10 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dreamy885;n876269 said:
I am officially done with all of my doctor's appointments that needed to be done prior to surgery! Those included a CT scan, dental clearance, lab draw and some form of birth control (I went with IUD to hopefully help with heavy bleeding from the warfarin.) They did want me to get a physical but since I just met with my cardiologist recently, they are going to count that as my physical. All that's left to do now is some grocery shopping and cleaning next week. I'm just trying to enjoy each beautiful day with my kids before surgery, been getting out on the Razor scooters with them and going for a short ride. I don't know how long it will be before I can do that again so I'm taking full advantage now!
Again, not long. You'll be fine sweetie. Enjoy your youth.

Hi

dreamy885;n876269 said:
...I don't know how long it will be before I can do that again so I'm taking full advantage now!

excellent view ... make sure that now you are awake to this concept that you keep an eye on this as an indicator of being "awake to life" so that in the years after surgery you can look back on this and make sure you don't "roll over and go back to sleep" to life. I've had a few "wake up calls" over the years.

I don't remeber any of the discomfort (and its discomfort, like this shirt doesn't fit right ,no pain) from wires removal nor any of the stuff early after surgery. This goes more so for the surgery I had when I was 28 to the one I had at 48. The one at 28 I really only remember some things like what the room looked like and stuff.

These things look bigger from before them than they do after them in the rear vision mirror.

Best Wishes

pellicle;n876272 said:
Hi

excellent view ... make sure that now you are awake to this concept that you keep an eye on this as an indicator of being "awake to life" so that in the years after surgery you can look back on this and make sure you don't "roll over and go back to sleep" to life. I've had a few "wake up calls" over the years.

I don't remeber any of the discomfort (and its discomfort, like this shirt doesn't fit right ,no pain) from wires removal nor any of the stuff early after surgery. This goes more so for the surgery I had when I was 28 to the one I had at 48. The one at 28 I really only remember some things like what the room looked like and stuff.

These things look bigger from before them than they do after them in the rear vision mirror.

Best Wishes

I'm very glad to hear that they seem bigger beforehand, because it's the after that I'm worried about! I hope I remember to stay awake to this concept as well. I have plans for my newfound energy that I should be getting, I'm actually pretty excited to get past this bump. People keep feeling sorry for me and I tell them, "don't be sorry, this is a wonderful thing! I'm so lucky that we're aware of my problems and are able to fix them, some people miss that opportunity!"

dreamy885;n876312 said:
I'm very glad to hear that they seem bigger beforehand, because it's the after that I'm worried about! I

Well after my first (at 10) I just got better and stronger.

By 28 when I needed my 2nd I'd made up for lost ground and nobody ever suspected I'd ever had a surgery. After that I went to checkups as requested then more or less just drifted off after 8 or so years. Went and lived in Japan, Korea then Finland (from Australia), so nothing held me back then either.

After the one in 2011 (I was back in Australia with my wife) went back to working, working on my house reno and the usual camping and hiking stuff.

I'm presently back in Finland after a successful winter enjoying XC Backcountry skiing and about to go back to Australian where im planning a 3 month trip around the place.

As you may know im on warfarin and just self test and self dose where ever I happen to be.

So business as usual really. I'm sure it'll be the same for you.

It's true. In the months leading up to surgery it was hard to go long without thinking about it. Now just over 2 years after I don't think about it that much. I find if I'm busy I'm less likely to get lost in my own head, I'm too busy thinking about what I'm doing.

Nine months post-op and I can outrun the kids. I'm actually at my 'baseline'.
The fretting about all-the-things-that-can-go-wrong probably takes a while. I'm still a newbie too and have my moments, but physically I'm fine (for me)... greying hair, a zit on my forehead, poor posture etc.

In less than 24 hours, I'll be opened up. Today is my last day with my native valve(s), my last day of not being on anticoagulants, my last day with my old scar. I'm starting to get emotional, and I think I'll probably cry in pre-surgery with my dad and bf there...not out of fear of the surgery, I just hate change and I don't want my family to worry about me.
Yesterday I wrote down my kids' schools names, addresses, phone numbers, teachers names, start and end times, etc. And then I went on to write like 3 giant paragraphs about how to take care of them, I couldn't decide if I was being a control freak, or just that I want their lives to stay as normal as possible while I'm away. Either way, when you put it on paper, it makes you realize how much you do, and as a mom, we can alway use reminders of that :) I'm sad that I'll most likely spend Mother's Day in ICU, I would've liked to have seen my boys and had more time to figure out a great gift for my mother in law. I suppose getting a life saving surgery is a heck of a gift for me. I wont miss the air hunger or the heart hiccups (as I named them) or the water retention! Speaking of, I know you retain water after surgery but how long does that usually last?

