy, France and Spain. I lost a job and started new one and damn near paid my house off during that time frame. I guess I'm trying to say that valve let me live a pretty good life. It did not last as long as we had originally hoped...

My cardiologist informed me around Christmas of '16 he thought it was time we start the process to get my valve replaced sometime in the coming year. There was no rush as I have been pretty much without symptoms unless I do something to really exert myself. Despite a couple delays, some on my part, some on the medical system and some beyond anyone's control here I am on AVR surgery eve, my surgery is bright and early June 2nd. I'm a little less anxious this time around but anxious none the less. My poor wife who wasn't around for the first surgery is having a really hard time with it. In fact it seems most of my family is more anxious than I am.

The same surgeon that did the first surgery will be installing a shiny new Onx valve (I told him I would splurge and go new, I didn't want any used model). Getting to the decision of a mechanical valve was tough for me and many of you on this site helped me come to that decision in posts you have written over time. I had it set on my head early on I wanted a tissue valve, but after doing my research and hearing your stories the decision for me became crystal clear. I'll pop back in next week and let you no how being a metahuman is (that's what my wife is calling me due to the mechanical valve).

I'm planning on sticking around as well and keep posting with the rest of you, there's a comfort coming to this site, maybe in the future some of my posts can assist someone new as you all have helped me. I'm looking forward to being recovered and have my heart begin to work efficiently again, but baby steps I'll take it a day at a time.

Regards and thanks for all the support and assistance you all have provided,
Mark

Hi Mark - welcome to the forum. And all the very best for your surgery tomorrow ! Wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery and that things don't stress your wife too much - I think this is very hard on our loved ones. Looking forward to your posts on the other side !

Mark, Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I'm just over a month out from my 1st AVR at 50 and so far so good. I think it has taken more years off my wife's life with worry than it has mine. Best regards, JCG

Hi Mark! I'm almost 4 weeks post op from my mechanical AVR. I was strongly against mechanical too, but now I'm so thankful that I chose it (rather, my doctor and surgeon said it was the best choice so I went with it.) I want it to be a looooooong time before I'm back in that operating room, that was rough stuff! It's hard to remember now the physical pain, but I remember my thoughts on how bad it was. They say it's worse on younger patients because they have more muscle tone. Anyway, you're 5 days out now, I hope you are feeling better, we're all waiting :)

I wanted to post briefly today and say I'm successfully out the other side, home and recoverying! I will post a message in the post surgery forum tomorrow recalling my story to date as my parents head home in the morning and I'll find myself with more time on my hands. Thanks for all the well wishes to date so excited to be posting this message and finding myself once again on the road to recovery.

Fantastic news! Well done and welcome home.
Great to hear you're post op and recovering well. Let us know how things progress.

Sending summer good thoughts your way for the days ahead. ;-)

Cruxten, Welcome to the other side, for the second time. Looking forward to your story. I've been trying to get my written for almost a year now. Hope recovery is smooth. Looks like you had some great experiences in the past years and I wish you more in the future. Please stick around, visit, and contribute. It is always helpful to hear from others with similar experiences.

<HUMOR> This group is normally supportive and friendly. There are a few IT guys that you may recognize their communications and humor . Some are Aussies and Canadians and I suggests patience with them, for their communications style can be as blunt as a chain saw that hit a rock. <- This is an attempt of humor to trigger some friendly banter. </HUMOR>

FredW;n8772 said:
<HUMOR> This group is normally supportive and friendly. There are a few IT guys that you may recognize their communications and humor . Some are Aussies and Canadians and I suggests patience with them, for their communications style can be as blunt as a chain saw that hit a rock. <- This is an attempt of humor to trigger some friendly banter. </HUMOR>
I'll trade you my mother-in-law for Lionel Richie.

Mark, the mechanical valve has been great for me. I take Coumadin daily, but I just look at it as a vitamin. My brother has the On-X valve and he doesn't have any complications. Hopefully with the mechanical valve, this is the last surgery you'll ever need. My surgery wasn't even a year ago and I've been on waterslides, rides at Disneyland, and have played in some good pickup games of basketball. No problems. My surgery was called the Bentall procedure because they replaced some of my aorta, too.

Back