It's showtime.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonbet

I have known for 17 years about my BAV but have only really been consciously in the waiting room for about 7 or those years. Mayo told me in March that my numbers, which had been steadily on the cusp of severe since about 2013, had taken a sharp turn downwards and I have LVH and it's time. I remain asymptomatic unless you count episodic fatigue. So I am scheduled for AVS on May 24th and intend to get an OnX mechanical valve (I am 64 and very active). Merely 2 weeks. In some ways it's fortunate that I have been seriously distracted with a campaign that I am spearheading. So I am so busy that I have remained pretty task oriented about preparing and haven't dwelled so much on the more terrifying psycho/emotional aspects of what I am about to endure. And I seem to be more worried about how I will get things done post-op than thinking about the more negative physical realities. I know all that avoidance is about to dissipate. I am traveling from Oregon to the Mayo in Rochester. I will have my two grown children and my husband by my side.

I have found so much knowledge, wisdom, humor, and solace on this site and am very grateful for all who contribute, especially the regulars. I will try to keep up with posting through the weeks, I want to make the effort because I know how helpful it was to read about other people's journeys. Talk soon, Bonbet

Will be thinking of you on the 24th Bonbet ! It's the day before my wedding anniversay so that will remind me. I'm glad you'll have your children and husband by your side to support you. I know what you mean about worrying about how you will get things done post op - with help at first and then slowly bit by bit back to normality. Wishing you a very smooth and speedy recovery - keep us posted when you feel up to it !

Sending good thoughts your way for the 24th, Bonbet. Will be looking out for your updates as the days pass. The very best for your post-op recovery, too. ;-)

Thinking of you and sending my most positive thoughts on the 24th. I think being task oriented and goal setting is an excellent coping strategy.
All the very best to you.

Bonbet - I hope you will find out very soon after surgery how much better you will feel. I saw that you travel from Oregon to Rochester. I had my surgery 9 months ago at OHSU by a really great surgeon (Jay Raman) with a lot of experience. I got a On-X as well and only had to use heavy pain medications for one day and then continued on Tylenol. Was out of the hospital after 6 days and started work 2.5 weeks post OP. Well you are retired - but still this might give you an idea of how well the recovery went. A key difference was the partial sternotomy and the use of plates used for the closing of the sternum (a specialty of this surgeon) - that made recovery for me so much better and less painful.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement! It feels more surreal the closer I get.
Juli, I am so glad you had a positive experience at OHSU and that you had such a rapid uneventful recovery. Hearing that is very reassuring. Bonbet

Latest posts

Back