Good luck tomorrow. "This, too, shall pass." Before you know it, it will be back to (a new) normal for you.

Not that it's any consolation, but I got out of ICU for my 18th birthday (does this guy know how to party, or what!?!). I also spent my 10th wedding anniversary in ICU. It has to happen some time, and the only good time for open heart is when you need it.

You'll be glad you wrote things down, but do yourself and your family a favor and don't obsess too much about sticking the list when you're trying to recover.

For water, they typically give you a water pill (I forget the name) that helps you get rid of it. I actually lost a lot of weight, and was down over 20 lbs from pre-surgery weight within two months of my surgery. Close to 35 lbs from my immediate post surgery inflated weight.

dreamy885;n876430 said:
Yesterday I wrote down my kids' schools names, addresses, phone numbers, teachers names, start and end times, etc. And then I went on to write like 3 giant paragraphs about how to take care of them, I couldn't decide if I was being a control freak, or just that I want their lives to stay as normal as possible while I'm away. Either way, when you put it on paper, it makes you realize how much you do, and as a mom, we can alway use reminders of that :)

Day and a half before I was originally scheduled I started to make "just in case" videos. I got through the one for my wife and made some attempts on the ones for the kids before I realized the whole thing was just for my benefit; just a way for me to cope. Those instructions could just be your way of coping.

Good luck. We can compare recovery notes if you like. As long the VA can get their stuff together this go-round, I'll be eight days behind you.

If you're superstitious about these things, you can believe that the MORE you prepare these 'just in case' lists, the LESS they'll be needed.
As far as a gift for your mother-in-law, if you both get along well, just being back from the other side should be better than any other gift you can give her.

ClickityClack;n876434 said:
Day and a half before I was originally scheduled I started to make "just in case" videos. I got through the one for my wife and made some attempts on the ones for the kids before I realized the whole thing was just for my benefit; just a way for me to cope. Those instructions could just be your way of coping.

Good luck. We can compare recovery notes if you like. As long the VA can get their stuff together this go-round, I'll be eight days behind you.

Oh my gosh I thought of that! Writing letters to my kids, just in case. I would've needed more time to think about what I wanted to say. My only fears right now are that I'm a light sleeper when it comes to sedation and I hope the anesthesiologist takes that into account, and I'm afraid of throwing up. The rest I think I can handle.

My best friend just came by and did a little photoshoot taking pictures of my current scar for me to remember, I'll share some when she sends them to me :)

Wow - I never, ever thought of writing 'just in case' letters, or videos......all I thought of in the days before surgery was how to prepare things for when I got home to make it easier for me and dh !

Heather - you usually get to see the anaethetist before surgery, mine paid me a visit the evening before (in the UK you are admitted the afternoon before surgery) and went through all my worries so that I could talk to him about things such as being a a light sleeper and how I was concerned about being awake during surgery ! And I was concerned about ICU psychosis. He went through all that very seriously with me, not belittling my worries, which allayed those fears. I hope you'll get the opportunity to talk to yours.

Once you feel up to it do come back here on forum and update us to how it went !

I'm two day 's post op. I was going to share a pic but the file is too big and I can't change that from my phone. The past two days were pretty horrible, not gonna lie. I'm so happy I chose mechanical so that I should t need surgery again. They say I'm doing really well, just walked a really long hallway and I'm starting to get my appetite back. I've been using my spirometer a lot, as bad as it hurts. Had to change pain meds because of throwing up and I'm on a couple anti nausea pill. I'll check in again tomorrow

I'm two day 's post op. I was going to share a pic but the file is too big and I can't change that from my phone. The past two days were pretty horrible, not gonna lie. I'm so happy I chose mechanical so that I should t need surgery again. They say I'm doing really well, just walked a really long hallway and I'm starting to get my appetite back. I've been using my spirometer a lot, as bad as it hurts. Had to change pain meds because of throwing up and I'm on a couple anti nausea pill. I got to see my kids today, the raised my spirits a lot! I'll check in again tomorrow.

I'm two day 's post op. I was going to share a pic but the file is too big and I can't change that from my phone. The past two days were pretty horrible, not gonna lie. I'm so happy I chose mechanical so that I should t need surgery again. They say I'm doing really well, just walked a really long hallway and I'm starting to get my appetite back. I've been using my spirometer a lot, as bad as it hurts. Had to change pain meds because of throwing up and I'm on a couple anti nausea pill. I got to see my kids today, the raised my spirits a lot! I'll check in again tomorrow.

Welcome back! :)

Fantastic you're slowly recovering, albeit with discomfort and sickness. But it's warming to hear you've walked a long hallway already and have managed to see your children.

Thank you for posting so soon after surgery. Wishing you good days of steady recovery ahead and the best of future health to you!

Latest posts

Back